Practicalities of re-opening in late Spring 2021 (previously Autumn 2020) - or thereafter?

Guest oncnp
7 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Right. According to the above articles, also known as “The G Variation.”

By autumn it could he the "H", "I" or "J" mutation

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Outdoor venues - I see today that Let's All Dance are doing a number of open air performances in London parks in August of 'Alice in Wonderland'. Its quite a small ballet company that aims to bring/introduce  ballet to family audiences, mentions ages 2-14 on their website. Probably of no interest to many on this site, especially this thread but its nice to see live ballet in any form returning to in-person audiences. www.let's-all-dance.co.uk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Just saw this in The Telegraph's short-form listing ... Scared the living daylights out of me I can tell you.  Can't of course speak for anyone else.  May a vaccine come as soon as is safely possible.  It now appears [at least to me] that it might well be the ONLY realistic light at the end of arts' seemingly ever deepening tunnel - no matter how many sprays you might find lodged in any particular doorway.  

A new mutation of Covid-19 is now the most dominant strand of the virus globally and forming clusters quicker in the UK than the original virus from Wuhan, an expert has warned. Professor Nick Loman of the University of Birmingham, who is part of the Covid-19 Genomics Consortium, said the mutation, known as D614G, has an observable impact on cases in humans.

I wouldn't worry too much - the article goes on to say: "We didn't see any significant association with survival and the length of hospital stays with this mutation – we don't think this mutation is important in changing virulence. The effect seems to be on transmissibility."

2 hours ago, MJW said:

The effect seems to be on transmissibility."

Perhaps I'm missing something, MJW, - and I really don't want to make too fine a point of it - honestly I don't - but I should think 'transmisibility' (Is that a word? ... Maybe it's something like ACE's 'additionality') would be key when taking into consideration the title of this particular BcoF strand.  Or perhaps that is JUST me.  Often happens ... 

I remember very early on they were saying that the strain in Italy was not the same as that in Wuhan, and that most of our cases were from Italy and Europe. If you look at the dates they are suggesting we only had a handful of confirmed cases prior to March and our peak was mid April when the more virulent strain was predominant, so it may not be alarming as it sounds! We’ve been postulating that increased viral load is linked to the adverse outcomes in groups such as health workers and bus drivers so it’s interesting that they did not observe poorer outcomes with the increased viral load 

Edited by Peony

4 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

There’s an article here that seems a little more informed than the broader media.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-mutation-explained.html

I do think those of us who aren't particularly expert in such matters are better off taking our cues directly from those who are, rather than rehashed versions of reports.  We have enough other things to worry about :(.  For example:

Britain at risk of becoming ‘cultural wasteland’ with widespread closures and redundancies in arts sector, MPs warn

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/britain-at-risk-of-becoming-cultural-wasteland-with-widespread-closures-and-redundancies-in-arts-sector-mps-warn/ar-BB174vIe?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=ASUDHP

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Thanks so, Jan.  I know I can always count on you to promptly follow up on my lack of literate understanding so prevalent hereabouts it seems I fear.  Bless you for that.  I should have looked it up myself but work pressures at the moment are I fear key and, well, priorities must - certainly in this new age.   Now back to work ... 

Just for the record, Jan ... it turns out that 'additionality' is a real word too!!!  .... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Additionality

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, alison said:

We have enough other things to worry about :(.  For example:

Britain at risk of becoming ‘cultural wasteland’ with widespread closures and redundancies in arts sector, MPs warn

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/britain-at-risk-of-becoming-cultural-wasteland-with-widespread-closures-and-redundancies-in-arts-sector-mps-warn/ar-BB174vIe?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=ASUDHP

Hopefully the content will chivvy the powers that be into taking some sort of action ...

• Like 2

The social distancing is of course a primary concern with it making - as ALW clearly says about his own shows - them economically nonviable.  There is I fear another major skeleton in this particular closet and that is the small issue of insurance, an item which no producer/presenter in this country - be they large or small - can legally leave home without.  There is precious little product out there - certainly of scale - that will LET them currently open 'indoors' on any substantive scale.  This is in and of itself, I fear, a virtual lock down order for any substantive 'indoors' activity until an established vaccine/effective therapy treatment for Sars-Cov-2 shows up on the proverbial doorstep.  Sadly no currently known doorway spray is going to wish that one away I fear.    If only it COULD. 

[This is, of course, different in, say, Germany where the State takes the burden of responsibility ... knowing that they have only themselves to answer to/for - and the surety of (I assume dwindling) public funds - should there be a future calamity.  The Stage does have an article saying that the National Theatre is 'considering' opening in the Autumn for small scale outings with social distancing - but it would only be organisations on that scale which could do so - and only because of the largess of the current subsidy - a bit like the Bank of England's recent float of £100 billion into our overall economy ... [Some might say that's the making of another disease but let's not go there.]  There is also another item in that troubled publication speaking of the £21 billion of debt that the Southbank is currently sinking under ... ]

The insurance issue is marked in the current issue of the struggling STAGE as [truncated] thus:

In a world in which a show could be shut for an indefinite period – either because a company member has tested positive for Covid-19 or because of a localised shutdown – the risk, without adequate insurance coverage, for many is simply too great.  This becomes even more complicated for touring productions when considering the possibility that an individual venue may be closed without notice or a company stranded as a result of a local lockdown .... 

There is real concern that at a time when the need to insure for such risk is even greater, venues and organisations will not be able to obtain or afford appropriate coverage. This is not just limited to cancellations, but a host of insurance products normally taken out by organisations, for which there are currently limited or no offers available from providers.

---------------------

I see the government has responded to the petition so many of us signed with a carefully crafted letter that - from my reading - basically says: (a) they have now given £1.57 billion to support - as they clearly point out - 'venues and national institutions' -for which we should be [eternally] grateful while recognising that there will be many freelancers in the arts - as elsewhere - who sadly will be seeing on-going struggles over which they empathise and (b) that they have already given as good a timetable for reopening as they can possibly muster just now .... (and, well, [although this they do not say] the time is nigh for their summer recess) ... 

Edited by Bruce Wall

Well I think Autumn has gone for a Burton.  The best we can hope for (and I am not hugely hopeful) is the Christmas seasons ... otherwise Spring 2021.

(Sheffield has already announced that the Lyceum will not be opening till Spring 2021).

Oh, wait ... the government has just announced:

Arts organisation will be able to apply for grants of up to £3 million as part of the government’s £1.57 billion support package, it has been announced.  In this first round of funding, grants totalling £622 million will be distributed to cultural organisations. ....

Culture secretary Oliver Dowden said: .... “Today we’re publishing guidance so organisations know how to access help. We’re also calling on organisations to be creative in diversifying their income streams and the public to continue supporting the places they love so this funding can be spread as far and wide as possible."

Guest oncnp
9 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Oh, wait ... the government has just announced:

Arts organisation will be able to apply for grants of up to £3 million as part of the government’s £1.57 billion support package, it has been announced.  In this first round of funding, grants totalling £622 million will be distributed to cultural organisations. ....

Culture secretary Oliver Dowden said: .... “Today we’re publishing guidance so organisations know how to access help. We’re also calling on organisations to be creative in diversifying their income streams and the public to continue supporting the places they love so this funding can be spread as far and wide as possible."

and further.....

"Successful applicants for grants will need to submit an "innovative plan" for how they will operate and be sustainable for the remainder of this financial year, and be able to demonstrate their international, national or local significance.

Smaller organisations will be asked to demonstrate how they benefit their local community."

For large organizations like the ROH £3 million won't go very far so they will have to be really "innovative" I think. 

Edited by oncnp

Guest oncnp

More funding info from The Stage. 

"...focus of the Culture Recovery Fund is to support "significant organisations", which were financially viable before Covid-19, towards a full or partial reopening by March 31. " Organizations must open their books and detail how the funds are to be spent.  They will also have to have a plan to "improve the diversity of their workforce, governance, audiences, visitors and participants." as well as a plan to diversify income stream. 

"Organisations will be able to access either grants or repayable finance, but not both.

Those looking for awards of more than £3 million should apply for finance, with further details to be released."

So many places are shut until April 2021, I must admit I do wonder if things will have changed significantly by then (not just theatres but museums, historic houses etc). Is this what is happening in the rest of Europe too? 

4 hours ago, oncnp said:

They will also have to have a plan to "improve the diversity of their workforce, governance, audiences, visitors and participants."

Since "visitors" are clearly distinct from "audiences" (and/or "participants"), I wonder how they are supposed to manage the former - stand outside the venue/HQ etc., grab anyone who appears to fit the profile and drag them in?  :)  Or do "cultural organisations" equate to something broader than just performance venues?  I suppose it might apply to large arts centres such as the South Bank, Barbican Centre etc. ...

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
33 minutes ago, alison said:

-  Or do "cultural organisations" equate to something broader than just performance venues?  I suppose it might apply to large arts centres such as the South Bank, Barbican Centre etc. ...

Per The Stage....plan also includes galleries so perhaps visitors are galleries and audiences performing arts? 

4 hours ago, alison said:

Since "visitors" are clearly distinct from "audiences" (and/or "participants"), I wonder how they are supposed to manage the former - stand outside the venue/HQ etc., grab anyone who appears to fit the profile and drag them in?  :)  Or do "cultural organisations" equate to something broader than just performance venues?  I suppose it might apply to large arts centres such as the South Bank, Barbican Centre etc. ...

Out of interest do cultural institutions regularly survey the background/ethnicity etc of their visitors/audience - especially those for example those museums/galleries which are free?

I think the ones that ask you to register to obtain tickets do (which is quite a lot of them currently as a lot of places are pre-book only). If there are any that still allow walk-in free access presumably they wouldn’t have the data

1 minute ago, Peony said:

I think the ones that ask you to register to obtain tickets do (which is quite a lot of them currently as a lot of places are pre-book only). If there are any that still allow walk-in free access presumably they wouldn’t have the data

Well I went to the Titian exhibition at the National Gallery today for which I had to book (and one would have to book to see the rest of the Gallery now anyway) but other than my name and where I live they know nothing about me!

As many will have heard in the PM's Press Conference - indoor performances - amongst other things - are to be withdrawn from the easing privileges until further instruction.

Won't dribble on as there will be a lot of paper on this ... but the Chief Medical Officer said that we had opened as far as it was possible to do without significant trade offs in terms of risk.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

My MP has now sent me the following response - I have removed local references, although he is obviously writing from within London:

Dear xxxxxxxxxx, 

Thank you for contacting me about the impact of COVID-19 on theatres and arts venues more generally. I’m very sorry for the delay in getting back to you, my office has been exceptionally busy – I do hope that hasn’t inconvenienced you at all. 

(Name of Borough) is very lucky in having two wonderful theatres, the (X) and the (Y), plus many other venues. Over the last few months I have been contacted by a number of constituents who work in theatre, and the arts more generally, many of whom have been struggling during the lockdown as they have been unable to work. 

Things have moved on a bit over the last few weeks, and I am pleased to see that live performances in England have been able to take place outdoors since 11 July with socially distanced audiences, while the UK Government is working to establish pilots for indoor performances.

Allowing outdoor theatres will give hope to many in a sector which has largely shut down over the past few months, and to audiences desperate for entertainment.

However, there is still no clarity for indoor performance venues. We have known from the beginning of lockdown that the performing arts sector will be one of the last to fully reopen. I have consistently called on the UK Government to provide a sector-specific support package for our world-leading cultural sector.

I therefore welcome the much-needed investment of £1.57 billion to support the arts, culture and heritage industries across the UK. But unfortunately, this is too little too late for the theatres that have already announced closures and made redundancies. The UK Government must confirm whether its support package will be used to reverse job cuts. We also need more detail on how the funding will be broken down and the criteria for applying.

The money must reach theatres teetering on the brink fast – especially those in towns and small cities where venues are so vital to local economies. As well as protecting the jewels in the crown, every town and city with a theatre must keep this precious part of their local economy.

Theatres now need a clear plan for when live performances can resume indoors, and how people will be kept safe when venues reopen. Until then, the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme should continue for those who cannot work while venues stay closed. I also believe the UK Government must act urgently to support the self-employed and freelancers in the creative industries who have been excluded from the Treasury income support schemes since the start of the pandemic.

A few weeks ago the Society of London Theatres wrote an open letter to the Prime Minister calling for Government support for the performing arts sector, and I was happy to add my name to the list of signatories. I will continue to press for the unique challenges faced by our theatres and creative industries to be addressed and for culture to be put at the top of the agenda. 

Again, thanks for the email and if you have any further questions about this or any other issue then don’t hesitate to write to me again and I’ll do what I can to help. 

Kind regards,

XXXXX XXXXXXX

MP for XXXXXXXX

• Like 1

On 29/07/2020 at 22:29, oncnp said:

More funding info from The Stage. 

"...focus of the Culture Recovery Fund is to support "significant organisations", which were financially viable before Covid-19, towards a full or partial reopening by March 31. " Organizations must open their books and detail how the funds are to be spent.  They will also have to have a plan to "improve the diversity of their workforce, governance, audiences, visitors and participants." as well as a plan to diversify income stream. 

What is your understanding here of 'diversity' in the expectation that organisations 'improve the diversity of their workforce, governance, audiences, visitors and participants.'?

Humans are diverse in: age, sex, gender, socio-economic status, ethnicity, nationality, height and on and on....even their personal interest in Arts, Sport etc

The What, How and Why needs to be understood in order to do something to 'improve' and meet the measurable outcome (quota) for compliance.

If for example, football codes were asked to hire more females, then ask what is the definition of a female?, how is this to be determined (self-identify or medical certificate), and what is the social good expected from this requirement?  Also, who is putting this ruling forward and was the policy publicly presented and supported by anyone elected by the broader community ?

If for example, Ballet companies were asked to attract audiences of  greater ethnic or racial diversity , then ask what is the definition of an audience member's ethnicity/race?, how is this to be determined (self identify, med certificate, nationality/citizenship) etc etc 

You can't comply if you don't understand the requirement and how it can be met!

Edited by DD Driver

Guest oncnp

Expected but still disappointing from the Stage

"Theatre and the wider entertainment industry will not receive a targeted extension to the furlough scheme while they remain unable to operate, chancellor Rishi Sunak has confirmed."

The Mariinsky has reopened with performances of a Petit double bill - Carmen Suite and Le Jeune Homme et la Mort  - which does not require many dancers.  They are about to embark on a series of Giselle performances.  I understand that about 20 dancers have tested positive for coronavirus and some are quite ill.  The performances appear to be going ahead, but from Saturday (8 August) all classes and rehearsals, even one to one rehearsals, have been cancelled.  Artists who are not involved in performances are asked not to come to the theatre.

The Bolshoi has not yet reopened, but full-scale classes and rehearsals are under way.  Apparently one artist fell ill with coronavirus and now 59 artists and pianists have been quarantined on the orders of the authorities.

Meanwhile I understand that the Dutch National Ballet are back in the studio today.  The latest regulations allow them to touch each other and congregate on the premises, but not beyond the stage door.

• Like 1

From the struggling STAGE ..

Theatres are entering a critical stage in their fight for survival, with the cancellation of the 2020/21 pantomime season expected to cost the industry more than £90 million in lost revenue ....

Theatres that have already announced the postponement of this year’s pantomimes include Hackney Empire, Birmingham Hippodrome, Blackpool Grand, the Mayflower in Southampton, Hull New Theatre, Nottingham Theatre Royal, Lyric Hammersmith, the Queen’s Theatre Hornchurch and Theatre Royal Stratford East. Selladoor Worldwide has also announced that its subsidiary company Prime Pantomimes will not be producing any shows this year ....

There is much more but want to stay within the BcoF quotation guidelines .. This should give you a sense of the rest ... It goes on to list a goodly number of other cancellations (i.e., those beyond Qdos) and those on the brink of doing so ... plus redundancies ... much as is the case for so many institutions in the creative industries.