Practicalities of re-opening in late Spring 2021 (previously Autumn 2020) - or thereafter?

9 hours ago, Rob S said:

Swan Lake was just my wishfull thinking, at best we'll be back to where we were in October with bubbled mixed bills, as you say

If it’s going to be a “big one,” I’ll guess Sleeping Beauty, for the historical significance...end of WWII...end of another major crisis...Lilac Fairy triumphs over Evil...still the Royal Ballet’s calling card to the world.

Before that happens, I’m betting on shorter, smaller-scaled ballets. 

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 3

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Practicalities of re-opening in late Spring 2021 (previously Autumn 2020) - or thereafter?
  • Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, capybara said:

I don't want to be a 'spoil sport' but I guess that ballet companies will be constrained by the social distancing regulations for some time (certainly until the 21st June) in terms of the audience as well as the dancers.

That might rule out big productions like Swan Lake.

Hopefully we will hear something soon.

Not only will they be constrained by the social distancing, but they will have had almost no stage time for 15 months.  It will take them a while to build up the strength and stamina to start performing the big ballets once again.  So unless they start the season early, or extend this one, I don't think we will see anything 'major' until October.  Just so sad for those poor dancers..not only the RB, but everywhere that they have had to halt their already-short careers.  

• Like 10

16 hours ago, jmhopton said:

From a selfish point of view I might prefer something else as I don't think I will be travelling 200 miles to London and staying overnight before autumn at the earliest.

I feel similarly. I doubt I'll be vaccinated by June so I'd rather they started with something I'm not desparate to see!

• Like 4

I'd been thinking The Dante Project might be a good place to start (and, more importantly, had wondered whether Kevin O'Hare had been thinking along the same lines), but then since it's new I have no idea what sort of demands it would actually place on the dancers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I feel similarly. I doubt I'll be vaccinated by June so I'd rather they started with something I'm not desparate to see!

Agree. While I will be vaccinated for work soon I doubt I'll be allowed into the country without quarantine before October, if then.  I hope the ROH continues some type of streaming. 

Edited by oncnp

4 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Will they be able to extend performances into the Summer...? I would imagine the dancers would prefer to be performing as much as possible after this long enforced break, and certainly we devotees will wish to see them ...

They would need a big break sometime along the way, though.  Wouldn't want to be going straight through to a potential Nutcracker season at Christmas without a break.  Venue availability would also be a major consideration (I think Sadler's Wells has Singin' in the Rain pencilled in for this summer, doesn't it?)  I suspect the Royal Ballet would be acting as filler around the Royal Opera as per usual, although given the latter's usual lack of scheduling/booking flexibility I'm not sure what they would be able to do ...

But at least, hopefully, yesterday's announcement will give administrations something relatively fixed to go on.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shade said:

I would be overjoyed to see a live performance but it seems that it may be a long wait still.
Vaccination will not be complete until end of July for adults but that wouldn’t stop me.

I’m not sure vaccination will even be “complete” by July, will it? I thought “every adult will be offered a vaccination by the end of July” - i.e. offered an appointment for the *first dose* of the two dose vaccine...

If that’s the case then I’d think the end of October would be a more realistic date for everyone who wants the vaccine to have had both doses. 🙁

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

I hope that theatres will continue to stream especially while they may have limited audiences.  I certainly do not want to sit in a theatre any time soon. Maybe 2022 but it remains to be seen how the public behave.

I'll be back in a theatre as soon as we are allowed!  It felt a very safe environment when I was able to go to Leeds Playhouse and Birmingham Rep last October.

I do think that streamings will continue for some time to come to cover all the bases.

• Like 6

As I read Mr Beard's comments in the Telegraph (from today's links, paywall) there will be ballet (and opera) performances at the ROH beginning in May "..….ideally in front of live audiences, but if push comes to shove, they could be streamed instead.” , ramping up from smaller to larger with full productions in the Autumn. 

'Sounds very much like either/or. I wonder if he would consider audience and streaming? 

Edited by oncnp

There was a long interview on what I assume was the BBC News channel last night - around 1 am - with the promoter Harvey Goldsmith about bringing back theatre, concerts and so on.  I assume it may be found on iPlayer for 24 hours.

5 minutes ago, alison said:

There was a long interview on what I assume was the BBC News channel last night - around 1 am - with the promoter Harvey Goldsmith about bringing back theatre, concerts and so on.  I assume it may be found on iPlayer for 24 hours.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000sp2k/hardtalk-harvey-goldsmith-music-producer-and-promoter

Available for 11 months

Am so lucky as will be fully vaccinated and it all kicked in properly by May 17th ( also the date adult ballet can resume in studios) 

so now can’t wait to go to something ..anything ..I’d even give something a try would not be so keen on normally ...just to be back in ROH again! 
I was rather hoping the Royal Ballet School performance might go ahead in July as usual. It might be nice to include some of those who missed out last year with a couple of performances too. 

• Like 3

On 22/02/2021 at 17:07, Rob S said:

I wonder what Mr O'Hare will open with...Swan Lake could fill the time up until their summer break 🙂

This month's Dancing Times has an article about Ashton's Symphonic Variations which is 75 years old April 24.  Might make part of a mixed bill.   Honoring Ashton and doesn't need many people. 

Edited by oncnp

50 minutes ago, oncnp said:

This month's Dancing Times has an article about Ashton's Symphonic Variations which is 75 years old April 24.  Might make part of a mixed bill.   Honoring Ashton and doesn't need many people. 

I would make the trip up for this alone.

• Like 7

Guest oncnp

More help coming from the government?

The Telegraph is reporting that tomorrow's budget will include an additional £300 million  for the Cultural Recovery Fund and "museums and cultural bodies will receive £90 million to support them until at least May 17 - or Step 3"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/theatre/what-to-see/arts-sector-receive-408-million-additional-funding-tomorrows/  (paywall or very limited access with registration)

Edited by oncnp