Practicalities of re-opening in late Spring 2021 (previously Autumn 2020) - or thereafter?

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If social distancing is to remain on public transport with the resulting drop in capacity, it's going to make the time/s and length/s of any performances of rather theoretical relevance to most people since it won't be possible to get to them anyway. At the moment the advice is to only use public transport if essential; that advice would have to change to make theatre-going possible even if/when it re-starts.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I didn't notice much in the way of social distancing.  It will be interesting to see if there is a spike in dancers back at work contracting the virus...

Guess time will tell.  For their sake I so wish them well.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, capybara said:

Each state in Germany seems to be playing things differently.

They start doing it differently because each head of each state wants to be faster/more careful/different, but after two weeks they all do the same.

Seriously: It depends very much on the geographic position, the states in the south had much more Corona cases because people were skiing in Italy and Austria, so politicians in Bavaria tend to be more careful. There were fewer cases in the north, it also depends from town to town. I look to Austria, they are normally one or two weeks ahead of Germany with reopening. They will allow smaller cultural events soon, but on the other hand Bregenz Festival was cancelled today.

It seems to me that the key to any sort of meaningful resumption of performances is that social distancing is to be maintained 'where possible'. It's clearly not possible for dancers to keep their distance from each other to either rehearse or perform. There's a limit to how complete social distancing can be if a group of people get together to watch a performance any distance from their homes. There's a limit to how far social distancing can happen on public transport at least some of the time. If 100% social distancing is to be required at all times (which isn't in fact how it has generally been expressed, hence the fact that the police cannot enforce it) we may as well give up on ballet resuming for the foreseeable future (with all the implications that brings). So I hope that decisions can be taken that are both realistic and responsible. And, of course, both dancers and audiences should only do what they personally find acceptable.

• Like 3

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 11:02, oncnp said:

Of the on-line streams - "“People have been dressing up for their night in, making cocktails in the intervals,” Beard says.

Maybe he reads the Forum?

If so, and for the sake of a more complete picture, he should know that I watched Dust recently in my dressing gown. :D

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, capybara said:

How awful.  Depressing for artist and audience, sterile and for me an experience that I will never have.  😢😢

• Like 2

Maybe there are will be ways forward that  will allow closer spacing .....e.g. with audiences having to wear masks, and performers getting regularly tested, as I believe German footballers are doing. Hopefully the new task force including Tamara Rojo will have some creative ideas.

• Like 7

Sorry if this is somewhere else but with elite sport/football training now being allowed for English teams, with no physical distancing restrictions during training, does that mean that dancers may soon be able to train/rehearse together?

23 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Sorry if this is somewhere else but with elite sport/football training now being allowed for English teams, with no physical distancing restrictions during training, does that mean that dancers may soon be able to train/rehearse together?

That would seem logical...but that doesn't necessarily mean that that they will be allowed! 

English Premier League and Championship footballers can do non-contact training in groups of no more than 5 if they have tested negative in the tests that respective organising body have paid for and all the protocols that the organising body have put in place are adhered to. League One and Two players can only train individually with social distancing as there is currently no testing programme for them. 

• Like 1

I saw that on IG earlier - quite disturbing and frankly unrealistic - I can't see many (if any) theatres etc being able to break even doing something like that. It would probably be cheaper for them not to open to the public at all. I'm sure also it would be a pretty ghastly experience for the audience!

25 minutes ago, MJW said:

I saw that on IG earlier - quite disturbing and frankly unrealistic - I can't see many (if any) theatres etc being able to break even doing something like that. It would probably be cheaper for them not to open to the public at all. I'm sure also it would be a pretty ghastly experience for the audience!

Agree on the financial consequences being unrealistic.

However there are some advantages for the audience ... more legroom and better sightlines.  No large head in front to dodge.  Shorter queues for the loos!

My problem is I couldn’t afford to pay more for the privilege though.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MJW said:

I saw that on IG earlier - quite disturbing and frankly unrealistic - I can't see many (if any) theatres etc being able to break even doing something like that. It would probably be cheaper for them not to open to the public at all.

I can think of a few programmes I've seen with this level of take-up! Could be time for companies to put on their more esoteric repertoire?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lynette H said:

The Old Vic is to stream a performance for a limited number of paying customers. Interesting to see if anyone else takes this approach. 

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/may/27/claire-foy-matt-smith-live-stream-lungs-in-bid-to-save-old-vic-coronavirus-pandemic

I don't quite understand the rationale for it being for a limited number of paying customers - why not as many as wish to pay?

• Like 7

14 hours ago, bridiem said:

I don't quite understand the rationale for it being for a limited number of paying customers - why not as many as wish to pay?

Yes, I found that puzzling too. Laura Marling is doing the same thing for a gig from the Union Chapel. Perhaps they are trying to make it feel special, with that self satisfaction you get when nabbing a ticket for a show that gets sold out, in a limited sized venue...

Just now, zxDaveM said:

Yes, I found that puzzling too. Laura Marling is doing the same thing for a gig from the Union Chapel. Perhaps they are trying to make it feel special, with that self satisfaction you get when nabbing a ticket for a show that gets sold out, in a limited sized venue...

Yes, I wondered if it might be something like that; but I would have thought that the right sort of marketing could entice more people/more money (and be more democratic, even if payment is involved).

3 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Yes, I wondered if it might be something like that; but I would have thought that the right sort of marketing could entice more people/more money (and be more democratic, even if payment is involved).

Yes, that would have been my reasoning too! Unless they intend repeat shows, or something like that? Where if everyone saw the first, they might not get much of a crowd for later shows. Doesn’t seem logical though, not to max out the first then perhaps limit later ones.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Perhaps they are trying to make it feel special, with that self satisfaction you get when nabbing a ticket for a show that gets sold out, in a limited sized venue...

That still doesn’t make sense to me since surely that ‘special’ self satisfaction comes from the combination of managing to get a ticket for someone you particularly want to see coupled with the intimacy of being up close in a small and carefully chosen venue