UK petitions & campaigns - offer more support to the arts

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Signed. A choir colleague of mine is organising a petition asking for clarity on government policy on getting people back performing and there have been open letters from Sir Mark Elder and Sir Simon Rattle and from the choral directors of the country's major choirs to the same effect. I would say the more we push the better!

13 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I hope the fact that there are several does not dilute the impact.

The more the better in this instance, I think.

Words from Govt are no longer enough. We need to see a plan. The arts world needs a basis   ( financial and otherwise) on which they can build. ......... NOW.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

At the current rate of signing, the Petition should reach 50, 000 by 9.30 this morning.

Now over 83,000 (15:45).

Hopefully the  potential 100,000 Parliamentary debate trigger will be reached by the end of today. 

7 hours ago, capybara said:

The more the better in this instance, I think.

Words from Govt are no longer enough. We need to see a plan. The arts world needs a basis   ( financial and otherwise) on which they can build. ......... NOW.

The Editor of The Stage, Alistair Smith, champions your words, Capybara - and quite  right too!

Speaking to the Evening Standard about 10 days ago, culture secretary Oliver Dowden said: “I am not going to stand by and see our world-leading position in arts and culture destroyed.”

But, at the moment, that is precisely what he is doing. Talk is cheap. It is time for his actions to match his assurances.

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

Just signed, 85876, it was at least nice to hear the arts discussed at last evening's Briefings.

The daily briefings should be for information-giving, factual updating, engaging the public in the endeavour, and, crucially,  announcements about planned action. I didn't hear anything by way of action planning and financial support. [But I've said that already, I fear!] 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, capybara said:

It's reached  100,000 SIGNATURES now but the Government still only has to consider a parliamentary debate.

I don't think its the Government that decides whether to allow a debate rather the Petitions Committee of the HoC:

How will petitions be put forward for debate?

The Petitions Committee can recommend that petitions be debated in Westminster Hall. If the Petitions Committee decides that a petition should be debated in the main House of Commons Chamber, it would take that request to the Backbench Business Committee.

Will a petition with 100,000 signatures automatically be debated?

The  Petitions Committee will take the threshold of 100,000 signatures as a starting point when it considers which petitions should be debated.

But sometimes the Committee might not put forward a petition for debate if it’s got over 100,000 signatures – for  example, if the same subject has recently been debated or if a debate is going to happen soon. If that’s the case, we’ll tell you how you can find out more about parliamentary debates on the issue raised by your petition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pas de Quatre said:

If it is a Parliamentary petition then it is official. I read somewhere recently that others such as those from change.org are disregarded. (If I remember where, or find it, I will post here.)

I just mentioned that I had signed at least one other Parliamentary petition...

I can't find it now but it was about support for the Arts.  I also signed one about free lance artists who aren't getting any help from the various government schemes.

As you say, the more the better as long as they all get plenty of signatures and highlight the plight of the arts.

This also appears to be a petition for a parliamentary debate but with a funding appeal attached:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-the-uk-s-arts-and-cultural-industries?share=7cf1f365-9d79-42ca-867e-700451030917&source=&utm_source=

Does anyone know anything about this? Unlike the one which opened this thread, it doesn't have to be 'countersigned' by e-mail and that makes me slightly suspicious (probably wrongly!)

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere:

You recently signed the petition “Offer more support to the arts (particularly Theatres and Music) amidst COVID-19”:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/320711

The Petitions Committee, which is the group of MPs who oversee the petitions system, has agreed to schedule a debate in the House of Commons Chamber on Thursday 25 June on petitions calling for support for UK industries in response to Covid-19.

The debate is being held in response to the huge number of petitions, including the one you signed, that call for the Government to provide support for UK industries in response to Covid-19.

The start time of the debate will depend on other parliamentary business, but you can follow the Petitions Committee on Twitter @HoCpetitions, where we will post updates on when we expect the debate to start.

You will be able to watch the debate live here: 

https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/a7b6db44-6101-42c7-b2a0-32abd08b80ef

A transcript will be published the following day here: https://hansard.parliament.uk

• Like 6