FionaE

Practicalities of re-opening in Autumn 2020 - or thereafter?

"A priority is the ballet company, who are lacking the facilities to keep fit and supple. “We are keen to get dancers back in the studio as soon as possible,” Beard says. It seems likely that the first artistic activity in the house will be a form of ballet class or exercise conducted under suitable guidelines."

Not a vast amount otherwise, given that much of the article is about Pappano.  There is mention of some sort of gala-y performance somehow involving the opera and the ballet, but they're still working on it.

It may depend on your browser: The Times did something nasty to its website settings a few months ago which means that even shared articles are getting difficult to access.  I realise that I was actually logged into my account when I read it, so that may make a difference.  I must log out of it quickly so I don't accidentally use up my week's allocation on something I don't prioritise.

8 minutes ago, Sim said:

Thanks.  I can find the article, but when I click on the headline, it takes me right back to the cover page.  I can just make out 'one act operas and no intervals.'   Sounds awful and very depressing.  What are they saying about bringing back ballet?

Perhaps understandably, very little about ballet. The writer spoke with Alex Beard and Tony Pappano. There is, of course, concern for the fitness of the dancers but the only 'plan' mentioned might be to have gala-type performances. There are also references to one act shows, reduced audience numbers and expanding the orchestra into the audience.

I had no difficulty bringing up the article from Ian's link above and I am not a Times subscriber.

Of the on-line streams - "“People have been dressing up for their night in, making cocktails in the intervals,” Beard says.

Maybe he reads the Forum?

• Like 1

One-act shows might be all right for the opera - there are some nicely meaty operas in one act which could be run (although of course short-term artist availability could be a problem) - but I can't think of many works in the RB rep which last much more than an hour (Sadler's Wells might be better off in that respect).  I wonder whether the stresses and difficulties of getting into town and back for something that short might outweigh, or at least offset, the perceived benefits of attending?  I'm thinking of various events I decided against going to see at Sadler's Wells because the combined travel time would have been so much more than the time spent watching dancing.  On the other hand, perhaps audience members will be so desperate for live performance when it returns that that will outweigh anything else.

Thanks all.  The way I am feeling at the moment I won’t be going to see anything until things are back to normal, however long it takes.  Having a truncated evening shared with empty seats and no social interaction is not for me I’m afraid.  

• Like 4

Subject to medical advice, I would try to go to, or pay for the live streaming of, offerings from. my favourite companies  on the basis that It would enable them to edge back into life, give dancers their artistic lives back and, let’s be honest, outlive the financial consequences of the  pandemic. I would accept that, initially, we might have one act ballets but, if that is the way forward, I can think of an amazing rep. which could exploits the talent at all levels in a company.

• Like 6

I would happily pay for live streaming.

• Like 1

If social distancing is to remain on public transport with the resulting drop in capacity, it's going to make the time/s and length/s of any performances of rather theoretical relevance to most people since it won't be possible to get to them anyway. At the moment the advice is to only use public transport if essential; that advice would have to change to make theatre-going possible even if/when it re-starts.

• Like 2

Each state in Germany seems to be playing things differently.

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Seems there is hope ...

I didn't notice much in the way of social distancing.  It will be interesting to see if there is a spike in dancers back at work contracting the virus...

Another thought. How will theatres and companies stand with regard to public liability insurance?

50 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I didn't notice much in the way of social distancing.  It will be interesting to see if there is a spike in dancers back at work contracting the virus...

Guess time will tell.  For their sake I so wish them well.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, capybara said:

Each state in Germany seems to be playing things differently.

They start doing it differently because each head of each state wants to be faster/more careful/different, but after two weeks they all do the same.

Seriously: It depends very much on the geographic position, the states in the south had much more Corona cases because people were skiing in Italy and Austria, so politicians in Bavaria tend to be more careful. There were fewer cases in the north, it also depends from town to town. I look to Austria, they are normally one or two weeks ahead of Germany with reopening. They will allow smaller cultural events soon, but on the other hand Bregenz Festival was cancelled today.

It seems to me that the key to any sort of meaningful resumption of performances is that social distancing is to be maintained 'where possible'. It's clearly not possible for dancers to keep their distance from each other to either rehearse or perform. There's a limit to how complete social distancing can be if a group of people get together to watch a performance any distance from their homes. There's a limit to how far social distancing can happen on public transport at least some of the time. If 100% social distancing is to be required at all times (which isn't in fact how it has generally been expressed, hence the fact that the police cannot enforce it) we may as well give up on ballet resuming for the foreseeable future (with all the implications that brings). So I hope that decisions can be taken that are both realistic and responsible. And, of course, both dancers and audiences should only do what they personally find acceptable.

• Like 3

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 11:02, oncnp said:

Of the on-line streams - "“People have been dressing up for their night in, making cocktails in the intervals,” Beard says.

Maybe he reads the Forum?

If so, and for the sake of a more complete picture, he should know that I watched Dust recently in my dressing gown. :D

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, capybara said:

How awful.  Depressing for artist and audience, sterile and for me an experience that I will never have.  😢😢

• Like 2

It isn't how we want it to be.

But perhaps it' s a start?

At least the performers can perform, and I am sure the very small audience would be immensely apreciative.

• Like 1

Maybe there are will be ways forward that  will allow closer spacing .....e.g. with audiences having to wear masks, and performers getting regularly tested, as I believe German footballers are doing. Hopefully the new task force including Tamara Rojo will have some creative ideas.

• Like 7

Thanks for posting MJW.  Let's hope Prince Charles adding his voice helps.

• Like 1

Sorry if this is somewhere else but with elite sport/football training now being allowed for English teams, with no physical distancing restrictions during training, does that mean that dancers may soon be able to train/rehearse together?

23 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Sorry if this is somewhere else but with elite sport/football training now being allowed for English teams, with no physical distancing restrictions during training, does that mean that dancers may soon be able to train/rehearse together?

That would seem logical...but that doesn't necessarily mean that that they will be allowed! 

I think with sport it has been justified because it is out of doors where the risk is considered less.

• Like 1

English Premier League and Championship footballers can do non-contact training in groups of no more than 5 if they have tested negative in the tests that respective organising body have paid for and all the protocols that the organising body have put in place are adhered to. League One and Two players can only train individually with social distancing as there is currently no testing programme for them. 

• Like 1