Practicalities of re-opening in late Spring 2021 (previously Autumn 2020) - or thereafter?

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

We might find out when the annual report is published. Until then it's possible both parties are bound by a confidentiality agreement. (If I were Christie's and had agreed a knock-down seller's commission I wouldn't want it advertised.)

They haven't even filed last year's books yet ("accounts made up to 31 August 2019" per Companies House) so that might be a long wait. 

Edited by oncnp

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

They haven't even filed last year's books yet ("accounts made up to 31 August 2019" per Companies House) so that might be a long wait. 

Unless things have changed accounts for FY ending 31 March 2020 don't have to be filed with the charity commission until the end of January 2021.  I don't know about Companies House).

14 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Unless things have changed accounts for FY ending 31 March 2020 don't have to be filed with the charity commission until the end of January 2021.  I don't know about Companies House).

According to the Charities Commission website the most current ROH data is "Data for financial year ending 27 August 2018 ". So they appear to be in arrears there as well.. (Sorry I can't add the link - its massive)

The only link is under company number and it takes you to Companies House so it looks like that's where the are getting their information. 

Edited by oncnp

Last of the grants from Cultural Recovery Fund (Grants £ !M - £ 3M)

English National Ballet          £3,000,000

Rambert                                 £1,283,835

Sadler's Wells                        £2,975,000

Birmingham Hippodrome Theatre Trust     £3,000,000 

Full list https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/publication/culture-recovery-fund-data

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased to see that the Lyric Hammersmith has announced two shows for early next year - of course, it's a lot easier to do one-/two-handers in the case of plays than it is for dance.

This page on the Theatre Tokens website gives some information about what local theatres, including ones which host dance, have been/are doing, although I'm not sure how much of it is up-to-date: much seems to have been written for the first lockdown:

http://www.TheatreTokens.com/coronavirus-information

It also suggests that buying theatre tokens might be a good way of supporting the sector, although it doesn't indicate exactly why.

In the US, now that there’s serious talk about a vaccine coming AND of a possible national database of vaccine recipients and of test results....

TicketMaster is exploring having each ticket purchaser include proof of having taken the vaccine (or a COVID-negative test) as part of the ticket-ordering procedure. Once at the theatre, ushers would verify status of each attendee as part of the ticket-scanning process.

Arguments both ways - loss of privacy and govt control versus the ability to open theatres and attend ballets, etc. 

https://nypost.com/2020/11/11/ticketmaster-to-require-negative-covid-19-test-vaccination/

Edited by Jeannette

7 hours ago, oncnp said:

Just to complete the ROH Hockney story....bought by the ROH chairman and going back up on whatever ROH wall it was on before finding a new home at the National Portrait Gallery when it reopens.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8968655/Mystery-buyer-paid-13m-David-Hockney-masterpiece.html

There was a similar article in today’s Telegraph - good on him I thought

7 hours ago, oncnp said:

Just to complete the ROH Hockney story....bought by the ROH chairman and going back up on whatever ROH wall it was on before finding a new home at the National Portrait Gallery when it reopens.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8968655/Mystery-buyer-paid-13m-David-Hockney-masterpiece.html

I think it's only going to the NPG for its reopening exhibition then returning to the ROH.

Am very pleased Ross has done this (I'd told my better third before the auction that's what I'd do, if I had a spare £11 million or so lying around).

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

An early "present" for the ROH....good news with Tier 3 on the horizon for London (possibly)

Guardian is reporting the ROH has received a £21.7m loan to support operations until March 2021. In total  >£165m was granted including the National Theatre receiving £19.7m, the Royal Shakespeare Company £19.4m, the Royal Albert Hall £20.7m, the Southbank Centre £10.9m and English National Opera £8.5m.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/11/165m-in-emergency-loans-given-to-hard-hit-uk-arts-organisations

Terms include 

" pay restraint for at least 18 months from the date of the Repayable Finance Agreement, where legally possible for them to do so, including imposing a pay freeze for all senior staff and 10% pay reductions to pre-Covid-19 pay for those contracted to receive above £150,000 per year" as well as commitments to increase its organisational diversity and the diversity of its audiences, visitors and/or participants, progress towards net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 and to increase educational/outreach work

ENB also received a £3,000,000 capital project grants

A second round of funding, including £300 million of grants and £100 million of loans was also announced. Details to follow. 

Edited by oncnp

• 1 month later...

Not quite a performance, as such, but I was suffering insomnia last night.  I got up about 4.15am, switched on the tv, and saw Tamara Rojo being interviewed on Hard Talk on the BBC.  I haven't checked, but I assume it was going out live, although quite why it was being done at that time of the morning I don't know. 

I missed that start, but amongst other things, Rojo was saying that ENB has until April before it goes bankrupt.   The situation is very grim indeed. 

42 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Not quite a performance, as such, but I was suffering insomnia last night.  I got up about 4.15am, switched on the tv, and saw Tamara Rojo being interviewed on Hard Talk on the BBC.  I haven't checked, but I assume it was going out live, although quite why it was being done at that time of the morning I don't know. 

I missed that start, but amongst other things, Rojo was saying that ENB has until April before it goes bankrupt.   The situation is very grim indeed. 

I imagine they're not the only ones - the £3M  grant they received in October was only supposed to keep them (and other recipients receiving grants/loans ) solvent until March.  There is another round of funding and checking the Arts Council page applications for grants are due NLT 12pm (midday), Tuesday 26 January 2021.  Unfortunately,  since the ENB received the full £3M the first round it looks as if they have to go to repayable finance if they want more money from the government. 

The second round of repayable finance initial applications (including ROH presumably) were due 7 January (application only). If successful hoards of paperwork will be required and further assessment done during February. 

Edited by oncnp

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000r91g/hardtalk-tamara-rojo-artistic-director-english-national-ballet

24 minutes of Tamara Rojo talking to BBC's Hardtalk about Covid's effect on the arts.

I will be donating all likes this post gets to my mum who happened to see this live at 0030hrs this morning when she was making her Waitrose order...I was asleep 🙂

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 8

30 minutes ago, alison said:

I think the above depressing news is probably better off here than getting lost in the years-long thread on dance on terrestrial TV :(.

Not entirely depressing...at least the UK government is doing something. Not as much as some European countries but 100% more than the US government is doing, as @Ian Macmillan excellent article about opera singers  highlighted. 

Edited by oncnp

Not exactly reopening as such, but this Financial Times article (Is multi-view streaming the future for the performing arts?) from yesterday's Links suggests an interesting alternative:

https://www.ft.com/content/ff5d568c-0338-46ec-bd56-43ac2590deb0

Apparently the costs don't have to be prohibitive, either.  It would certainly do away with many of the complaints about live screenings that the director isn't showing what the viewer wants to see at any given point!

• 1 month later...

The Stage is reporting theatres may reopen on May 17 subject to capacity limits of 50% or 1,000, whichever is lower, and outdoor performances limited at 50% or 4,000 people.

Further relaxation may occur on June 17th, perhaps with LFT. 

Light at end of the tunnel finally? 

Edited by oncnp
typo

Boris has been insistent that we now watch 'data not dates,' so it may be worth adding that the timetable is expressed as "No earlier than 17 May" - which may mean that, if vaccine progress etc is not as hoped, then a later start would apply.  Summary here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Boris has been insistent that we now watch 'data not dates,' so it may be worth adding that the timetable is expressed as "No earlier than 17 May" - which may mean that, if vaccine progress etc is not as hoped, then a later start would apply.  Summary here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

exactly...I meant "may" as "might" not "can" but didn't make that clear.  Even the possibility is encouraging 🤞

Edited by oncnp

Swan Lake would be a great opener for the public, especially with the debuts I never got to see. From a selfish point of view I might prefer something else as I don't think I will be travelling 200 miles to London and staying overnight before autumn at the earliest. Also, Kevin may prefer to start with a mixed bill or a series of concerts that would be cheaper to stage, given the theatre will be less than half full. Also they wouldn't need massed corps de ballet rehearsals which may still be tricky. I think Swan Lake will return in autumn, hopefully with something cheerful like Fille or Coppelia. 

• Like 6

I don't want to be a 'spoil sport' but I guess that ballet companies will be constrained by the social distancing regulations for some time (certainly until the 21st June) in terms of the audience as well as the dancers.

That might rule out big productions like Swan Lake.

Hopefully we will hear something soon.

• Like 3