Practicalities of re-opening in late Spring 2021 (previously Autumn 2020) - or thereafter?

I heard on the radio that live performances were due to resume at, among other places, Cadogan Hall in London (an orchestra-sized classical music venue).  Anyone who's been there will already be aware of how restricted access to the auditorium is, so if they can make it work under current social distancing guidelines I would assume that other venues would probably stand a good chance of doing so too.

• Like 4

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See the struggling STAGE has a headline article about an issue I raised a bit ago here:

Producers are warning that their inability to insure shows against cancellation due to coronavirus is fast becoming the biggest obstacle to theatre’s recovery ... 

According to producer Edward Snape, the current situation "will stop work happening in the first place”, because producers will not be able to proceed with planned projects uninsured. "Without it, we don’t restart", he added .... 

Edited by Bruce Wall

7 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

See the struggling STAGE has a headline article about an issue I raised a bit ago here:

Producers are warning that their inability to insure shows against cancellation due to coronavirus is fast becoming the biggest obstacle to theatre’s recovery ... 

According to producer Edward Snape, the current situation "will stop work happening in the first place”, because producers will not be able to proceed with planned projects uninsured. "Without it, we don’t restart", he added .... 

So why is Sleepless going ahead (opening later this week)?

And what is "the struggling STAGE" that you mention so frequently?  I'm aware of a publication called The Stage (to which I subscribe).  Is this the same thing?

• Like 3

It is The Stage - which has written of its own struggles ... thus the 'struggling'.  I know Sleepless is opening this week ... and Jesus Christ Superstar is currently playing in a socially distanced fashion ... and the upcoming exciting solo performances at The Bridge, amongst others ... This is simply raising the issue of insurance being a concern in terms of substantial return.  It is an issue which hasn't been given much popular play but which I know is a considerable professional concern and i'm sure will be overcome - alongside all - in time.   I won't quote or post in this particular strand or, indeed, from this particular source here again.  As it is I have so much on my own plate just now.  The only reason I have been doing so is because Capybara kindly made me aware that it was under a firewall and I simply wanted to share information insofar as I was able with others within the guidelines.  I am sorry for the fact that this has been upsetting to your good self and indeed it seems to others.  That was not my intent.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

It is The Stage - which has written of its own struggles ... thus the 'struggling'.  I know Sleepless is opening this week ... and Jesus Christ Superstar is currently playing in a socially distanced fashion ... and the upcoming exciting solo performances at The Bridge, amongst others ... This is simply raising the issue of insurance being a concern in terms of substantial return.  It is an issue which hasn't been given much popular play but which I know is a considerable professional concern and i'm sure will be overcome - alongside all - in time.   I won't quote or post in this particular strand or, indeed, from this particular source here again.  As it is I have so much on my own plate just now.  The only reason I have been doing so is because Capybara kindly made me aware that it was under a firewall and I simply wanted to share information insofar as I was able with others within the guidelines.  I am sorry for the fact that this has been upsetting to your good self and indeed it seems to others.  That was not my intent.  

As far as I am concerned there is no criticism at all of you, Bruce - indeed it's very good of you to post the reports. I just find The Stage's approach pretty irritating at the moment, as if no other organisation is struggling with the current issues and difficulties.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bridiem said:

As far as I am concerned there is no criticism at all of you, Bruce - indeed it's very good of you to post the reports. I just find The Stage's approach pretty irritating at the moment, as if no other organisation is struggling with the current issues and difficulties.

Thank you, bridiem.  Much appreciated.  That noted I will stand by what I said.  

• Like 2

Sir Simon Rattle has just been on BBC Radio 3's In Tune programme discussing in some detail the practicalities and frustrations of trying to get orchestral performances back into concert halls.  This is in advance of the live Prom he will be conducting on Sunday (shown on BBC4).  It was about 45 minutes in from the start of the programme, and probably about 15 minutes in total.

• Like 2

This is quite an interesting article in today's Telegraph comparing various arts institutions and how well they are (or not) dealing with the Covid situation. Please note it is behind the T'graph's paywall.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/theatre/what-to-see/covid-crisis-has-revealed-true-cultural-leadership-looks-like/

There was an interesting article about Grange Park Opera a few weeks ago, and how smaller companies were much nimbler and more proactive in reaching out than the larger 'national' companies.

12 minutes ago, MJW said:

This is quite an interesting article in today's Telegraph comparing various arts institutions and how well they are (or not) dealing with the Covid situation. Please note it is behind the T'graph's paywall.

Thank you. I hadn't seen this.  His conclusion was perhaps the most interesting (in reference to the South Bank Center but could apply generally)

"By the time we reach the other side of the pandemic, a substantial number of arts organizations could have tanked – and that might not be altogether a bad thing for the overall ecology." 

31 minutes ago, MJW said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/theatre/what-to-see/covid-crisis-has-revealed-true-cultural-leadership-looks-like/

There was an interesting article about Grange Park Opera a few weeks ago, and how smaller companies were much nimbler and more proactive in reaching out than the larger 'national' companies.

Some of whom seem to be sitting on their laurels assuming everyone will stay loyal no matter how little they do to keep their audience interested, entertained and on board.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Some of whom seem to be sitting on their laurels assuming everyone will stay loyal no matter how little they do to keep their audience interested, entertained and on board.  

- no matter what they are REALLY doing for their dancers and other artistes!!!!

• Like 1

ENB ran a Zoom introduction to its Emerging Dancer event last night. It will feature pas de deux, including new choreography, and there will be a socially distanced audience in the company’s own production studio.
But, no doubt, there will be an announcement soon.

• Like 4

I would imagine then if in own studio that tickets would not be that available to the general public though they might give some priority to Friends of ENB? 
It would be a lovely opportunity to experience their new theatre but it doesn’t hold that many in normal times so perhaps will be a sort of token audience ...better than no audience at all though!! 
The ENB premises is lovely and spacious to move around in at least. 

Definitely 100 times more difficult lol! 
Although that main studio there was a very special place it was not exactly the easiest for flowing air and the lower studio even worse! 
I can’t remember the new date for Emerging Dancer but will be giving  it a miss this year anyway but hope some public will get offered tickets. 
Im very pleased I won a years ENB membership in their Christmas calendar competition because is now valid until September 2021 so hope can get to some event before then. Only managed the November masterclass on 2020 membership! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

I can’t remember the new date for Emerging Dancer but will be giving  it a miss this year anyway but hope some public will get offered tickets. 

ENB's Emerging Dancer is now on Tuesday, 22nd September.

You don't have to "give it a miss" because it will be live-streamed.

• Like 3

Saw this wedged in on the ROH site. Does anyone have any information? 

We'll soon be making a full announcement on what to expect from the Royal Opera House's participation in Open House London. Booking for Open House 2020 will open soon.

Edited by oncnp

9 minutes ago, oncnp said:

We'll soon be making a full announcement on what to expect from the Royal Opera House's participation in Open House London. Booking for Open House 2020 will open soon.

Not for 2020 but the Open House London is an annual initiative and, in the past, the ROH has been open to visitors in that context. I went in 2018 when the new parts were open for  the first time and it was possible to see all the public areas but not back stage.

6 hours ago, oncnp said:

A bit more detail here https://open-city.org.uk/open-house

I first went to London Open House many years ago (though I haven't been for some time) - managed to see inside the FCO, Lloyds of London, City Hall etc etc. London Open Squares is also worth a look for the future - https://londongardenstrust.org/ogsw/2020/home/ (as one can go into Eaton Square, Cadogan Square etc without having to own a property on the Square!)

Just had an email from my local theatre (Bath) that states it's going to be announcing its Autumn 2020 season on Friday with general release a week later, it's also stated their Covid measures....the normal capacity is 900

mail.jpg

• Like 1

From a Russian-language article fvia Google translate) Vadim Muntagirov (Principal or "Prime Minister" as it seems to translate in many languages, Royal Ballet)  thinks full scale productions won't be until March 2021.  Link below but relevant passage.....

But they said that they would be able to fill the hall completely and plan large three-act ballets only in March 2021. Before that, there will probably only be small one-act ballets, where there are as few artists as possible on the stage - such as "Appolo" or "A Month in the Country". 

https://chayka.lv/2020/09/01/vadim-muntagirov/?cn-reloaded=1&fbclid=IwAR3wjlIKpDVwUCr7Sn3v9oH7jmRPLpnD0-IgcH974CLE1EMPXUfPeYXPTZM

Edited by oncnp

4 hours ago, oncnp said:

Before that, there will probably only be small one-act ballets, where there are as few artists as possible on the stage - such as "Appolo" or "A Month in the Country". 

That would suit me very well indeed (and doubtless Muntagirov as well!).

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here BUT THE ROYAL BALLET DOES NEED TO PUT SOMETHING OUT VERY SOON even if, as in the case of ENB's press release, it is not possible to dot all the i's and cross all the t's.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, capybara said:

…. BUT THE ROYAL BALLET DOES NEED TO PUT SOMETHING OUT VERY SOON even if, as in the case of ENB's press release, it is not possible to dot all the i's and cross all the t's.

Perhaps they need a few days/a week to get everyone back into the studio (Sept 1? Anyone know if that actually happened?) and assess where they are and what's possible before making an announcement?

34 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Perhaps they need a few days/a week to get everyone back into the studio (Sept 1? Anyone know if that actually happened?) and assess where they are and what's possible before making an announcement?

I'm sure I read somewhere that Tamara Rojo said it would take up to 12 weeks for the dancers to get fully fighting fit as, during lockdown/zoom classes they have only been able to do basic barre type work and not much in the way of leaping and turning as most of them have been working in their kitchens/lounges.

I can't see the RB being much different from ENB.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that Tamara Rojo said it would take up to 12 weeks for the dancers to get fully fighting fit as, during lockdown/zoom classes they have only been able to do basic barre type work and not much in the way of leaping and turning as most of them have been working in their kitchens/lounges.

I can't see the RB being much different from ENB.

Undoubtedly true but the ROH has already announced the date for  Friday 9 October, giving them just over a month (assuming back 1 Sept as advertised) and it will be a gala format ("showcase of heritage and modern highlights") , not requiring full fighting fit but maybe a step in that direction.  

Edited by oncnp

The situation appears to be not quite as difficult for orchestras, which are already performing live concerts (e.g. at the Proms).  For them, it seems to be the audience which is the problem.  The London Philharmonic Orchestra has just announced a full autumn season of concerts from the Royal Festival Hall streamed on Marquee TV:

Announcement here

I still think that with ballet and opera companies the orchestra being in a pit is likely to cause major problems :(  Sure, you can perform works with a cut-down ensemble (as you probably could with dance), but it's a question of finding something to occupy all the company/orchestra members which may be the problem.