Sign in to follow this  
olver3501

How many degrees oversplit for ballet?

On 30/05/2020 at 16:01, Viv said:

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a professional ballet dancer today who can't do an oversplit on at least one leg... 

I agree. The thing is though, a very high percentage of professionals are naturally more hypermobile than would be considered normal, so have a facility which the vast majority of people just aren't born with.

• Like 1

On 30/05/2020 at 16:01, Viv said:

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a professional ballet dancer today who can't do an oversplit on at least one leg... 

Viv, yes, your post makes sense - but I think the oversplit is a consequence (a by-product) of the training rather than a goal in itself. I suppose that was the point I was trying to make.

What an interesting discussion!

• Like 2

Personally, I'd be very happy never to see oversplits .... for me, they fall into the same category as eg being able to pop your eyeballs out of their sockets! When I watch someone dancing, I really don't want to be grossed out by contortionist tricks ....

https://www.irishnews.com/magazine/daily/2017/06/28/news/a-woman-who-can-pop-her-eyes-out-of-her-head-has-answered-the-internet-s-questions-1070147/

• Like 2

I ‘liked’ your post above Glidsade as totally agree re: oversolits snslogy....but I actually was grossed out by it too once I clicked the link 😱😂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I ‘liked’ your post above Glidsade as totally agree re: oversolits snslogy....but I actually was grossed out by it too once I clicked the link 😱😂

Sorry!!! 😂😂😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

Sorry for my typo....should read analogy!! 

Funny thing is when I read your post I read "analogy" - I didn't even notice the typo!

4 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Sorry for my typo....should read analogy!! 

I didn't notice that .... or the "oversolits" typo either!!! 😉

• Like 2

Re the "chuckers' it's actually spelt "chookas" and indeed comes from the days when success meant a chicken dinner.

• Like 3