Practicalities of re-opening in late Spring 2021 (previously Autumn 2020) - or thereafter?

So far 3 MPs have asked the PM about support for theatres in the debate following the PM's statement about reducing the lockdown. His replies were vague, saying the Secretary for State would continue to speak to the sector, trying to seek solutions through task forces.

I have just sent an email to my MP, the more pressure they get the better.

• Like 2

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

So far 3 MPs have asked the PM about support for theatres in the debate following the PM's statement about reducing the lockdown. His replies were vague,

Now, there's a surprise :(

I'm wondering how much good it is writing to your MP on this when they aren't in government: I don't get the impression mine is likely to be a passionate supporter of the arts, and I'm wondering whether I should keep my powder dry, so to speak, and wait for a more favourable opportunity.  I've already had an exchange with her where it's clear we don't see eye-to-eye on another, unrelated, issue, I'm going to have to write to her about something else shortly, and I don't want to end up being looked at as "not her again!", given that I've rarely if ever written to my MP in the past.

Quite pleased that at today's press conference, visiting a theatre (The Globe, as it happens) was the first activity the PM mentioned of various things he wants to do as future lockdown eases. He stressed that there were ongoing task forces looking at remaining areas such performing arts, about practical measures to get things going again.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Quite pleased that at today's press conference, visiting a theatre (The Globe, as it happens) was the first activity the PM mentioned of various things he wants to do as future lockdown eases. He stressed that there were ongoing task forces looking at remaining areas such performing arts, about practical measures to get things going again.

Shakespeare's Globe and Regent's Park Open Air Theatre (the 2020 main stage seasons of both of these theatres having already been cancelled) would be the most practical venues in terms of a London theatre reopening - given the current circumstances/guidelines.   I too look forward to returning to them when it is ultimately deemed both practical and safe to do so.  [Regent's Park has moved its entire 2020 season to similar dates in 2021.]

Edited by Bruce Wall

26 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Well that's a larf!!!  I've just seen that the Theatre Royal in Plym is probably making 100 people redundant.  At this rate there won't be a theatre left for him to visit!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Well that's a larf!!!  I've just seen that the Theatre Royal in Plym is probably making 100 people redundant.  At this rate there won't be a theatre left for him to visit!

Allison Pearson has mentioned this in her Telegraph article (to be published in tomorrow's paper) and makes the point about the collapse of our cultural life.

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

He stressed that there were ongoing task forces looking at remaining areas such performing arts, about practical measures to get things going again.

So far, no mention by anyone in Govt. of financial help to support those "practical measures".

Don't these people understand about the significance of the performing arts to wider society, mental well-being and other areas of the economy?

Where have they been all their lives? Did no artistic endeavours pass their way and touch their souls? No? Then, clearly the British education system exists in a cultural vacuum.

• Like 6

On the Today Show (BBC) just now (pull through to 07.42 am) Adrian Vinken, Chief Executive of the Theatre Royal Plymouth just said ... (but one quote) ...  'the sheer economics of large scale theatre just doesn't work' (i.e., in the current climate given the practical measures actually announced as of yesterday - such as they are - by the current government).  He makes the point that without rapid cash investment the very frameworks of the national theatrical infrastructures themselves will not survive.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

it is extremely worrying. Many local theatres were in trouble already and we know there has been a great deal of cutting of funding.

Trying to understand yesterday's announcement- is it the case that theatres may now show film, and their cafes and bars re open ( subject to restrictions)?  I am wondering whether this might help just a little bit - bring in some income.

Not that I relish the idea of theatres becoming cinemas (or ROH finally turning into a gigantic Costa Coffee.)

In my region most of the theatres are fairly small and do not have 'live' events every night of the week/month/year. They have already done a mix of live events, screenings of live NT  and ballet productions and cinema films for a number of years. Its not a model that would work for all theatres but may be the way forward for some.

44 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

I was in attendance in a meeting with leading ACE reps yesterday - about which I will say nothing.  That said I think the word 'reportedly' - as employed in the article linked - looms large.  

More practical perhaps ---- from an article in The Stage: - 

English National Opera is planning a socially distanced season of "stripped-back" productions, with every other row empty and audiences spaced with a two-seat gap between them .... Opera-goers will be asked to wear masks and gloves for the duration of their visit to the London Coliseum and will arrive at staggered times through an increased number of entrances, Murphy said.

Edited by Bruce Wall

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Opera-goers will be asked to wear masks and gloves for the duration of their visit to the London Coliseum and will arrive at staggered times through an increased number of entrances, Murphy said.

"Through an increased number of entrances". Mmmmh....! Possible if the sides are opened up, although patrons would need to be able to manage significant flights of stairs wherever they were heading.

In normal use, the Coli's entrance is an absolute nightmare, made worse by the re-positioning of the Box Office and its queues in the main foyer.

Edited to add that I have now written to my MP. It did not take me long. I do hope that everyone else will do the same ahead of tomorrow's debate.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, capybara said:

"Through an increased number of entrances". Mmmmh....! Possible if the sides are opened up, although patrons would need to be able to manage significant flights of stairs wherever they were heading.

The lift provision at the Coliseum is so poor that nearly everyone who normally sits in the upper tiers would see that as nothing new.

(The side entrances would actually mean fewer steps to climb for the balcony, thinking about it, as they are lower than the normal entrances, which are right at the top.)

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

The lift provision at the Coliseum is so poor that nearly everyone who normally sits in the upper tiers would see that as nothing new.

(The side entrances would actually mean fewer steps to climb for the balcony, thinking about it, as they are lower than the normal entrances, which are right at the top.)

It doesn't feel as if people normally use the stairs when one is queueing for the lift!!!!!!!

Good point about there being fewer steps if one is at the front of the Balcony or Upper Circle.

In case of Japan, the doors are slowly opening. 

From June 12th for 8 days, a small performance by Saburo Teshigawara (who was nominated for the NDA this year as best modern male dancer) was held at his own venue in Tokyo, restricting the audience to 30 (half the usual) and with many safety measures. I was very happy to see a live performance first time in 2 and a half months. 

Some orchestras are starting to have concerts this week, mostly with restriction to 100 members in the audience for a 2000 seat venue and change of program.

And the National Ballet of Japan will have a world premiere of "Ryuguu The Turtle Princess" (based on a Japanese folk tale) which is a contemporary ballet for children in July, with reduced capacity. The audience will have to have an empty seat on both sides.  It will be the first performance for the company since their Manon was cut short in the end of February. I am looking forward to take my son for that.

https://www.nntt.jac.go.jp/english/news/all/notice-20200624.html

https://www.nntt.jac.go.jp/english/productions/ballet/ballet-for-children-the-turtle-princess.html

• Like 2

German theatres and concert halls are re-opening slowly, for very reduced audiences, but everywhere in the country. Even before the cinemas. It's easier here because they are funded by the state - staff and artists were still paid during the closure. It would be very hard to get rid of whole theatres and orchestras, they have reliable contracts.

The ballet company at Munich intends to show Swan Lake and Giselle in September. 

• Like 1

I can't tell you how lucky you are in Germany to have the arts decently funded, Angela.  I just hope our Government will step up and meet its responsibilities: after all, it's largely its insistence on our arts organisations becoming so self-sufficient and largely independent of funding which has led to them being in this parlous state when forced to shut down.  If it boils down to a question of supporting them through this period or letting them suffer the hit, with the attendant unemployment, knock-on effect on the economy and lack of tax income, I know which I would choose :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alison said:

I can't tell you how lucky you are in Germany to have the arts decently funded, Angela.  I just hope our Government will step up and meet its responsibilities: after all, it's largely its insistence on our arts organisations becoming so self-sufficient and largely independent of funding which has led to them being in this parlous state when forced to shut down.  If it boils down to a question of supporting them through this period or letting them suffer the hit, with the attendant unemployment, knock-on effect on the economy and lack of tax income, I know which I would choose :(

There is, of course, the fact that the government, desperate in its bid to suck up to the electorate, will happily cut off its nose rather than appear to make any sort of concession to what it sees as 'elitism'. Until as many children want to become musicians and dancers as footballers and reality TV stars, I fear that this will not change. Like so much else, education has to be the key. The 'woke' message was peddled in our schools and hit a wider consciousness remarkably quickly. Let's have the same, please, for the arts which, sadly, continue to be maligned, ridiculed or plain misunderstood.

• Like 5

I can't tell you how sad I am to read all those articles about the British theatres, Alison - I always thought the London theatre scene is absolutely unique in the world and I love to see ten performances in five days - ballets, plays, musical theatre, everything.

I'm sure we will see theatres dying here in Germany too, the smaller venues, the private venues. The financial crisis is only just beginning.

6 hours ago, alison said:

Do you know how they're going to manage financially with such a low ticket percentage, Naomi?

Financially they are not managing at all. The New National Theatre in Japan is consisted of the National Ballet, the Opera (they do not have an orchestra of their own and only the choir are the members) and the Theatre division (which is all guests except the AD and technical staff) as well at the Ballet, Theatre and Opera Academy. All performances were halted for 4 months. Japan is somewhat similar to UK, not enough state funding (they do have a small funding) as Japan's government culture budget is one of the smallest in all major countries.  There are no art council here. The income relies heavily on ticket sales and also some corporate philanthropy funds as well as private donors. (But donation is not common here, not much people here chose donation instead of refunds this time, and the theatre lost millions in Pounds ) 

The National Ballet of Japan holds an annual Ballet for Children series, with very cheap tickets and many of the tickets are sold to schools. This performance receives more public funding than others, so they could afford this. But I doubt they will get any profit from this performance, because of the low ticket percentage. 

And National Ballet of Japan was supposed to open the 2020/21 season with a new production of Peter Wright's Swan Lake as Miyako Yoshida is taking over the leadership, but it became impossible because there are not enough rehearsal time and the repetitors can not enter the country. So Don Quixote will open the season in late October, again with reduced capacity. All subscriptions were cancelled so we had our tickets refunded and have to purchase single tickets. 

There are more serious situation with the Orchestras here,  many of the orchestras are in the brink of closing down, so they are now slowly starting to have performances with altered programs and reduced capacities. There are some emergency funds from the Ministry of Culture but certainly not enough.

From Today's Stage ..

Chairs of theatres and arts organisations from across the UK have signed an open letter urging people to lobby their MPs for support to prevent the sector collapsing, warning “tens of thousands of artistic careers” are at risk.

People who have signed the letter include Margaret Hodge, chair of Theatre Royal Stratford East, English National Opera chair Harry Brunjes, and Damon Buffini, chair of the National Theatre .... 

“It’s not only the West End, the annual pantomime, world-class musicals, dance, opera and Shakespeare – it’s the creative and outreach work happening across the country in our diverse communities, outdoors, in pop-up spaces, at festivals and online,” the letter warns, adding that theatre can play a critical role, “inside and outside the sector, in challenging, educating and informing”.

• Like 1