RBS year 6 JA audition. Email class

Ballet Power

Congratulations to everyone with a yes. For those who haven’t been successful it is tough to take. Hope your little ones are okay. For those on SWL there are mixed emotions as there is a tiny bit of hope. We were SWL last year and nothing came of it. We said yes to go on the SWL this year and will see what happens but if we get other offers I guess we will go for them to make sure she doesn’t miss out. 

• Like 1

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our reading of the situation is that London may move to a Sunday and Birmingham may move to another venue for some of the first term back and that some Birmingham classes may have to move to a Sunday.  This is so the Associates are not in the centres at the same time as the school pupils.  Other venues will still be on a Saturday.  There is also the possibility that if the venues are not open or have to close due to local lockdowns they will have to offer Zoom classes.  This is arrangement they are currently looking at for the first term.

9 minutes ago, Dancing Kitty said:

Our reading of the situation is that London may move to a Sunday and Birmingham may move to another venue for some of the first term back and that some Birmingham classes may have to move to a Sunday.  This is so the Associates are not in the centres at the same time as the school pupils.  Other venues will still be on a Saturday.  There is also the possibility that if the venues are not open or have to close due to local lockdowns they will have to offer Zoom classes.  This is arrangement they are currently looking at for the first term.

Thanks v much! 

59 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Congratulations to all those who have yes! 

Do you think anyone would ever give up a place after gong to the trouble of auditioning?

There could be many reasons why someone wouldn't take up a place

• They  may be offered a full time vocational place somewhere
  • Family circumstances may change - if mum/dad looses their job they may not be able to afford the course and the travel involved any more
  • They may get injured or ill
  • They may have conflicting offers and realise they cannot fit everything in
  • They may decide that they no longer want to be a dancer.

I know of at least one person who got an offer from SWL.  Mum was so shocked when she got the phone call she thought it was someone playing a prank.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, glowlight said:

There could be many reasons why someone wouldn't take up a place

• They  may be offered a full time vocational place somewhere
  • Family circumstances may change - if mum/dad looses their job they may not be able to afford the course and the travel involved any more
  • They may get injured or ill
  • They may have conflicting offers and realise they cannot fit everything in
  • They may decide that they no longer want to be a dancer.

I know of at least one person who got an offer from SWL.  Mum was so shocked when she got the phone call she thought it was someone playing a prank.

Thank you for that. I don’t think there’s any full-time training from year 6? But any of the other things could happen. I know all the boys who started at Ballet Boost in the youngest group last September dropped out within a few weeks!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Tring Park has a Prep department for full time education from age 8 - 11.  I don't know whether it is a day school only or whether there is boarding available.  Have a look at their website if you want to know more.

It can be Day or Boarding (from school year 4-6) but it is not really so much an early start in full time vocational as we understand it from year 7, but more a very small prep school within the larger setting of Tring (with no funding available). They benefit from performance related lessons in addition to regular academic curriculum with great vocational teachers (dance/drama/singing etc) & using the wonderful Tring facilities. Plus a chance to see the older students productions etc so it’s a lovely immersive experience. It is entry by audition (but remember, no funding so it’s not going to be an opportunity available to all so not a true reflection of the greater talent pool out there!) with a mix of interests across all performance genres. I would not say it is perfect preparation for pure ballet vocational auditions for year 7 entry nor is it a guarantee of a place (or funding) to join onto any of the courses at Tring main school. They still have to audition for places on the courses (dance/drama/music/performance foundation) & if successful first round of dance then they have to do the MDS funding audition alongside every ‘external’ candidate. I would really assess your own individual family needs & finances & see what you can achieve in terms of quality/quantity of training locally & with associate schemes etc.

Tring CBA (Classical Ballet Academy) & other similar quality ‘associate’ schemes probably offer higher level targeted ballet training than in the Prep ballet classes as it’s entry by ballet audition so all in classes are ballet focussed with ballet potential. 

Good luck all!

And as others say, the rejections can be character forming & helps individuals truly set their goals & design paths to achieve them!

2 minutes ago, Dancermom said:

Does anyone know how many are on the SWL for each centre? X 

No but to me it looks like they have taken more on waiting list than previous years I am hoping that this is because of social distancing and not knowing what’s going on in September with Centres and whether kids can go back to their dance studios.  With all this uncertainty it’s better to say a definite yes to less and put others on a waiting and see how it pans out.  Fingers crossed this is the case as my DD received SWL as well.

I hope you’re right but I seem to remember there are always a lot of children given SWL. Do you think it’s still possible for dance teachers to phone for feedback? It’s stressful not knowing whether it’s worth applying for vocational schools now that year 6 is only a couple of months away. I was hoping my son’s current associate scheme would give pointers/ advice but no! Big decision to make 

7 minutes ago, Ed_DanceMum said:

It does seem that there are a lot on the waiting list this year, certainly on this forum. 
It’s weird that on my Vimeo plus it still shows that our video hasn’t been watched. All that checking was for nothing! 

Ours was definitely watched on the 24th we had Vimeo plus.  That is strange.  Definitely more on the waiting list for our small centre any way so I am really hoping things may change in a months time when we know what September will looks like.  

17 minutes ago, Ed_DanceMum said:

It does seem that there are a lot on the waiting list this year, certainly on this forum. 
It’s weird that on my Vimeo plus it still shows that our video hasn’t been watched. All that checking was for nothing! 

Did you get a no/yes/SWL? X 

Maybe they are only having smaller classes this year. They usually take a whole other class in year 6 so they have two classes. This is the case in bham and London I think anyway so maybe that wasn’t possible this year due to social distancing, which would explain less yes’s 🤔 

11 minutes ago, Ballet Dreams said:

Ours was definitely watched on the 24th we had Vimeo plus.  That is strange.  Definitely more on the waiting list for our small centre any way so I am really hoping things may change in a months time when we know what September will looks like.  

Yes it’s a bit odd. We are pleased with the SWL anyway and you’re right, could be loads of change by Sept anyway! 

5 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Well done to everyone!! SWL is also great.....my DD got SWL in year 4.....3 days later we got a phonecall giving her a place. She got to WL finals and has a place at Elmhurst full time. I will keep my fingers crossed!

Thats amazing, well done to your DD.  Gives me hope for my DD who is on SWL for London.  I do wonder how much covid is having an affect on places being offered.

50 minutes ago, JoB said:

We had a no for year 5 and now have a swl for year 6 Totnes, just keeping everything crossed but feels unlikely 🤞🤞

We have SWL for Totnes as well and I know of three others with SWL so I agree feels very unlikely we would all get a space.  Fingers crossed for us both though. 

8 minutes ago, Ballet Dreams said:

We have SWL for Totnes as well and I know of three others with SWL so I agree feels very unlikely we would all get a space.  Fingers crossed for us both though. 

Good luck to you too!! Be lovely if they could find them all places 🤞🤞. The obsessive email checking continues 😩😩

We were a yes for birmingham centre this year. My daughters been on the waiting list for the last two years so a lovely surprise to be accepted. Hope swl girls are given places and keep auditioning if a no. Dont let the kiddies give up on there dreams xx

Edited by Dancemumma
  • Like 2

Please don’t give up hope if on SWL as we know two girls who were offered MA places from the list. One took a place after a girl confirmed she wouldn’t be taking her MA place as was going to boarding school and another was offered a place after someone declined the place through taking other associate places (non RBS).

There is often movement between places. We know someone who got an SA place but only did year 1 and didn’t wish to continue to do year 2 as found it too much with a 3 hour train ride there and with the pressures of school work in year 11. 

So whilst I wouldn’t assume your DC will get a place, places do sometimes become available. 

Fingers crossed and well done on gaining a place on SWL as it’s very very competitive and not easy!!

xx

Edited by Proudmumofdd
  • Like 1

Just a word of warning to anyone who created a Vimeo plus account. I’ve just noticed a payment of £89.20 pending to come off my account.  To avoid this you have to opt out of auto-renew before 30 days has lapsed. So make sure you do this and remove your card details too. I Didn’t even remember adding them when I set up the account. I just googled how to cancel the subscription and it was really easy - just a few steps. Thought I should mention it in case it affects anyone else!