Live from Covent Garden, 13th June and following weeks

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I hadn’t realised the music for the new Wayne McGregor piece this Saturday is Richard Strauss‘ Morgen. Even more intriguing.

I wonder how many choreographers have been waiting for his works to come out of copyright.

Do you have to set up a Vimeo account to access the ROH pay per view or even free concert? I thought Vimeo was a service you had to pay for to access. That is pay to access vimeo itself and then you had access to their archive; how much access depended on how much you paid. Not sure if my interpretation of vimeo is correct but I'm saying I don't really want a vimeo account unless I have to. Of course if I have to have one in order to see Vadim dancing Ashton I'll get one but would rather not if I don't have to.

Guest oncnp

Yes - you have to sign up for Vimeo for the PPV (+ 14 days) as they are the platform broadcasting it but there is no cost. The free concerts can be seen through website.

Edited by oncnp

2 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Yes - you have to sign up for Vimeo as they are the platform broadcasting it but there is no cost

Is that the case to view the live stream? The link seems to take you through to the ROH website and it’s already there but (obviously) currently saying offline.

Possibly you might need a Vimeo account to view it on demand afterwards? I have one already but purchased two “tickets” for my sisters and I know they don’t have Vimeo accounts.

Actually, I’ve just re-read the confirmation email, which says: “You can watch Live from Covent Garden via the link in your confirmation email or by logging into your Vimeo account. Live from Covent Garden will also be available in your Vimeo Library for 14 days after the event.”

So it looks as though it’s either/or for the live performance, but you will need a Vimeo account to view it afterwards, if I’m reading this correctly.

17 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

I heard, a year or so ago, the chamber music version of this. I rather enjoyed it and it's probably a bit kinder to the singers! Could be interesting and the chance to hear proper live music is much to be welcomed. The streamed Wigmore Hall concerts are becoming a bit of a lifeline!

I fear I sounded a bit sniffy and I apologise. Most will be tired of comparisons with the war but I have been thinking of the 50s and 60s and the incredible musical renaissance that followed here and across Europe. The young Haitinck became musical director of the Concertegebouw and introduced us all to the symphonies of Bruckner; Bayreuth re-opened with a golden age of singers who would dominate Wagnerian singing for two decades; the ROH re-opened with Britten and De Valois laying the foundations for our world status in opera and ballet; the BBC with the likes of Beecham and Boult encouraged the establishment of orchestras in the this country where previously we had been the laughing stock of Europe - and Bruno Walter re-introduced us to Mahler, who had been a failure as a composer before the War but whose personal preoccupation with the meaning of life, loss and grief, expressed so profoundly through his music, resonated so strongly with our post-war generation coming to terms with the human cost of war, including of course Kenneth Macmillan.

For many of us it began with Walter’s performance with Ferrier of Das Lied von der Erde in Edinburgh and I am coming to think that this choice for the live concert at the ROH is or should be highly significant, that perhaps it holds out the promise for what may come when eventually we move beyond the present.

Sarah Connolly is of course long associated with Gluck’s Orfeo ed Euridice, again with themes of loss, mourning and acceptance that I understand was used by Ashton in his Dance of the Blessed Spirits so this is very much a linked-up approach.

All of which is to say I’m thinking that much thought must have gone into the choice of this programme, that from the past, we can draw hope for the future and I'm sorry if I'm only just catching up.

And yes, I was up most of the night streaming from the Wigmore Hall!!

Edited by David
  • Like 3

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, ninamargaret said:

I ordered my ticket via the ROH web site and the confirmation gave me an address stream.roh.org.uk. . I can access this on my tv - I use an Amazon Fire stick.  I have not had to sign up to Vimeo.

Actually you created a Vimeo account (which is free) ....  from the very fine print at the bottom of the initial e-mail

*Please note: These events will be streamed using a service powered by Vimeo. Therefore, you will need to make a Vimeo account to buy your tickets. For full Terms and Conditions, please click here.

ROH made it transparent, probably for ease of use. 'Wonder how much Vimeo is charging? 

1 hour ago, Balletfanp said:

Actually, I’ve just re-read the confirmation email, which says: “You can watch Live from Covent Garden via the link in your confirmation email or by logging into your Vimeo account. Live from Covent Garden will also be available in your Vimeo Library for 14 days after the event.”

So it looks as though it’s either/or for the live performance, but you will need a Vimeo account to view it afterwards, if I’m reading this correctly.

1 hour ago, ninamargaret said:

I ordered my ticket via the ROH web site and the confirmation gave me an address stream.roh.org.uk. . I can access this on my tv - I use an Amazon Fire stick.  I have not had to sign up to Vimeo.

The  link in the  confirmation email leads to the  relevant Royal Opera House Stream page for the event concerned, and this says "To access this event, you will need to create a new Vimeo account. Your existing Royal Opera House account information will not be valid here".

The email to Friends also said  "These events will be streamed using a service powered by Vimeo. Therefore, you will need to make a Vimeo account to buy your tickets". It looks to me as it that last part is not quite what they mean.... you have to buy  the tickets via Royal Opera House Stream (this can't be done via Vimeo, at least at present) but you will need a Vimeo account to access the event, either at the time, or in the next 14 days. 

8 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Actually you created a Vimeo account (which is free) ....  from the very fine print at the bottom of the initial e-mail

I don't think  that is correct. Having a Vimeo (Basic)  account requires you to register with your email address with your name and give a password. Hence the wording  "you will need to make a Vimeo account" and "you will need to create a new Vimeo account"....

I think I’m more confused now.... so - I gifted two tickets to my sisters and I know they don’t have Vimeo Accounts. Will they have to set up Vimeo accounts to view it? Or does the fact that it was purchased through my account make it OK for them?

Feel slightly surprised that the ROH didn't give a direct link to where you can register with Vimeo. Basic membership is free but there are varying levels of paid-for membership as well. I created an account there after buying the ticket - it needs a different password. You get an email from them to which you need to reply in order to create the account. 

I am wondering if you can watch the stream live from the link the ROH gives you in the confirmation email but to watch later you will need to go via the Vimeo site. 

Edited by Lynette H

11 minutes ago, Lynette H said:

I am wondering if you can watch the stream live from the link the ROH gives you in the confirmation email but to watch later you will need to go via the Vimeo site. 

That’s how I interpreted it but now I don’t know!

My sisters did say, when they went to redeem their tickets, that it asked for a username and password (which they didn’t have) but they were able to create an account, so maybe that’s it? Unfortunately, without seeing what they were seeing, it’s hard to say.

It also begs another question - I already had a Vimeo account before buying my ticket, so IF creating an account at the point of purchase was setting up a Vimeo account (by no means certain), presumably that now means I have two Vimeo accounts.....??

The ROH really need to make this a whole lot clearer or they could find themselves with a lot of people unable to get in on the night itself or confused about access. The fact that we all seem to have understood this in different ways highlights the problem.

I’m off for a lie down in a darkened room....

Edited by Balletfanp
  • Like 3

Guest oncnp
14 minutes ago, Lynette H said:

Feel slightly surprised that the ROH didn't give a direct link to where you can register with Vimeo. Basic membership is free but there are varying levels of paid-for membership as well. I created an account there after buying the ticket - it needs a different password. You get an email from them to which you need to reply in order to create the account. 

curiouser and curiouser…… If I'm reading the initial Friends e-mail correctly always questionable in itself) , the new account I had to established to buy the tickets (as current ROH account wouldn't work) was a Vimeo account so no additional Vimeo account needed. The gift link should would without the receiving party having to do anything but these are all great questions that need clarification. 

I think Vimeo is handling the billing based on the name on my credit card charge (not the usual www. roh.co.uk) and the fact the ROH has never failed to convert GBP to USD and I was charged $5.00 not $6.30 (based on yesterday's exchange rate).

Teething problems I'm sure will be worked out. And I'm just glad to be seeing it.

Edited by oncnp

13 minutes ago, Lynette H said:

I am wondering if you can watch the stream live from the link the ROH gives you in the confirmation email

I don't think so...as I posted earlier, it  seems  you need a Vimeo account "to access the event".

19 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

I think I’m more confused now.... so - I gifted two tickets to my sisters and I know they don’t have Vimeo Accounts. Will they have to set up Vimeo accounts to view it? Or does the fact that it was purchased through my account make it OK for them?

The gift process states "Recipient will receive a notification email and they can activate their gift any time"  ("any time" surely  must mean  "any time prior to the event and for 14 days after"). Presumably they will have to use the email link to set up their own Royal Opera House Stream login, as well as their own Vimeo account to access the event. It is  just that you paid for them to receive the initial  email link. 

Now I would normally regard myself as reasonably tech-savvy but I thought that was really hard work. I already had a Vimeo account (goodness where I got that from) but the ROH stream account wouldn't recognise it and goodness knows how many attempts I had. In the end by purchasing a ticket it logged me in. It might be me, but that really lacks clarity and a lot of people might just give up!

Thanks very much for all those who clarified my original query about a vimeo account. Judging by all the different replies everyone seems to have slightly different takes on it so I suppose I will just have to sign up for a vimeo account. Can I do that in advance without signing up to a paying version? I suppose there is a good reason why the ROH didn't stream it either on their own website (which they rather seem to despise these days) or YouTube but it would have been a lot simpler if they had. I say that and I'm keen to see the concerts (well the ballet at least) so how do they expect those more marginally interested to manage or take the trouble to register and then buy?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jmhopton said:

Thanks very much for all those who clarified my original query about a vimeo account. Judging by all the different replies everyone seems to have slightly different takes on it so I suppose I will just have to sign up for a vimeo account. Can I do that in advance without signing up to a paying version? I suppose there is a good reason why the ROH didn't stream it either on their own website (which they rather seem to despise these days) or YouTube but it would have been a lot simpler if they had. I say that and I'm keen to see the concerts (well the ballet at least) so how do they expect those more marginally interested to manage or take the trouble to register and then buy?

I have just contacted the ROH to ask that they make it as clear as possible on their webpages how to watch for those who don't have a Vimeo account. Lots of links to log in but not much info as to how to actually create an account!

You can create a free account with Vimeo here

https://vimeo.com/join

But I’m still no clearer about what the account was that my sisters had to create - I’m assuming that must get them in to the viewing, otherwise what was the point??

Neither if them are tech savvy and trying to explain what they needed to do yesterday just to redeem their tickets was..... just a bit stressful! I’m not relishing the thought of possibly having to explain that they also need to set up a Vimeo account too....!

3 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Sorry if I ruined your beauty sleep David!

Well worth it thank you - and of course Roderick Williams with Joseph Middleton today. A welcome break from all this palaver about vimeo!

• Like 1

I must be very compliant and unnoticing... I realised my ROH login wasn't working, so I just clicked to create an account (I didn't even know it was for vimeo!) and paid. Then the confirmation email has provided the link for watching it. So I personally found it very easy. Let's hope it works on the night!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJW said:

I have just contacted the ROH to ask that they make it as clear as possible on their webpages how to watch for those who don't have a Vimeo account. Lots of links to log in but not much info as to how to actually create an account!

Pleased to see the website has been updated with buttons to register/subscribe so hopefully that will make it easier.

1 hour ago, Jeannette said:

Here is the ROH’s YouTube Channel link for tomorrow’s special event. “Begins in 28 hours.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhnGXyvpClk

So it’s not just on Vimeo. I’m looking forward to enjoying this on my SmartTV big screen!

I’m not convinced about that - tomorrow night’s event is a free one. I suspect they are using Vimeo for the paid concerts as they can control access more easily and it possibly gives more protection from things like illegal downloads.

2 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

I’m not convinced about that - tomorrow night’s event is a free one. I suspect they are using Vimeo for the paid concerts as they can control access more easily and it possibly gives more protection from things like illegal downloads.

I was referring to the subject of this thread (13 June 2020 live event). No need for Vimeo for that. Easy peasey.

The feature on Today just after 7:40 is well worth catching and was very well conducted by Jim Naughtie. Wayne McGregor’s highlighting of the importance of touch, with Morgan playing, was very moving and I have very high expectations for tonight’s premiere.