Assessment/appraisal results

JulieW

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

. I can see what you mean about an "unsatisfactory" student taking up a much-needed place, but it's a kinder way to treat children of this age, and I believe there are some who go on to get Satisfactory in following years - children change such a lot at this age. Part of me thinks WL is better, being "cruel to be kind" but then I come back to how young these students are and what a huge impact these decisions have on them.

Is it really better to stay? What can it do to those poor children that have been told that they aren't good enough for the school to have to spend perhaps another year there!! Best to be out of it and find a school that does like you!

But they're not saying they don't like you, just that you haven't passed your assessment this year. At least they are giving you the chance to see how things change. As someone else pointed out, children have been assessed out of WL to get back in again in subsequent years, having gone away and either changed physically or just improved whatever might have needed improving. Using our own example, had WL kept my son on, they'd have seen a huge improvement over the following two years - although some of that was due to going to Elmhurst where he was in a small class with an excellent physio (who referred him for review).

On the point about going back for the last term and a half - we wouldn't have dreamed of him leaving before the end of the year as it was his home and he was very happy there. The "last time" doing everything was really sad but I can't imagine having missed out on his last time doing the Defile on the ROH stage, or performing at the summer fair. But others are different and would rather leave - I do understand that.

• Like 3

It seems to me that when a particular school, especially one attached to a company, assesses a student out the verdict is not tnecessarily hat the student isn't up to par, but may not fit in with the particular company the school serves. Or doesn't quite fit into the view/style of that particular school. It doesn't mean that the student would not fit in anywhere.

• Like 3

On the point about going back for the last term and a half - we wouldn't have dreamed of him leaving before the end of the year as it was his home and he was very happy there. The "last time" doing everything was really sad but I can't imagine having missed out on his last time doing the Defile on the ROH stage, or performing at the summer fair. But others are different and would rather leave - I do understand that.

It was very much the same for us DS still went back after half term (he was the only one of the group he was assessed out with)even though we had to take him out 2 days later for Elmhurst audition. He still got an awful lot out of the last term and a half, as Julie said performing at the summer fair where he got to wear a kilt! Have to say though I was glad that our year was when the Opera House grand defile wasn't on the last day but the week before and as there were no Linbury performances only performances at W/L and students left for the summer at different times it made the last day much easier.

I think the majority of those assessed out take it in their stride and move on to the next, their determination to dance keeps them going.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

My DD was happy to leave at the Easter holiday, we wanted her to leave immediately although she needed to stay and complete music exams, competitions etc.

As she choose not to audition elsewhere and finish her GCSE years at home before thinking of vocational schools again, she needed to integrate back into 'regular schooling', we felt it would be much easier if she started at the start of summer term rather than having a long wait until September - she needed to get her teeth into a new project and build new friendships.

She has done brilliantly, her projected GCSE grades are now much higher and for us its worked out well.  Again its a personal thing and you must do what is right for your family.  Good luck to everyone xx

Edited by BankruptMum
  • Like 4

Well after reading all these posts, it's a wonder we even allow our DC to even audition for places at vocational schools, for fear of being assessed out and all the pain that must go with it. I know most parents would obviously still like their children to get a place, but we should get it in our minds that being assessed out can happen to anyone for quite different reasons. It must be a very nervous time of the year when the appraisals do come round, 

• Like 4

If a child is assessed out of WL, say, would Elmhurst audition them even if they had missed the formal audition/application date.  It seems that the appraisals are after the auditions and I am wondering how that would work.  I am getting ahead of myself as DS is not even at one of these schools yet, but the appraisals system does influence if/where we would send him if offered....

We were "lucky" that there was one more audition for Elmhurst after my son got his letter from WL, so it was a rushed process of phone calls and photos. in more recent years the auditions have been finished so I'd like to hear from others about what happened.

Thank you all for your messages of congratulation which I have passed on to DS of course This is our first time to go through this and although the assessing out danger is mainly years 9 and 11 it is still nerve wracking waiting for and opening "the letter"

It's such a relief to see that he is officially doing well as one is always aware of the shortcomings of ones own judgment when watching a class !

The grading system at Elmhurst has changed and they say they are now trialing a new one !

"To more accurately reflect the range of abilities across the school in a bid to raise standards "

There are now 5 categories

20 - Cause for Concern

20 + Meeting the required standard

25 + Good

30+ Very Good

40+ Excellent

How the marks are arrived , or what they are out of at we do not know , but the children will have a tutorial with the Artistic Director and their Year Group Tutor , where the results and grades will be discussed in detail .

Weather or not I will actually get a reasonable accout of that meeting remains to be seen - knowing my DS it will be an " it's fine mum"

with very little detail !

Good luck to any still waiting

• Like 3

Picturesinthefirelight do you know what 'each aspect' they are marked on is?

In the age of transparency in exam marking etc meaning people can see which areas they did better on/worse on it would surely be useful to know these? Or do the schools still want to keep an 'air of mystery'?!?

In the age of transparency in exam marking etc meaning people can see which areas they did better on/worse on it would surely be useful to know these? Or do the schools still want to keep an 'air of mystery'?!?

the assessment was very clear and was in the following format, each criteria marked out of 5 with 1 being the highest. There was also a comment section that outlined strengths and areas of improvement.

Approach to work: commitment, progress

Artistic skills: technique/use of muscles/posture, projection/expression/dynamics, musicality, co-ordination/head and eye-line

Technical skills: adage, use of feet/footwork, pirouettes, allegro

Edited to say sorry I don't know how to quote using my iPad!

Edited by All4dancers
  • Like 1

Sad to hear of lots of students with bad news. If any of you are reading this, my heartfelt sympathy goes out to you; I remember all too clearly the day our letter arrived as I've said before.

If you need a chat, virtual or phone, please feel free to send me a pm. Anything we discuss will be in complete confidence.

• Like 13

It might be 'bad news' at the moment but the experiences and training that those young people have had will always be with them and will always make them stand a little bit taller, and go that little bit further in life.

I wish any youngster who has recently had 'bad news' (and their families) comfort, inner strength, pride for their achievements so far and courage to face the next chapter of their lives.

• Like 13

Absolutely! It turned out to be the best thing that could've happened to my son and will always consider himself lucky to have been at the RBS for 3 years - such an amazing experience despite the pain at the end. It feels like the end of the world, but that feeling doesn't have to last if you don't let it.

• Like 8