Practicalities of re-opening in late Spring 2021 (previously Autumn 2020) - or thereafter?

On 11/09/2020 at 10:53, Lizbie1 said:

As it happens, I bought a couple of cheap singleton seats this morning. The choice seemed pretty good, even after a week of Friends booking.

What you can't see in the picture above is the bench seats at the back of the Grand Circle, which go for £10 (plus £1.75 booking fee for online) and are normally only put on sale on the day of the performance. There appear to be two of these available for each date, and they are currently available online in advance. So from my point of view - speaking as one who would normally wait for these day tickets - it's actually an improvement.

Edited to add: if you're at all interested, please have a look. I think it's a very well put together plan and season that the Theatre Royal has come up with and there's plenty of choice of seats.

Well - I'm just back from Pinter's Betrayal at the Theatre Royal and how wonderful it was to be back in a live audience. They've done an excellent job of making everyone feel safe and welcome: everything worked like clockwork and I had no concerns about the enterprise. Temperatures were taken on entering and hand sanitisers were at the ready, and we were given clear instructions about entering the theatre and getting to seats. Everyone wore a mask throughout.

(As an aside - the theatre mentioned that the safety consultants they've engaged are also being used by the ROH "and many West End theatres".)

Obviously these things are a personal choice, but if you're in a low risk group, please consider getting back into the theatres. They've worked so hard to be able to put on a show and you can tell how pleased they are to have us back. I'd hate for these green shoots to wither from a simple lack of interest rather than something more serious.

• Like 9

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Well - I'm just back from Pinter's Betrayal at the Theatre Royal and how wonderful it was to be back in a live audience. They've done an excellent job of making everyone feel safe and welcome: everything worked like clockwork and I had no concerns about the enterprise. Temperatures were taken on entering and hand sanitisers were at the ready, and we were given clear instructions about entering the theatre and getting to seats. Everyone wore a mask throughout.

(As an aside - the theatre mentioned that the safety consultants they've engaged are also being used by the ROH "and many West End theatres".)

Obviously these things are a personal choice, but if you're in a low risk group, please consider getting back into the theatres. They've worked so hard to be able to put on a show and you can tell how pleased they are to have us back. I'd hate for these green shoots to wither from a simple lack of interest rather than something more serious.

How full was the house, Lizbie1?  Full I hope - given the reduced capacity.  

21 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

How full was the house, Lizbie1?  Full I hope - given the reduced capacity.  

Difficult to judge a percentage, and I was at the back of the Dress Circle so couldn't get a clear picture, but the Stalls looked pretty "full" and my level fairly so. I couldn't see the Royal Circle below, but the Grand Circle (the highest up) was closed, and looking at tonight's seat map I think they've done so again.

My guess (using the usual patterns there to guess at the Royal Circle) is somewhere between 60 and 70 percent occupancy. Press Night isn't till next week, however - possibly because they wanted to have a good run at testing the new measures first.

• Like 1

Lizbie1, nice to hear. I'm at the Theatre Royal tomorrow.

• Like 1

That’s good to hear, I’m going this evening 🙂

• Like 2

In an article in the Stage the onus is being put on theatres to ensure that in higher risk areas people in groups are not from more than one household and that people may have to be moved around if they have already bought tickets:

https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/solt-and-uk-theatre-issue-guidance-for-venues-in-tiers-2-and-3-

Unfortunately there were many stories going around on Social Media about how in other countries their governments were supporting the Arts but that in UK the Governement hadn't given anything.  This was even after announcements of support had been made.  Therefore I think it only a fair attempt to correct the disinformation that had been circulated if recipients are asked to publicise the help they have been given.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Unfortunately there were many stories going around on Social Media about how in other countries their governments were supporting the Arts but that in UK the Governement hadn't given anything.  This was even after announcements of support had been made.  Therefore I think it only a fair attempt to correct the disinformation that had been circulated if recipients are asked to publicise the help they have been given.

Not much of a social media person but most of the discontent I saw in the news concerned not the promise of funding (announcement) but delayed delivery and the thousands of jobs ( especially freelance for whom there is little to no support apparently) lost in the interval. Admittedly not all these jobs would/could/or even should be saved.  The Stage had an interesting piece early on about the bloated management structure at some major arts organizations & how the pandemic would be an opportunity to do some much needed pruning. 

From me though, kudos to the UK government for doing something, 100% more than my government (US) is doing for the arts as far as I can see.  

Edited by oncnp

It's absolutely appropriate for those organisations thus funded to credit government support for doing so, in the same way that they would credit Arts Council funding if they have it.  Obligatorily going that extra mile and notifying your local press might be a step too far, though.  And of course it still doesn't solve the problem of all those freelances who haven't been given any support throughout the pandemic.

Talking of which ...

19 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

In an article in the Stage the onus is being put on theatres to ensure that in higher risk areas people in groups are not from more than one household and that people may have to be moved around if they have already bought tickets:

https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/solt-and-uk-theatre-issue-guidance-for-venues-in-tiers-2-and-3-

So sad I have had to cancel a friend for ENB at Sadler's Wells - but on the plus side, my daughter gets to go to another evening of ballet. At least I have one child who is willing to come with me!

Does anyone know what personal details you have to give the ROH to pass on to the NHS if you don't have a mobile phone?

I had an E-mail from SW yesterday advising me that since London is now in Tier 2, anyone who bought 2 tickets and not in the same bubble should contact them, luckily I only bought a single ticket anyway :)

1 hour ago, Beryl H said:

Does anyone know what personal details you have to give the ROH to pass on to the NHS if you don't have a mobile phone?

If it's the same form as at my local café, it would be just name and phone number.

9 minutes ago, bridiem said:

If it's the same form as at my local café, it would be just name and phone number.

I'm going to the National Gallery tomorrow, and I see that they say that by booking a ticket you are agreeing to participate in NHS Test and Trace, so you don't have to 'check in' when you get there (other than by showing your ticket of course). So I wonder why you have to do this at the ROH? Maybe they considered it a better mitigation of risk?

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 2

That’s what everywhere was doing in the summer- just linking the test and trace to your booking. I guess some people may book and not turn up which could cause confusion, or people could claim they never arrived to avoid isolation. You’d hope not, but apparently people were given ‘fake’ details

• Like 2

On 04/10/2020 at 08:38, bangorballetboy said:

it has been hung in various places over the years. Before the refurbishment/open up, it was on the wall of the amphi bar, near the top of the escalators. 

The ROH Hockney sold for £ 11M, the low end of the estimate.  I'm sure they were hoping for much more but should keep the wolf another cm or two from the door. 

5 minutes ago, oncnp said:

The ROH Hockney sold for £ 11M, the low end of the estimate.  I'm sure they were hoping for much more but should keep the wolf another cm or two from the door. 

Oh well better than a poke in the eye! There aren't that many cultural institutions that would have something so valuable they could sell without causing too much of a fuss.

It will be interesting to see what further Government support they get.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MJW said:

It will be interesting to see what further Government support they get.

Just the gazillion £ loan they've applied for under the Cultural Recovery Fund. Hopefully the enhancements to the jobs support scheme announced today will help them (and all of the arts) as well. 

7 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

The Hockney sold for £12,865,000

Does that include the buyers premium + taxes? I was watching the auction live and the hammer fell at 11 M. Higher number would be better of course!

Edited by oncnp

Just now, bangorballetboy said:

must do. I missed the auction live as doing a gin tasting!

You time was better spent!  I wonder how much (if any) of the buyers premium makes it to the seller? 

Just now, oncnp said:

You time was better spent!  I wonder how much (if any) of the buyers premium makes it to the seller? 

None I think - it all goes to the auction house!

1 minute ago, MJW said:

None I think - it all goes to the auction house!

I thought so. I realize there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes but not bad for about 5 minutes of work. There didn't seem to be much interest in it. 

There's usually a (smaller) seller's commission too I think, taken off the hammer price? Though I seem to remember this is sometimes waived or reduced when the auction house is particularly keen to attract the seller for whatever reason - this could be one such case, being a high profile work which would attract buyers to the sale.

From the Christie's website:

Christie’s charges a single Seller’s Commission rate for the services we provide. The commission is calculated on each item as a fixed percentage based on the eventual hammer price at auction. This rate includes marketing costs and insurance cover (except for Wine sales, where marketing and insurance are charged separately). If your item sells for over the high estimate we agree with you, there will also be an additional 2% Performance Commission fee.

Then the buyers commission figures I've got from a Sotheby's auction I went to in 2017as an example are 25% of hammer price up to £175,000, 20% on any amount in excess of 175,000 up to £2 million and 12.5% on any amount in excess of £2 million.....and that's exclusive of VAT.

The ROH should branch out in to the auctioneering business!!

29 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Then the buyers commission figures I've got from a Sotheby's auction I went to in 2017as an example are 25% of hammer price up to £175,000, 20% on any amount in excess of 175,000 up to £2 million and 12.5% on any amount in excess of £2 million.....and that's exclusive of VAT.

The ROH should branch out in to the auctioneering business!!

So the ROH will be paying at least £1.375m in commission plus costs and VAT making its return from the sale come out at well under £10m.

I’ve just found the current Christie’s  buyers premiums...seems to be even worse!

On all lots we charge 25% of the hammer price up to and including £450,000,20%onthatpart ofthehammerpriceover£450,000anduptoandincluding£4,500,000, and 14.5% of that part of the hammer price above £4,500,000. VAT will be added to the buyer’s premium

Of course what we really want to know are the sellers commission rates 

Edited by Rob S

47 minutes ago, capybara said:

So the ROH will be paying at least £1.375m in commission plus costs and VAT making its return from the sale come out at well under £10m.

That's the  buyer's premium, not the seller as @Rob S mentions above. 

The ROH will have to pay a seller's commission only defined as a percentage of the hammer price. As @Rob S says that is the proverbial $64K question. 

Edited by oncnp