Practicalities of re-opening in late Spring 2021 (previously Autumn 2020) - or thereafter?

I don't think we can legally do that, can we?

51 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Not possible on the Sadler’s Wells website. The following message is on the site for the BRB performances next month.

This performance adheres to Social Distancing guidelines and seats are allocated in singles and pairs, please note that, a single seat cannot be selected for purchase where it would leave a single seat for sale.

Thanks, coronavirus.  It took years to stop the SW website doing that, and now we have it back again :(

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but chopping and changing as you please, to go to the theatre?  I'd have thought it was debatable.  As far as I know, a bubble has to have a minimum of one person living alone in it - and by no means everyone who buys single tickets for the theatre qualifies under that definition.

Please do tell me if I'm wrong, someone!

18 minutes ago, alison said:

Yes, but chopping and changing as you please, to go to the theatre?  I'd have thought it was debatable.  As far as I know, a bubble has to have a minimum of one person living alone in it - and by no means everyone who buys single tickets for the theatre qualifies under that definition.

Please do tell me if I'm wrong, someone!

I’d love to be able to confirm one way or other but in all honesty I’m so confused by everything 🤷‍♀️ Every week there seems to be a new rule at work never mind what’s happening out in the real world 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jane said:

I’d love to be able to confirm one way or other but in all honesty I’m so confused by everything 🤷‍♀️ Every week there seems to be a new rule at work never mind what’s happening out in the real world 

May help (or not) … "Support bubbles must be "exclusive". Once in one, you can't switch and start another with a different household." 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52637354

But if you know your older ballet friends are pretty much not mixing that much at all (especially the ones without children or grandchildren) I would think possibly going with one friend ( to make up a pair) on one occasion and another friend on another occasion shouldn’t be much of a problem. 
Not that I’m planning any theatre visits just yet. Am just venturing up to London to meet up with friends socially  ( not at the same time) for the first time next week!! But  if this sort of theatre arrangement goes on for next six months or more might want to form a couple of pairs. 

A support bubble is a single adult joining with one other household to provide support. You then are considered one ‘household’. You can’t change once you’ve formed the bubble. You can’t go and sit next to someone from another household at the theatre, surely that’s what all the seat plans are there to avoid! 

• Like 1

But surely I can mix with at least one person from another household then? 
Any rules are to help reduce Covid and if I’m meeting this friend socially should I not be able to go to the theatre with them. 
The rules are unfair if families can meet up that is a “granny” can go and see her daughter and family one week and her son and family another? But two individual friends cannot meet? 

Coronavirus is transmitted just the same whether you know someone or not! If you meet one person socially you need to socially distance, sitting in the next theatre seat isn’t socially distanced. You’d be indoors, very close to each other for a prolonged period. 
support bubbles are solely for those who live alone as those people are isolated and will need some human interaction and help. So in your example if Granny lives alone she could form a bubble with either the son or the daughter (not both on alternate weeks) and they wouldn’t need to distance. If she lives with someone else she could not do that. If son or daughter has a partner and 4 children they wouldn’t all be able to meet at all even outside as the maximum number is 6 (unless they are in a support bubble). So anyone can meet with 5 other people with social distancing. The only exception is people living on their own but personally I think that’s fair as otherwise they would be totally alone! Perhaps rules will change again but for now our numbers are going up because of people bending the rules so really do need to stick to them at the moment

• Like 1

If you live alone or your friend does you could of course form a bubble. However the bubble is exclusive so

Once you’ve done that you can’t form one with anyone else, or change your bubble. So

if you have a theatre going friend who lives nearby and you could also help each other out if you had to isolate etc that could work well. 

So trying to get my head around this ...and I know it’s changing again on Monday ...

But at the moment a granny and grandad who have been seeing their son and daughter ...separately not at the same time ....and their kids ... let’s say the son and daughter both have two kids ..so they have mixed over a number of weeks with four adults and four children. 
Then granny and grandad can go to the theatre together. 
But three friends who have been meeting each other separately and don’t have family ( not talking about myself here but others I know) they might not be able to go to the theatre one month with one friend and another month with the other!! 
The whole thing is stupid in my opinion as in the end the three friends are less likely to have come into Covid contact than the granny and grandad who are mixing with more people!!! 
In the new arrangements starting on Monday I’m assuming the number six is just no more than six at ONE meeting ( I still haven’t met with more than one other person apart from partner) and not that you have to choose only six possible people to meet up with whether at same time or not? 

If people have to quarantine for 14 days and then it is ok to go about your lawful business how long does a bubble last?

If for example I have a bubble with a friend but then don't see that friend for a month could I form a bubble with another friend?

The rules are supposed to be simpler but it just causes even more questions than answers!

The granny and grandad would be socially distanced from those outside their household at the theatre that’s the difference. 3 friends sitting inches from each other would be mixing households. Granny and grandad visiting family are meant to socially distanced from them. It’s the proximity that’s the problem. On average 3 individual adults living separately would have a lot more exposure than a family of 3. The rules work on a population basis- they may seem unfair on an individual basis at times, from monday a family of 6 will not be able to meet with anyone together even outside! There has to be one set of rules or it would be chaos, but it only works if everyone sticks to them even if they are the ones disadvantaged (the specific people disadvantaged probably changed somewhat with each change in the rules!)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

If people have to quarantine for 14 days and then it is ok to go about your lawful business how long does a bubble last?

If for example I have a bubble with a friend but then don't see that friend for a month could I form a bubble with another friend?

The rules are supposed to be simpler but it just causes even more questions than answers!

No you’re not supposed to change bubbles at all officially. Although in your example earlier you are allowed to give lifts (you’re meant to wear a mask and keep the window open🙄) and you are allowed to help people for health reasons so I wouldn’t say you were in a bubble just for getting a lift to a medical appointment. 

49 minutes ago, alison said:

So if you're going to form a bubble with someone, probably best to be with someone who goes to similar numbers of performances and likes the same casts, I'd think?

and doesn’t eat crisps, cough, take their shoes off, encroach on your leg space, chat etc. Tbh a single socially distanced seat sounds like heaven🤣

• Like 6

I don’t understand your post in answer to mine Peony.

I’m talking about three older retired people but who don’t have family!

How would they be more exposed to Covid than a family of four( not three) who granny and grandad are visiting...even if they are being very good on their visits and keeping two metres apart from grandchildren etc!! 

It’s likely the adults ( son and daughter and spouses) are working too ...so in an overall sense people who are retired are less likely to be exposed to Covid than families with children. 

Also it would be only two friends at the theatre ...a pair..  not three! 
Also the three friends only ever meet in pairs socially and don’t sit on top of each other when they do meet!! 
Ive only met one friend so far and we kept a respectable distance and were never inches from each other. 
I may be misunderstanding you but why do you seem to think friends are less respectful of the social distancing when meeting up than grannies and grandads visiting families!! 
When talking about mixing households isn’t it important to know exactly what those households have been doing? 
The three retired friends could be mixing more than one “household” so making it two ...but could still in fact be safer than those mixing with just one other household depending on the numbers  involved in households or bubbles whatever people want to call them and how often they are meeting up etc . 

You’re looking at it on an individual basis we can’t have everyone doing their own risk assessment and then doing their own thing that they think is ok. There are a million permutations as to what people are and aren’t doing, there’s no judgement on individuals. A family may be isolating, working from home, a week old baby is still counted the same as an adult,  a retired person may be doing voluntary work but rules can’t be made around individuals, it’s the average that’s important (which is why I changed to family of 3 as gov are working on numbers of people rather than age or circumstance). One set of rules for everyone will reduce the risk by x%. If people bend those rules it increases risk overall. Every social interaction carries some risk, if you have additional social interactions it increases overall risk. If many people do that we have a problem. In a theatre seat you’re incredibly close to another person that’s the issue, so it’s not in line with the guidelines (law) if they are not part of your household. 

• Like 2

If theatres aren’t providing a decent proportion of single seats perhaps people could complain that it doesn’t meet their ‘inclusivity’ agenda. When you book the cinema you can book a single seat in a block of 2 or some allow you to book your seats and then the system blocks the couple of seats either side so it’s more of a dynamic process.if the system says you can’t book and leave a single seat surely that’s not quite right as you could book a single seat in a block of 3 or 4. I must admit on occasions I’ve put a seat in my basket on my laptop and then booked the seats I want on my phone to get round the no single seats  left rule!

• Like 1

I did point out to SWells yesterday that if, after the ‘higher’ ( ! ) levels of membership had booked, there were only one or two single seats left per performance of Lazuli Sky, they were, in effect, preventing individuals from booking unless they paid for two seats. 
But I guess that, at the moment, the major consideration is to fit as many socially distanced places Into the theatre as they possibly can. And that is very understandable.

• Like 4

Yes Peony I think I do look at these rules from a very individual perspective so I can weigh  up who could be at more risk to me and I to them 😊 Friends who are working and with families especially with teenagers or children at home in 20’s are more a risk to me than a retired friend who does not have family and is not going out that much but may be meeting the odd friend every so often. 
At the moment I’m somebody who is about as safe as it gets but this will be changing very soon. 
Classes are now starting to resume in studios instead of on zoom...so then add on travelling to get to them!! 
My partner and I are going away to Devon for a week at the end of September so of course mostly staying in hotels ...so further increased risk. 
Next week I’m going up to London for the first time since first week of March to meet up with a very good friend. We’ve planned it very carefully but all the above are now increased risks that haven’t been taking before so this would mean giving some serious thought to meeting up with anybody who was more vulnerable from now on. 
Where theatres are concerned I often go on my own anyway so single seats would be fine for me but am not planning on going before the end of the year. I just think that I’m able to judge who I would be prepared to sit next to and they would obviously have to be happy with me. 
We all know why Gov has to end up bringing in stricter guidelines and who they are really designed for!! Though to say until now they have mostly been a tad confusing is pretty much an understatement 🙄 

2 hours ago, capybara said:

But I guess that, at the moment, the major consideration is to fit as many socially distanced places Into the theatre as they possibly can. And that is very understandable.

Quite.  Which is why I thought singletons were likely to get the roughest deal.

I wonder whether these restricted-number performances are going to result in an upsurge in people joining priority booking schemes such as Friends just so they can get a ticket.  One unexpected advantage, perhaps.

3 hours ago, Tony Newcombe said:

in the meantime Lauretta Summerscales danced Swan Lake last night in Germany. Audience and orchestra present. 

A lot of social media coverage from the company and Dance Europe went to watch.

Interestingly, both her Siegfried (Emilio Pavan) and her Rothbart (Redbeard) (Jinhao Zhang) left ENB at the same time as she and Yonah did. An interesting performing bubble!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, capybara said:

A lot of social media coverage from the company and Dance Europe went to watch.

Interestingly, both her Siegfried (Emilio Pavan) and her Rothbart (Redbeard) (Jinhao Zhang) left ENB at the same time as she and Yonah did. An interesting performing bubble!

Was that the same year Corrales left for the Royal Ballet?