Assessment/appraisal results

JulieW

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely agree , but I'm so glad that I don't have to face that emotional upheaval and the stress of finding alternatives just now - after a year of auditions and adjustments to famy life - letting go , settling in and the long trips to and fro ! I don't think I have any energy left !

I feel so for any parent who has to face that so soon and wish that not too many of them are in year 7/8 !

Courage and strength to you ????

• Like 3

If a child is assessed out of WL, say, would Elmhurst audition them even if they had missed the formal audition/application date.  It seems that the appraisals are after the auditions and I am wondering how that would work.  I am getting ahead of myself as DS is not even at one of these schools yet, but the appraisals system does influence if/where we would send him if offered....

From reading the above, do I take it the benchmark is not as high at Elmhurst and some other schools as it is at WL, another reason I ask is a boy didn't get to the final in his audition for WL upper school, but got an invite to another well known school without attending the final? Or is it different styles or body make up etc each school are looking for, I do have my own opinion but wondered what other forum members think?

The year my son left WL he got into Elmhurst, one of the girls went to Tring and a couple of them went home but went to dance college for sixth form. Kathy's son did the same as mine the following year, but I have to admit that I don't know about following years - Kathy might have more idea. (And two boys the year above mine did the same and are now working as professional ballet dancers.)

It depends why they've been assessed out. If it's because there's something "wrong" physically that means they won't be a classical dancer then they probably won't get into another school, but if they just don't fit the WL model there may be no reason why they shouldn't succeed elsewhere - like my son. They don't always get it right (in that Miss Stock said they assess out those who they didn't think would become professionals - I know plenty who did).

• Like 1

As far as I am aware Elmhurst haven't taken any students that have been assessed out from WL for several years, although they can attend final audition.

Talking about year 9 only; four years ago Elmhurst took 4 students assessed out of WL. Threeyears ago they made offers but the students went elsewhere. Two years ago no one was assessed out. Not sure what happened last year. Edited by Ribbons
  • Like 1

True, every year and every situation is different. Generally though I would say that those who wish to continue training do find good solutions be it at another full time school or with good local teachers.

And they often do very well indeed, WL doesnt suit everyone and assessing out can be a blessing in disguise although it wont feel that way Im sure.

We are so lucky on this forum to have people share this experience with us (there was very little information on this topic 10 years ago!) Thank you those who have shared the not so nice part of the system here.

However we must remember that many people wish to move on quietly and put assessing out behind them so I am not sure its wise to refer to recent cases (as interesting as it is!) because the Ballet world is so small and people are easily identifiable. They may very well read this thread themselves and not wish to recognise their own personal situation, never mind see it being discussed. Obviously its a different matter if they themselves have shared their stories.

There really is no set pattern as to numbers assessed out from year to year, the reasons why or what happens next other than things generally do work out for the best.

My heart goes out to all having to make hard choices at the moment.good luck to you all.

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 11

I have great sympathy for anyone assessed out and I am sorry if it happens to anyone on here.  My DS is auditioning at the moment and from my point of view, part of the decision on where to go (if we are offered!) may be the assessment procedure.  So, without naming any names of course, I would be interested if anyone knows how many years 7s have been assessed out of WL or Elmhurst this year.  If, say, a large number were assessed out in year 7 this would influence our decision I think....

I wouldn't focus on this year, Susyszoo, parents and children will be still be coming to terms with the news and some of them may read this forum.

My understanding is that in general, only 1 or 2 children are assessed out of WL  in Y7 (and sometimes none!); then a couple in Y8 and then 5 or so from Y9. Plus, it is not uncommon for children to leave of their own accord for various reasons - the realisation that ballet is a hobby but not their vocation; homesickness; seeing the 'writing on the wall' re. appraisals. 

• Like 3

My thoughts are with any pupils returning to school over the next day or so, after a disappointing appraisal result. It must be an incredibly difficult time and I hope they all get all the support and help they need to move on to whatever the next stage is for them. And also positive thoughts for the parents as I can imagine that they too are going through a lot of stress.

• Like 5

I wouldn't focus on this year, Susyszoo, parents and children will be still be coming to terms with the news and some of them may read this forum.

My understanding is that in general, only 1 or 2 children are assessed out of WL  in Y7 (and sometimes none!); then a couple in Y8 and then 5 or so from Y9. Plus, it is not uncommon for children to leave of their own accord for various reasons - the realisation that ballet is a hobby but not their vocation; homesickness; seeing the 'writing on the wall' re. appraisals.

I completely agree, Marianne. With appraisals taking place so recently there are bound to be people reading who are feeling very raw at the moment. My heart goes out to them because although we know it is in no way the end of the journey - and good things will hopefully come out of the experience - I should imagine that initially it feels like the end of the world.

• Like 7

Totally agree, even by just stating numbers , people in this situation will recognise themselves. My heart goes out to them.

And its really no use looking at numbers anyway as they are not consistent each year. My ds year had no one assessed out in year 7 but unfortunately this wasnt the case for some of the year groups that followed. If anyone had used my ds year as a benchmark they will have been lulled into a false sense of security.

Fact is is that at WL you really are only "safe" once you reach year 10. This really bothered me when ds decided to take his place so I understand prospective parents concerns now. However what I could have done with knowing then is that those who choose to continue training still do very well. A WL teacher at the time did say that the students assessed out are still among the best and get snapped up elsewhere. At the time I wasnt reassured but Ive seen with my own eyes that this is the case and some ended up becoming professional dancers earlier than those who made it through to upper school. And the early WL training still made a difference.

Had I been reading these posts 10 years ago I reckon Id have been a lot more relaxed about sending my ds in the first place.

• Like 5

I am really sorry if I have caused anyone upset in reading this and you are all right, the figures this year are not a guide to what might happen next year.  I don't want to be lulled into a false sense of security as you say, but I am just so torn between knowing what to do for the best if we are lucky to be offered any place for next year.

I`ve never been in this situation,but all I would say is this. Ask yourself which you /your child would regret more;having tried and failed / been assessed out ,or to have never "gone for it" for fear of something that may or may not never happen anyway? Only you can answer that.

• Like 3

It is indeed,Suzyszoo. But I would imagine the whole process for a child, whatever the outcome to be very character building, and what doesn`t kill you makes you stronger and all that. But it also depends on the character of the individual child i think as well.Some children would not be able to take possible rejection and might even be detrimental to them. I guess it`s different for every individual.

Why not just sleep on it for a week or so and try to put to the back of your mind? (Ha ha!) If your DC is lucky enough to be offered a place you may find the answer ready by then- often your brain just sorts it out subconsciously.

Personally I agree with thequays that u r much more likely to regret not doing something. ......

Edited by sarahw
  • Like 4

It is indeed,Suzyszoo. But I would imagine the whole process for a child, whatever the outcome to be very character building, and what doesn`t kill you makes you stronger and all that. But it also depends on the character of the individual child i think as well.Some children would not be able to take possible rejection and might even be detrimental to them. I guess it`s different for every individual.

Well put and character building it certainly is... Our dd went away at 11 suzyszoo and even though she loved the school and dancing she hated the boarding and gave up her place ;( it was heart breaking at the time but she/us are so glad she tried so she hasn't been left always wondering "what if?" Good luck and I'm sure everything will fall into place ;)

• Like 2

I'm not in the U.K. but can relate to the assessment concerns and situation as there are many similarities. My dd started vocational ballet school at 11 and for the first 4 years had the same roommate. Needless to say they were (and still are) best friends. Both are 'only child' and they have become more like sisters over the years. So when this roommate was assessed out after the 4th years it felt devastating. Almost makes me want to cry just thinking about how upset the girls were.

Now it is 2 years later and both girls are doing fabulously. My dd is still going strong in her program. The friend has chosen not to pursue dance but has focused on her academics in order to fulfil her other dream.... of getting into a medical program and being a Doctor. All that discipline and focused energy just had to be re-directed. She has kept in touch with other past classmates and it seems to be a common trait of wanting to excel. Perhaps that is part of what got them accepted in the first-place.

So not all is lost. And I think if given the choice, most if not all of the past students would agree that they would do it again for the experiences.

• Like 12