Jump to content
Proudmumofdd

Vocational schools still shut??

Recommended Posts

Even though English schools are reopened or starting to reopen, I’m assuming vocational schools like Royal Elmhurst YDA etc etc  are still shut to boarders and day pupils 

 

 

is that the case? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I am aware the vocational schools will not be reopening till September.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

State secondary schools aren’t opening until at least September apart from maybe a few tutorials for year 10. I don’t think private secondaries are opening either 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When schools were asked  to facilitate some contact for Year 10 & 12's boarding schools were given no advice on how to manage the issue of having boarders on site and so I believe ther majority, if not all, boarding schools are remaining closed.  Indeed, many state secondary schools are not opening for those year groups or just having the odd individual tutorial session.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our High School in Wales, not a vocational one are opening gradually from 29th June. To be honest my kids are ready for it, I’ve taught them all I can but struggle with some of the stuff they study! They haven’t seen any of their friends for 12 weeks and they are ready for going back. I haven’t missed being taxi tho! I’m a nurse on a Covid+ ward, I have worked right the way through and will have them all tooled up with the sanitiser etc etc! 
when they were first off the novelty of being at home doing school work motivated them, now I’d have to put a rocket up their bums to get them interested!! 😂 
Come back teachers!! 😂😂

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter who is currently in year 12 independent day school, is going back on 15th June. Working in individual pods and only 25% of girls back at one time- only 2 full days on the run aloud.  That is day. My Son finished sixth form last year at a boarding school, they are not back yet, they have been told September return...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see how vocational schools can reopen with boarders 

how would the pupils socially distance? Some go

home every weekend or so therefore reintroducing risks if infection each time they return to school. 
so so difficult. 
staying well and safe is so important 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I see it boarders are easier to accommodate if they are told that they can’t go home! And all ‘contact staff’ stay on site too and they don’t go out in the evenings!!   They are more in a bubble than any state school and more controls can be implemented, the problem is with schools who except day pupils and 16+ vocational students who live with host families and mixed halls of residence ........ the Hammond being one

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had wondered about the whole mix of day pupils & boarders....almost thinking that it’d be ‘easier’ to open just to boarders who could almost be ‘self isolated’ in small groups - a small group sleeping in same dorm, using same dining table & taught together initially for 2 weeks to monitor for any symptoms etc.... then groups could be reintroduced to be together....but then I think better to do away with exeat/half term....& not sure families would cope with all that? Maybe Upper School age? 

These are just musings....from a mum with kids desperate to be back at school (& let’s just say I’m enthusiastic fir that too!! 🍷🍷🍷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

I had wondered about the whole mix of day pupils & boarders....almost thinking that it’d be ‘easier’ to open just to boarders who could almost be ‘self isolated’ in small groups - a small group sleeping in same dorm, using same dining table & taught together initially for 2 weeks to monitor for any symptoms etc.... then groups could be reintroduced to be together....but then I think better to do away with exeat/half term....& not sure families would cope with all that? Maybe Upper School age? 

These are just musings....from a mum with kids desperate to be back at school (& let’s just say I’m enthusiastic fir that too!! 🍷🍷🍷

The hammond released The BA’s then the PS and then the lower School as it was due to the control level as all BA’s dive in halls or flats, my poor daughter has still got notes in her locker!!  🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guidance for boarding schools treats them as a ‘household’ for these purposes. I have seen some updated advice for them somewhere but I’ve looked at that many pages of education advice in the past couple of weeks I’ve no idea where I saw it!! 🤦🏼‍♀️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MrsMoo2 said:

Come back teachers!! 😂😂

 

Our teachers in England haven’t stopped working; schools stayed open for children of key workers.  The teachers working from home have been providing online lessons.  

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only did they stay open (throughout all holidays as well) but working online is as frustrating for the staff as well as students.  Marking takes 3x longer, and developing new teaching resources is time consuming.

 

Not complaining just saying ..

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I had wondered about the whole mix of day pupils & boarders....almost thinking that it’d be ‘easier’ to open just to boarders who could almost be ‘self isolated’ in small groups - a small group sleeping in same dorm, using same dining table & taught together initially for 2 weeks to monitor for any symptoms etc.... then groups could be reintroduced to be together....but then I think better to do away with exeat/half term....& not sure families would cope with all that? Maybe Upper School age? 

These are just musings....from a mum with kids desperate to be back at school (& let’s just say I’m enthusiastic fir that too!! 🍷🍷🍷

That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking, even go back 2 weeks early to go the 14 day isolation, easier for upper school I agree, especially those living independently, just isolate with house mates 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Loulou said:

That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking, even go back 2 weeks early to go the 14 day isolation, easier for upper school I agree, especially those living independently, just isolate with house mates 

That has all ready been suggested as an idea to the BA’s at the Hammond so I would of thought that’s been also a  thought for the whole school 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I know my DD starting Upper School wouid very happily go back to start term early....is it wrong as a mum to also like that idea?????🤔

I imagine though lots of impact on booked family holidays (or is that an ironic laugh thought?) 

And of course the costs....how to finance it from own & any government/bursary awards....

complicated 

Edited by Peanut68
Add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anna C said:

 

Our teachers in England haven’t stopped working; schools stayed open for children of key workers.  The teachers working from home have been providing online lessons.  

 

 

I imagine it’s the same across the UK. 
 

I can’t see vocational boarding schools starting back in September with boarders if I’m totally honest as I think the safely implications will be too far reaching. Hopefully they will but I’m being realistic 

 

stay well everyone as this is the priority in my opinion 

stay safe 😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My DD has quite readily decided all her dancing plans for next year cannot be decided now, though the intention is to return to the UK to complete certain goals. She is now flying as an independent, loosely attached to three entities in the Uk and Portugal but  open to other international offers for short term attachments.So whether she joins a company for a short contract or particular project, does  competitions or events, and passes time or terms at pre-professional courses around Europe, she has learned to consider the future fluid and as subject to serendipity or other people's whims, conceptions or misconceptions as to personal plans . 

She has found so many sources to study for her academic qualifications, and other material, she never has a dull moment. She is as excited now by the opportunity to use this 'spare time' for her own cultural and artistic development as she was at the start. She is reading literature, poetry and watching plays,is exploring historical aspects of dance, anatomy and physiology, studying different curriculums and listening extensively to three or four centuries of music . Even did a course online with a joint French and Serbian venture yesterday. The next project is an online convention where there are great scholarships to be won. So she is not bored yet. Mores the pity because I would like help in the garden sometime.

 

And ...we are lucky that she can return to the studio in her home town here in Portugal .We are further down the path of the undoing of isolation here;  solos, duets or small groups only for now ,given the instructions for studios, and I see teacher friends working in Spain too with small groups.However, a friend of DD's studying in Madrid can't get back to join her colleagues, because land borders are still closed and intercommunity movements restricted still,, and another lad can't get back to class in Germany, but their old classmates in the national school are in the same boat with online classes, although I think I saw an announcement of live auditions planned for the end of June as normal and school normally finishes at the end of June. The  residences closed temporarily too. Other non-boarding vocational schools in Portugal are auditioning as normal for start in September, but in any case, only  the final two years are currently in  state schools ( since June) and finishing  final exams for uni entrance. Strict hygiene rules and distancing are in place everywhere so the studio or school is no different. Even temperatures and triage are taken regularly at entrances to places.There is general observance and respect of rules, and effective rolling lockdowns based on track and trace. Let´s see what happens to the numbers here in the next few weeks, given that greater internal movement is allowed and airtravel and tourism open.

 

It will be interesting to see if some late- planned pop-up summer schools set up with some of the top schools or teachers here , to compensate for lost studio/ performance  time or for pre-season preparation , guided by local  government advice of course.

So watch this space, if anything interesting is posted I will pass it on, 14 day UK quarantine rules, flights and other restrictions depending ... Who knows?

 

All I know is, at this point I am saving money in lessons, dance material, tutus and uniform, travel passes and train fares, bed and board, flights,accommodation costs and  enrollment fees for short courses and competitions, and gym membership, and we have great family dinners that we haven't had for six years since she started to study away, with lots of lively conversation, and my husband gets to try out new recipes for appreciative diners.   

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, meadowblythe said:

Not only did they stay open (throughout all holidays as well) but working online is as frustrating for the staff as well as students.  Marking takes 3x longer, and developing new teaching resources is time consuming.

 

Not complaining just saying ..


unfortunately this isn’t universal Ours has been shut since day 1 and no online lessons either, many have also heavily restricted key worker places. Which is not to say teachers aren’t working but many children are getting zero contact time with teachers which is what we’d all like to see come back! Teachers are very much missed!

 

i don’t think a boarding school is ever going to be a closed system because staff will be coming and going, children might need to go home for various reasons, or to get medical treatment, or to have pointe shoe fittings etc. I guess they just need more time to plan how they will manage that risk, and how to react if they did get a case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The provision of academics in ‘mainstream’ schools varies hugely between schools/year groups....

I’ve not been impressed by fact so far my sons year 9 lockdown education has merely been work uploaded to complete then upload into teachers. No actual lessons....no timetable....finally (after parent feedback) they arranged a Zoom meeting of kids with form tutor & have said there may be an occassionsl future subject lesson via zoom (or similar platfirn) that may trial soon.....way too late imho....

I think it’s going to be very hard to adjust back to school in September for many & much time spent on ‘catch up’ for those unable for whatever reasons to fully participate/complete online work....

The lack of relationship building & practising & developing social skills used in day to day regular school life will also be massively set back I feel....too many are being enforced to become loners....so so sad (& possibly unnecessary as maybe things could have been better managed in all sorts of areas? At School & at government level) Pysical & mental health is not really being addressed as much as I think it could/should be.... 

Edited by Peanut68
Typos
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The provision is really pretty poor for many, but I don’t blame individual teachers for that. In some cases they’ve been told not to teach online. A huge amount of extra cash seems to have been summoned up for health care, we need to push for that for education. I haven’t written to my MP before but I feel that might have to change! Children have pretty much been forgotten in all of this

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Peony said:

The provision is really pretty poor for many, but I don’t blame individual teachers for that. In some cases they’ve been told not to teach online. A huge amount of extra cash seems to have been summoned up for health care, we need to push for that for education. I haven’t written to my MP before but I feel that might have to change! Children have pretty much been forgotten in all of this

Absolutely, Peony. I'm a teacher in a state secondary school and we have been instructed by the Head not to teach by live video for safeguarding reasons. As a teacher of Performing Arts, I would love to be able to teach my kids in a Zoom class because they would really benefit from this 'practical' work and the feedback I could provide, but alas, it has been vetoed. We can upload videos to teach, have email exchanges with individual students and we must provide individual feedback for each piece of work submitted. Work also has to be provided weekly for students without Internet access. I also telephone each of my tutees weekly for a chat. I'm also in telephone contact with parents who request this too.

 

It's not ideal and I am hugely disappointed for my year10 DD and year 11 DS who have both had their worlds turned upside down. However, as a teacher with my own kids at the same school, I do feel that the school has kept the safety of both the staff and students at the forefront of their planning. This is a very difficult time, and I have seen first hand the anxiety and fear of those children of keyworkers (and the keyworkers themselves) who do have to come to school for childcare every day because they have no other choice. 

 

Perhaps a mass writing to our MPs would have an impact, although I fear not. Adapting to distance teaching has not been easy, and has been made harder for everyone by the vast differences in technology resources in individual households. 

 

I certainly fear for my DD next year who will be auditioning for post 16 vocational schools as we have no idea of the future landscape of teaching and learning in either mainstream schools or vocational and specialist colleges. 

 

So, I guess I wanted to chip in with my two pennies to say, be kind to the teachers. We are doing our very best within the constraints of rules imposed by individual head teachers, the science and the government :)

Edited by ImgyA
Addressing op
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ImgyA said:

Absolutely, Peony. I'm a teacher in a state secondary school and we have been instructed by the Head not to teach by live video for safeguarding reasons. As a teacher of Performing Arts, I would love to be able to teach my kids in a Zoom class because they would really benefit from this 'practical' work and the feedback I could provide, but alas, it has been vetoed. We can upload videos to teach, have email exchanges with individual students and we must provide individual feedback for each piece of work submitted. Work also has to be provided weekly for students without Internet access. I also telephone each of my tutees weekly for a chat. I'm also in telephone contact with parents who request this too.

 

It's not ideal and I am hugely disappointed for my year10 DD and year 11 DS who have both had their worlds turned upside down. However, as a teacher with my own kids at the same school, I do feel that the school has kept the safety of both the staff and students at the forefront of their planning. This is a very difficult time, and I have seen first hand the anxiety and fear of those children of keyworkers (and the keyworkers themselves) who do have to come to school for childcare every day because they have no other choice. 

 

Perhaps a mass writing to our MPs would have an impact, although I fear not. Adapting to distance teaching has not been easy, and has been made harder for everyone by the vast differences in technology resources in individual households. 

 

I certainly fear for my DD next year who will be auditioning for post 16 vocational schools as we have no idea of the future landscape of teaching and learning in either mainstream schools or vocational and specialist colleges. 

 

So, I guess I wanted to chip in with my two pennies to say, be kind to the teachers. We are doing our very best within the constraints of rules imposed by individual head teachers, the science and the government :)

I don’t envy you being pulled from corner to corner and trying to take the lead from so many different people.........but my dd is at the hammond and all lessons are live And apparently recorded for that ‘safeguarding’ issue,   I am a scout leader and also run zoom events and we make sure that there is 2 adults always in the group and at least 4 Participates signed in !!  I am amazed that you are aloud to email a student without CC a parent or another teacher into the email?   Again as a mother of a Grate Britain athlete no coach is allowed to send a minor an email with out a parent being CC in and it’s the same in scouts!!!!   ........ no reflection on yourself as I know it’s not your fault and most teachers are wanting to get back to what you all do the best xxxx

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I can see, it's up to each school to make their own decisions regarding Safeguarding.  My school uses Teams via school email but students must be muted and cameras turn off - interaction is via the message facility.  My husband's school follows ImgyA's model.  

 

I must admit after DD (who is 20!) was discussing her bedroom redecoration with her teacher as her instrumental lessons are online, I can see the issues.  From a practical point  30+ students trying to talk at the same time wouldn't work.  Our online zoom church services show the limitations as 30 of us try to say the Lord's Prayer at the same time.  Chaos.  And then there are the times the internet drops out and valuable information is missed.

 

First experience of "bubbling" next week.  Interesting times.  

 

From a professional development point of view, I've undertaken more training (a lot of it free!) in the past 12 weeks than I have managed in the past 12 years.  Numbers attending are huge, and I can see this continuing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, meadowblythe said:

From what I can see, it's up to each school to make their own decisions regarding Safeguarding.  My school uses Teams via school email but students must be muted and cameras turn off - interaction is via the message facility.  My husband's school follows ImgyA's model.  

 

I must admit after DD (who is 20!) was discussing her bedroom redecoration with her teacher as her instrumental lessons are online, I can see the issues.  From a practical point  30+ students trying to talk at the same time wouldn't work.  Our online zoom church services show the limitations as 30 of us try to say the Lord's Prayer at the same time.  Chaos.  And then there are the times the internet drops out and valuable information is missed.

 

First experience of "bubbling" next week.  Interesting times.  

 

From a professional development point of view, I've undertaken more training (a lot of it free!) in the past 12 weeks than I have managed in the past 12 years.  Numbers attending are huge, and I can see this continuing.

 

Whereas at my daughter's school cameras MUST be turned on so that the teacher can see what the students are doing eg that they are not making illicit recordings on their mobile phone.  All students are muted and the teacher un-mutes individuals to ask questions etc.  But at her school it is easier to enforce discipline.  If a student breaks the rules they can be sanctioned much more easily than at a state school.

 

My son's school are not allowed to use zoom or any kind of online provision.  The larger class sizes, children with a variety of behavioural issues, parents who may or may not enforce discipline and those without internet make it very complicated.  But teachers are allowed to email students via their school email account though, not personal ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2020 at 12:35, meadowblythe said:

working online is as frustrating for the staff as well as students.  Marking takes 3x longer, and developing new teaching resources is time consuming.

 

Tell me about it! I'm considering teaching outside in September/October. I can't be sure about my safety if I teach indoors - I'm a shade over 60 & asthmatic - I'm at risk in a way my 20 year old students are not. But teaching online is really frustrating & difficult. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, WrapsnBows said:

I don’t envy you being pulled from corner to corner and trying to take the lead from so many different people.........but my dd is at the hammond and all lessons are live And apparently recorded for that ‘safeguarding’ issue,   I am a scout leader and also run zoom events and we make sure that there is 2 adults always in the group and at least 4 Participates signed in !!  I am amazed that you are aloud to email a student without CC a parent or another teacher into the email?   Again as a mother of a Grate Britain athlete no coach is allowed to send a minor an email with out a parent being CC in and it’s the same in scouts!!!!   ........ no reflection on yourself as I know it’s not your fault and most teachers are wanting to get back to what you all do the best xxxx

 

We use the school email system so it's not personal email addresses that we're using. All emails are tracked and recorded. It's no different to the individual phonecalls we're being asked to make. Unfortunately our school have made the decision that we can't live video link even with 2 members of staff present, (although obviously this would have its own staffing issues anyway!). It's a very difficult time for teachers who have trained and developed their own pedagogy over so many years and I can assure you that we are all desperate to get back to face to face teaching, when it is safe to do so. 

Edited by ImgyA
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 12:35, meadowblythe said:

Not only did they stay open (throughout all holidays as well) but working online is as frustrating for the staff as well as students.  Marking takes 3x longer, and developing new teaching resources is time consuming.

 

And they're not alone.  I was talking to a GP a few weeks ago who was telling me that adapting to doing consultations from home/online is pretty stressful, too.  Apparently when they have the patient in front of them in surgery they are trained to think and react very quickly, but when it's online or telephone it requires a completely different, slower, type of thinking to make sure they've covered everything.  Or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is so odd that when every dance teacher I know has managed to set up on line teaching and state schools can't. I thought my parents were being overly grateful in their thanks to me for doing it, now I understand why!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...