LIVE FROM COVENT GARDEN

sorry to have raised some hackles by mentioning The Times article, which I think,although I found his brief mention of the ballet somewhat dismissive, was a fair review of the concert as a whole. Maybe I would have enthused about the Dance if I hadn't had such problems first being unable to access it, then joining it in the middle and then not being able to get back to the beginning.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp
23 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

sorry to have raised some hackles by mentioning The Times article, which I think,although I found his brief mention of the ballet somewhat dismissive, was a fair review of the concert as a whole. Maybe I would have enthused about the Dance if I hadn't had such problems first being unable to access it, then joining it in the middle and then not being able to get back to the beginning.

Hackles already up by the utterly dismissive Times article. But agree there were good points raised there and esp the DanceTabs article about the program and presenting. 

Hopefully the ROH will have sorted out their access issues this Sat. The first one (of any new technology) was bound to have a few glitches but based on the comments they had an awful lot. I had no problem but I have a "stupid" TV and watched on my laptop. They have not announced any further programs (I think) so maybe this will be the last one.  

32 minutes ago, oncnp said:

They have not announced any further programs (I think) so maybe this will be the last one.  

I was less than impressed that they mounted an huge and presumably costly survey to check out responses to the idea of a pay to watch service at the same time as they were already anticipating the results with an actual pay to watch service on Vimeo - but hopefully, if the latter was merely a test run, the overall responses taken together will inform their future actions. I wonder if the actual takeup has supported the findings in the analysis of the survey. We shall probably never know but it will be fascinating to see what they do next.

Edited by David
Spelling

I don't mind the £4.99 -  it's very good value, but I do mind not being able to watch. I've been unable to watch any of the Dutch National Ballet screenings unless they are in You Tube, but at least I'm not paying for them! I think the main annoyance with the ROH is that when you pay you are sent what appears to be a perfectly normal website link and you then can't access the programme on certain systems. Vimeo does list which systems it works on but this is not readily available until you've paid your fiver!

Guest oncnp
21 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

I don't mind the £4.99 -  it's very good value, but I do mind not being able to watch. I've been unable to watch any of the Dutch National Ballet screenings unless they are in You Tube, but at least I'm not paying for them! I think the main annoyance with the ROH is that when you pay you are sent what appears to be a perfectly normal website link and you then can't access the programme on certain systems. Vimeo does list which systems it works on but this is not readily available until you've paid your fiver!

The Vimeo help page - with the browsers available - is available from the "Find out more" option on the ROH website (so no money required). But why would you think of looking as one would think/hope the ROH would use a service compatible with all the major browsers/operating systems? Better "signage" certainly would have been helpful as would putting up the stream more than 5 minutes ahead of time so folks have a chance to work out their issues, esp for the first broadcast.  

Edited by oncnp

I tried to watch something on Vimeo yesterday on my TV via my NOW stick only to discover that it doesn't seem to support finding files that require passwords...  I was able to watch it on my laptop using the link provided but the TV would have been much better.

57 minutes ago, alison said:

Can you still not view it, then, ninamargaret?  I'd assumed you were only talking about viewing it live.

yes, I managed in the end. Then got halfway through the Mahler, decided I'd rather watch Muntagirov again and cannot slide along to either the beginning of the end! I notice there have been over 600 comments on the web page, a large number with similar or worse problems and some very annoyed at paying and being unable to see.

6 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

I assume Mr Morrison is more of an opera fan.

I understand the greater ease of presenting singing and orchestral playing currently, but my guess is that these concerts are aimed at encouraging the ROH’s opera audience to dig as deep into their pockets as they have to do to attend a normal performance.

I am struck, however, by the massive and international impact of Vadim Muntagirov’s dancing - it really seems to have ‘hit the spot’ at this moment in time. A wonderful example of a body speaking in a way which words cannot.

• Like 9

Guest oncnp
On 23/06/2020 at 12:00, David said:

I was less than impressed that they mounted an huge and presumably costly survey to check out responses to the idea of a pay to watch service at the same time as they were already anticipating the results with an actual pay to watch service on Vimeo - but hopefully, if the latter was merely a test run, the overall responses taken together will inform their future actions. I wonder if the actual takeup has supported the findings in the analysis of the survey. We shall probably never know but it will be fascinating to see what they do next.

Not much apparently. The ROH posted today that "We're hugely excited about the third and final concert in our Live from Covent Garden series, "

Edited by oncnp

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, capybara said:

They are presumably going to continue streaming recorded material, although it is time they gave us a big classical/neo classical work.

In a perfect world, with no rights issues, what would you like to see?

the 20th June evening has disappeared from my account, has this happened to anyone else? 
Update: Ok I seem to have got it back by going to the email and using that route.

Edited by Janite

Guest oncnp
9 minutes ago, Janite said:

the 20th June evening has disappeared from my account, has this happened to anyone else?

I can still view through the ROH streaming page accessed through the Live at Covent Garden page https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/festival/live-from-covent-garden-details then clicked through June 20 "Buy on Vimeo".  

Edited by oncnp

2 minutes ago, oncnp said:

I can still view through the ROH streaming page accessed through the Live at Covent Garden page https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/festival/live-from-covent-garden-details then clicked through June 20 "Buy on Vimeo".  

thank you Oncnp for your prompt reply, that is a good route that I will use if it happens again

I see that the ROH web site now states clearly that their live programmes cannot be accessed by streaming from a smart tv. To view, it is necessary to either a phone, tablet or pc and connect to the tv. As a slightly technologically challenged,lady I am unwilling to disconnect items connected to my HDMI ports, buy the correct connection lead, and then have to reconnect and  re set up the connections for my Fire stick and DVD player. I've been happily watching streamed programmes and think the ROH could have come up with something simpler.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, alison said:

I shall be interested, having bought a spare HDMI cable, to see whether I can stream Saturday's programme to a dumb TV ...

Good luck!  please let me know. At the moment I'm feeling that it's a case of the ROH making things as complicated as possible!

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, alison said:

I'd imagine the blame probably ought to be put on Vimeo.  One would hope the ROH had simply taken it for granted that streaming to Smart TVs would be available.

I would have hoped the ROH would have checked and made sure.  

1 hour ago, ninamargaret said:

Good luck!  please let me know. At the moment I'm feeling that it's a case of the ROH making things as complicated as possible!

To be fair to them, they're probably working with a skeleton staff at the moment and putting this out in the way they did was probably the simplest and most cost effective way available. (The payment and access part will have added complexity which the website isn't intrinsically equipped to deal with.) They probably didn't foresee the Smart TV problems, but I don't think, given the experimental nature of these concerts, that this is unforgivable.

I haven't always approved of or understood the ROH's actions, but they're doing their best in what must be very stressful circumstances and with the threat of redundancies hanging over them. A little more good faith from us would not go amiss.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 13

I agree with your comments Lizbie1, but there were so many comments

on the web site from people who had been unable to access it, I suspect many from people who had thought it a good way to see something from the ROH, and had thought that it was just a matter of paying their £4.99 , receiving their link and settling down for a good evening. Some were even asking for their money back.. They might not be as understanding or forgiving as Forum members!

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
23 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

, I suspect many from people who had thought it a good way to see something from the ROH, and had thought that it was just a matter of paying their £4.99 , receiving their link and settling down for a good evening. Some were even asking for their money back.. 

This how the ROH sold it. People thought they were paying for a program, not making a donation so I hope those that want refunds get them. 

In fairness to the ROH, they knew about the problem. Buried in the help page is the disclaimer that it might not work on a smart TV along with a suggestion to get around the problem. They could have saved themselves a lot of grief and bad PR by putting this and the supported browser up front where people could see before they ordered.  

Edited by oncnp

21 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

To be fair to them, they're probably working with a skeleton staff at the moment and putting this out in the way they did was probably the simplest and most cost effective way available. (The payment and access part will have added complexity which the website isn't intrinsically equipped to deal with.) They probably didn't foresee the Smart TV problems, but I don't think, given the experimental nature of these concerts, that this is unforgivable.

I haven't always approved of or understood the ROH's actions, but they're doing their best in what must be very stressful circumstances and with the threat of redundancies hanging over them. A little more good faith from us would not go amiss.

I got an E-mail thanking me for my Friends renewal, and apologising that they cannot send out a new card until they are back in their office, which was nice of them.

• Like 2

I don’t know if I’m too late, but another option would be if you have a computer or laptop with HDMI, just use a HDMI cable to connect the Computer/Laptop with a TV that supports HDMI. This will mirror the video on your TV.

Much better presentation all round tonight with very clear on screen instructions for five minutes before the start.

Excellent linking by Katie Derham a and the inclusion of short interviews with the directors and artists is a big plus.

Some superb performances in a well-balanced programme. Both Magri and Kaneko outstanding.

Now that the ROH has got the measure of doing this, one wonders why they are  stopping at three concerts.

• Like 8

Guest oncnp
1 minute ago, Rob S said:

Were the dances live this time?

No - they never have been. They just made it clear tonight

Thought both couples - Matthew Ball and Mayara Magri and Fumi Kaneko and Reece Clarke - absolutely gorgeous and enjoyed the whole programme very much. So looking forward to being able to go back to the Royal Opera House in person. Hope it won't be too long before it's possible.

• Like 7