Summer schools 2020 (will any run)?

Darcey15

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, DreamChaser said:

My DD was looking forward to 2 weeks at YBSS and I would gladly support any online alternative with them as she loves all YBSS events.  

RBS on the other hand never select her for SS so I would begrudge putting any 💰 in their well lined pockets 😂

Same here!!! I am hoping that Iain Mackay is still going to do the YBSS online classes he mentioned in the e.ail when he cancelled, as I would much rather give money to them than RBS!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

YORK DANCE SCHOLARS ONLINE SUMMER SCHOOL 2020!

We are so excited to announce that we are taking our summer school online this year.

🔹2 half weeks full of dance including Ballet, Jazz, Contemporary, Commercial and Musical Theatre
🔹All classes LIVE to your home via Zoom
🔹3 classes per day, for 3 days each week

For more information, please visit @YorkDanceScholars on Facebook or Instagram

• Like 1

RBS emails out re: online summer school options.... more info early July. Interesting that no mention about costs of the various options yet! Hmmm....But seems pretty much open to all....some smaller groups with visuals & corrections possible (first cone first serve....bet it’ll be like trying to buy top concert tickets with the whole world of ballet parents all logging on at same time minute they are open to book 🤣) but most sessions will be limitless numbers of attendees so no visuals for corrections etc of students....

Bet this will become an annual money spinner event in addition to traditional audition entry intensives!! 
Have heard that (individual?) current RBS pupil/s getting ‘invited to join masterclasses for ‘free’ which goes against what the webpage says - no concessions/funding - but who knows what’s genuine feedback? 
I feel sad for those who had gained places at intensives & feel that rather than making this an open to all money maker they should have honoured the success of those pupils & provided aN exclusive course just for them (my DC wouldn’t be amongst them btw, just feel those who succeeded should be rewarded!) 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

RBS emails out re: online summer school options.... more info early July. Interesting that no mention about costs of the various options yet! Hmmm....But seems pretty much open to all....some smaller groups with visuals & corrections possible (first cone first serve....bet it’ll be like trying to buy top concert tickets with the whole world of ballet parents all logging on at same time minute they are open to book 🤣) but most sessions will be limitless numbers of attendees so no visuals for corrections etc of students....

Bet this will become an annual money spinner event in addition to traditional audition entry intensives!! 
Have heard that (individual?) current RBS pupil/s getting ‘invited to join masterclasses for ‘free’ which goes against what the webpage says - no concessions/funding - but who knows what’s genuine feedback? 
I feel sad for those who had gained places at intensives & feel that rather than making this an open to all money maker they should have honoured the success of those pupils & provided aN exclusive course just for them (my DC wouldn’t be amongst them btw, just feel those who succeeded should be rewarded!) 

No, as a mother of a current WL child, I've heard nothing of being invited to attend masterclasses for free. We're in the scrum with everyone else. And my dd also had a place on the course, too. I also feel compelled to say, that whilst the feeling is that everything the dance schools do is a money-spinner to line already comfortable pockets, it is so necessary in our cash strapped world of the arts in this country. They all struggle to keep ahead of the required funding to exist and simply have to come up with ways of making money. I say this as someone also in the arts, albeit in a different sector but with understanding of the constant struggle of keeping afloat in a country that offers so little. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Those who have places on the intensives have received a letter saying they will be invited to the masterclasses.

Everyone who had a place still has to apply  again next year except those accepted for Hong Kong.  This is in contrast to ENB who are honouring places as I believe are YBS.  Such a pity for those who had a place for the first time.

• Like 2

I really think that any successful RBS Intensive candidate (mine were not) should be automatically given first refusal on future comparable course....even if RBS then felt compelled to run extra weeks to ensure they see the best talent of the day too....there will always be enough talented applicants to fill courses more than twice over I’m quite sure!

Edited by Peanut68
Typo
  • Like 5

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 18:20, Peanut68 said:

My DS (10) had a place at both the Easter and Summer intensives. Now according to the website the minimum level is grade 5, as he is still in grade 3, he does not even have the option to join. This is very frustrating. The masterclass was mentioned in an email for children who had a place in the Summer course but haven't heard anything more specific.  

• Like 1

On 30/06/2020 at 12:24, Lara Eschler said:

My DS (10) had a place at both the Easter and Summer intensives. Now according to the website the minimum level is grade 5, as he is still in grade 3, he does not even have the option to join. This is very frustrating. The masterclass was mentioned in an email for children who had a place in the Summer course but haven't heard anything more specific.  

That’s horrible. Same regarding grade. My DS was waitlisted so we thought there might be some hope but now none. (He’s also G3) :(  

Have you seen today’s update? London classes likely moving to Sunday for the autumn term. Trains don’t run early enough for a Sunday lesson for us if it’s the same timing so we may have to decline. While I understand completely and appreciate their efforts I’m not sure I can justify those fees for Zoom classes either (my DS really dislikes them so it’ll become a battle - not what we want when ballet is supposed to be enjoyable). Also, both my DS and DD attend another ballet associates class on a Sunday in Twickenham - we could drop it for DS but it really wouldn’t be fair to stop DD from going to hers because of this change.
I’m feeling truly gutted about it all. :( 

4 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Hi @BalletBoyMumma

my ds also does Tring CBA and Kickstart on Sundays. :(

What a shame! My ds was first year JA in year 5, we were so looking forward to an amazing year including intensives etc. Now it looks like next year will be disrupted as well.

😢 It really does. 

Lots of children will have clashes, I think. I hope further updates will be more positive for us all. 

My DD was due to audition for yr5 RB JAs back in May but given she’s had no classes for the last three months her technique has gone to pot so I think the very tiny chance of her being accepted (we were going in with have fun but no expectations, just as we did with DS) will be down to none by the time auditions finally happen. ☹️ So her staying at her other associates class is a must.

Training at home has been so difficult (I have no dance background so am of no help to them) and losing the social side of training has really knocked their motivation. 

2 hours ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

That’s horrible. Same regarding grade. My DS was waitlisted so we thought there might be some hope but now none. (He’s also G3) :( 

Have you seen today’s update? London classes likely moving to Sunday for the autumn term. Trains don’t run early enough for a Sunday lesson for us if it’s the same timing so we may have to decline. While I understand completely and appreciate their efforts I’m not sure I can justify those fees for Zoom classes either (my DS really dislikes them so it’ll become a battle - not what we want when ballet is supposed to be enjoyable). Also, both my DS and DD attend another ballet associates class on a Sunday in Twickenham - we could drop it for DS but it really wouldn’t be fair to stop DD from going to hers because of this change.
I’m feeling truly gutted about it all. :(

How many 10 year olds are grade 5?! My 9 yo DD is WAY behind the curve if this is the norm 😂

What a horrible choice to have to make. 

I think the grade was mentioned more as a guide with caveat to take advice from current teachers.... if a current regular teacher has put a 9 or 10 year old up to audition for RBS associates & suggested they apply for Spring or Summer Intensives my gig says they already know that pupil is of good enough standard/motivation/commitment & ability to learn amongst others who may be already in higher grades. Remember RBS has its own ‘system of training’ & their full time pupils generally do not - within school - work towards of take any of the standard dance awarding bodies Exams anyhow. So to any who had a place at an RBS intensive, they selected the individual based on the individuals qualities they saw in photos (& perhaps also from what they see/saw in associate classes/auditions) so that I’d say you’d every reason to still consider it. Take any advice from main teacher coupled with your own knowledge of your child & how they might cope with more challenging/new work etc....& of course there will be a decision to be made as to wether it’s a good financial investment! Anyone know yet of the proposed costs of any of the formats of lessons???

50 minutes ago, BellaF said:

How many 10 year olds are grade 5?! My 9 yo DD is WAY behind the curve if this is the norm 😂

What a horrible choice to have to make. 

I had thought a similar thing @BellaF 😂 (I always think that anyway but this confirmed it 😆

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Betty’s mum said:

Wonder if you can still access the talks if you have not been able to book on a Masterclass. At least that would be something.

this is what i was wondering (as i am already booked on a summer school). i guess there is always the next booking session next week? 

DS had a place on YBS summer school this year. He's done a few masterclasses with them and we'd hoped there would be something separate to the RBS offering. Thankfully he's now doing Central's online summer school and a set of weekly classes with Sander Blommaert so all is not lost! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BalletBear said:

I must of dreamt it😂 

I had it in my head that you booked for week 1 today and then week 2 next week and so on... 

Sorry! xx

If I recall correctly the weekly booking was for the Studio Masterclass

I;d check on the page, but .. 🙂

On 26/06/2020 at 18:20, Peanut68 said:

My dd had a place at RBS for the cancelled intensives and we are queuing with everyone. All in the same boat! 😁