Practicalities of re-opening in late Spring 2021 (previously Autumn 2020) - or thereafter?

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Exactly what I had in mind when I was hoping that the ROH would 'hit the spot' with its mask(s).

I emailed the ROH shop and received a very prompt reply saying they will be selling masks. No indication when though. 

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having said I don’t want to buy anything fancy that specifically reminds me of this pandemic I’ve just seen that the National Theatre is selling Lady Macbeth hand sanitiser....the caption is “out out damn coronavirus” or something similar lol!!   

• Like 3

Well I’ve just bought some Lady Macbeth hand sanitiser from Nat. Theatre lol! 
Ive also bought an Anthony and Cleopatra compact mirror which I’ve needed for ages ( well the mirror anyway) so that was genuinely useful at least but just couldn’t resist the hand sanitiser. 
Still won’t be buying ROH mask though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

A shame - but needs must I suppose. A completely different situation however to the possibility of the Royal Academy selling its Michelangelo

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where the picture the ROH is selling is hung? I can't recall seeing it in any of the public areas. 

Portrait of Sir David Webster by David Hockney, dated 1971

Edited by oncnp

I can't but then I'm normally rushing because I've cut it fine!

It's a shame but I can see why they're doing it and as the ROH isn't an art gallery or museum I can't really see any moral objection, unless it was a donation. (Presumably if it were and there were strings attached we'd know about it.)

If it were being sold off because of long term mismanagement I'd be more concerned but the circumstances are clearly exceptional. But still, they can only sell it once, so best to have a plan for next time something like this happens!

11 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where the picture the ROH is selling is hung? I can't recall seeing it in any of the public areas. 

Portrait of Sir David Webster by David Hockney, dated 1971

it has been hung in various places over the years. Before the refurbishment/open up, it was on the wall of the amphi bar, near the top of the escalators. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Sad indeed. I’m afraid of what this could mean for NYCB and ABT performances into summer 2021...not to mention each company’s small (one week) tour to the Kennedy Center. This news, coupled with the earlier word about the Metropolitan Opera closure through August 2021, isn’t very promising. Sigh.

• Like 1

I switched back to the BBC News after the Royal Ballet broadcast to come in halfway through a report indicating that the "Seat Out to Help Out" campaign has had some sort of success, in that a number of Christmas pantomimes have been able to be scheduled (including at Birmingham Hippodrome, by the sounds of it) - with attendant employment of musicians, dancers, actors, technical people and so on - by the cost of the lost seats being borne, albeit by the National Lottery rather than the Chancellor.  The scheme could be extended if there's a will - although given recent comments by the Chancellor which have been reported, I'm not sure whether that will is there :(

• Like 1

A small report from Zurich Opera House, where I saw Christian Spuck's new Sleeping Beauty yesterday (not one step from Petipa, the fairies are very campy men and the kiss doesn't work - don't ask): They play for a full house, with people really sitting next to each other, but everyone has to wear a mask during the whole evening. As I know it from German theatres already, people do care for each other and try keep a distance, I saw no-one dropping the mask. There is an intermission, but no orchestra in the pit - the musicians play live at their rehearsal stage 1 km away and the sound comes from a sound system in the pit, it works perfectly. They accept their applause on a screen which comes down before and after the performance. The Zurich Ballet dances like before the pandemic, with pas de deux and touching and a normal corps de ballet. God, it was great to see ballet like once in February, even if I lost the plot...

Edited by Angela
typo
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Angela said:

and the kiss doesn't work

I know you said not to ask but I’m intrigued. Does the curtain fall with Aurora still asleep? No happy ending? Or does the Prince find someone else?

Very pleased to hear how well the remote orchestra worked.

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

Does the curtain fall with Aurora still asleep? No happy ending? Or does the Prince find someone else?

He kisses her, but she doesn't wake up. One more kiss, another urgent one, almost comical, the male fairies shake their heads, everybody is worried. Then comes Carabosse, whose child Aurora's childless royal parents stole in the first scene, and drops a kiss on Aurora's forehead - the real kiss of love, as I read in the summary in the programme, and on we go with the story. Well...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Angela said:

There is an intermission, but no orchestra in the pit - the musicians play live at their rehearsal stage 1 km away and the sound comes from a sound system in the pit, it works perfectly.

I heard about something similar for an opera on the radio a few days ago.  I'm not sure how well it would work for somewhere like the Royal Opera House, but it would at least solve the problem of having no Orchestra Stalls seats available, and would make performances less uneconomic to produce, presumably.

Good news for the BRB and RAD (at least) - they've received grants from the government's arts rescue package.  Full list out later today per Telegraph. 

I think this was just one of a series of ads, trying to get people from a wide range of walks of life, and current careers, to think about going into cyber security training (where there is a shortage of candidates to fill the positions available), rather than advocating artistic careers were doomed so go train for something else. Which is what some tory ministers had been advocating. I don't think the company involved was being directed by the government in this case, so for once they are innocent of this

• Like 1

Apparently there was a whole series of those ads featuring different jobs. It’s only offensive currently because of the current situation. I’ve spent many years training for my profession but I doubt I’ll be able to do it until a retirement age of 68. Same for many people I think. If no performing artists had been included I expect there would be criticism that it was because of the (incorrect) perception of a lack of academics. 

The full list of the initial tranche of Cultural Recovery Fund distributions is out (https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/publication/culture-recovery-fund-data). These are the < £1M  grants. Still pending are the  £1 - 3M grants and the > £ 3M loans. 

For dance It amounts to ~ £6.9M for 50 organizations, the largest being

Northern Ballet Limited             £744,798

Royal Academy of Dance          £606,366

Birmingham Royal Ballet           £500,000

Contemporary Dance Trust      £472,339

Studio Wayne McGregor           £302,168

Dance City                                 £240,000

Edited by oncnp

3 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

I think this was just one of a series of ads, trying to get people from a wide range of walks of life, and current careers, to think about going into cyber security training (where there is a shortage of candidates to fill the positions available), rather than advocating artistic careers were doomed so go train for something else. 

Exactly, rather like the Royal Navy recruitment adverts that said if you can fix a bike or car you can be trained to fix a Lynx helicopter or a warship’s main cannon.