Practicalities of re-opening in late Spring 2021 (previously Autumn 2020) - or thereafter?

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

A bit out of my price range and not sure about the fit based on the pictures but beautiful and for a good cause...… from the RB Twitter feed

ERDEM has collaborated with The Royal Ballet to create a limited edition Face Mask. 100% of net profits from the Face Masks will be donated to the @RoyalOperaHouse Recovery Campaign that will help performers return to the stage: http://bit.ly/RoyalBalletMask

https://erdem.com/en-us/face-mask-doria-rose-ps21_1377drpx.html

I emailed the ROH shop months ago about masks and they said they were thinking about it. 

I would think this is out of just about everyone's price range, which strikes me as a bit of an own goal. (And yes, the fit looks dodgy too.)

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

A bit out of my price range and not sure about the fit based on the pictures but beautiful and for a good cause...… from the RB Twitter feed

ERDEM has collaborated with The Royal Ballet to create a limited edition Face Mask. 100% of net profits from the Face Masks will be donated to the @RoyalOperaHouse Recovery Campaign that will help performers return to the stage: http://bit.ly/RoyalBalletMask

https://erdem.com/en-us/face-mask-doria-rose-ps21_1377drpx.html

I emailed the ROH shop months ago about masks and they said they were thinking about it. 

How much? 😱

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jane said:

How much? 😱

I'd rather spend the money getting the dancers some decent masks. 😷  

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

For ERDEM's clientele probably not that much and a nice gesture though. 

Exactly this!

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

I would think this is out of just about everyone's price range, which strikes me as a bit of an own goal. (And yes, the fit looks dodgy too.)

Many on this forum would spend £45 either on a single ticket or in a single week's attendance at ROH. Obviously a mask needn't cost that much, but it's a way for the RB faithful to show their support and ERDEM fans to pick up something of his for less than they'd normally have to fork out.

More generally, I'm not crazy about the British tendency to pee all over sincere efforts to raise funds for arts organisations. (Mods: feel free to edit my vulgar metaphor - none other came to mind.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

Exactly this!

Many on this forum would spend £45 either on a single ticket or in a single week's attendance at ROH. Obviously a mask needn't cost that much, but it's a way for the RB faithful to show their support and ERDEM fans to pick up something of his for less than they'd normally have to fork out.

More generally, I'm not crazy about the British tendency to pee all over sincere efforts to raise funds for arts organisations. (Mods: feel free to edit my vulgar metaphor - none other came to mind.)

Given the wording of the announcement, I read this as ERDEM working with the RB to produce a mask; in which case producing something so expensive (even if for fundraising purposes) simply reinforces the image that the RB/ROH is only for rich people. If the impetus is in fact ERDEM selling something to its/his clients to help the RB/ROH, that's fine. It just seems like a missed opportunity to engage the majority of the ROH audience (and maybe others) in fundraising.

5 minutes ago, bridiem said:

It just seems like a missed opportunity to engage the majority of the ROH audience (and maybe others) in fundraising.

Perhaps the ROH shop will offer reasonably priced masks now that they are back in business? I noticed today the "Print On Demand" is "coming soon" (again) so they may be getting back to more normal operations. 

14 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Given the wording of the announcement, I read this as ERDEM working with the RB to produce a mask; in which case producing something so expensive (even if for fundraising purposes) simply reinforces the image that the RB/ROH is only for rich people. If the impetus is in fact ERDEM selling something to its/his clients to help the RB/ROH, that's fine. It just seems like a missed opportunity to engage the majority of the ROH audience (and maybe others) in fundraising.

It is on the ERDEM website rather than the ROH one, which suggests the latter.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jane said:

I’d never heard of Erdem before today. It says net profit donated but doesn’t say how much that is per mask? 

He is a famous Turkish fashion designer, based in London.  He designed the costumes for Corybantic Games a couple of years ago.  I love his dresses but sadly until I win big on the Lottery I won't be wearing one...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

I noticed today the "Print On Demand" is "coming soon" (again) so they may be getting back to more normal operations. 

The Print on Demand is now up with a small selection of what looks like mostly older posters.  

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

The Print on Demand is now up with a small selection of what looks like mostly older posters.  

Ooh this sounds great. Would love it if they also offered some of the gorgeous campaign photography and even some studio photography. No idea what the costs are for them to produce but surely I am not alone?

• Like 2

My first thought was that they could have matched the pattern along the front seam a bit better for £45. Surely that’s why you go designer darling 😉

I think it’s fine, they have some beautiful items in the shop I’ve been wondering for some time who buys the adult peacock head dresses at £175 though! A few years ago they had some miniature ornamental replica tutus. I considered selling a kidney for one of those!

• Like 1

Well I wouldn’t pay £45 for a MASK ...not even to support the ROH but then however nice a gesture it is I wish it was anything but a mask!!! I never want to be reminded of the years 2020-21 by owning this very fancy mask of all things! 
I know it’s a bit curmudgeonly but have an aversion to making masks a fashion item. 

Can not this Company produce a nice Fabric holder for ballet shoes ....or other items of a more general purpose that are not connected to this wretched pandemic. 

16 hours ago, Blossom said:

Ooh this sounds great. Would love it if they also offered some of the gorgeous campaign photography and even some studio photography. No idea what the costs are for them to produce but surely I am not alone?

Yes indeed, and also performance photos....when you think of all the wonderful pictures  they must have of amazing dancers past and present, I wonder why they don't make many more of these available to order. Helping the coffers, and giving us something to spend our ballet budgets on at present.... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Yes indeed, and also performance photos....when you think of all the wonderful pictures  they must have of amazing dancers past and present, I wonder why they don't make many more of these available to order. Helping the coffers, and giving us something to spend our ballet budgets on at present.... 

The performance photos' copyright belongs to the photographer. But the contract they sign, sorta gives ROH control over any non-review (newspaper, magazine, online type reviews) usage (or sales). It becomes complicated!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Well I wouldn’t pay £45 for a MASK ...not even to support the ROH but then however nice a gesture it is I wish it was anything but a mask!!! I never want to be reminded of the years 2020-21 by owning this very fancy mask of all things! 
I know it’s a bit curmudgeonly but have an aversion to making masks a fashion item. 

Can not this Company produce a nice Fabric holder for ballet shoes ....or other items of a more general purpose that are not connected to this wretched pandemic. 

I wouldn't pay £45 for one either. 

I somewhat know what you mean about not wanting to make masks a fashion item.  On the other hand part of me says if I have to wear them, I want to look as good as possible while doing so. 

I have a ballet themed one from redbubble.com.  It's got a silhouette of a barre and a dancer and the caption "Barre Wars Return of the Jete."  It amuses me no end to wear it.  I bought another couple from a friend who has launched a small business making them as I like her fabrics and want to support her.  None of mine cost very much.  

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

The performance photos' copyright belongs to the photographer. But the contract they sign, sorta gives ROH control over any non-review (newspaper, magazine, online type reviews) usage (or sales). It becomes complicated!

Thanks Dave....it does sound complicated, but  could not the ROH agree a % cut for the photographer where he/she retain rights?

Failing that, do you, or other  photographers,  make such photos available to buy? 

Well early on I did buy a couple of really nice double lined masks which are in pretty colours two with swans on a mauve pink background made by a professional tutu maker and another with penguins on a blue background ...the latter a friend made but had the penguins upside down by accident which amused me!! 
But very initially I bought some plain black Bloch ones ( from Just Ballet) and it’s these if I’m not wearing one of the blue disposable common ones that I tend to wear. As I won’t be buying any more disposable ones once the pack I have now is finished I will be forced to wear the more “fashionable items” 

I was very very super careful with masks initially but now as time has gone on and having to put them on and off so much even though keep in little plastic bags I know I’m careless putting them in and getting them out 😳 and instead of thinking of wearing at least three to four a day in more idealistic times  I just change them daily now. I don’t like them to look grubby though which I do see around and about 😩 

Ive just got a resistance still to thinking of them as fashion items. 
I suppose those with a “message” or are at least humorous can be okay. 

24 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Thanks Dave....it does sound complicated, but  could not the ROH agree a % cut for the photographer where he/she retain rights?

Failing that, do you, or other  photographers,  make such photos available to buy? 

The production photographer takes photos FOR the ROH (whilst still maintaining ultimate copyright) and is paid accordingly for their efforts - those are usually the ones we see in programmes, posters, the season books, etc. I suppose if the ROH were inclined they could make some of these photos available for fans to buy prints - but I'm not sure they would have the inclination; the hassle would probably be more than the value they'd gain - no matter how delighted the fans would be. Some of the 'press' photographers have been known to sell prints, but its largely frowned upon (and you'd have to contact them directly). Its a shame really. I can imagine perusing the 'shop' gallery say, selecting a few favourite photos and then at checkout saying whether you want them in calendar or photobook format, and then buying your choice. Unfortunately, there is unlikely to be anyone on the ROH to organise such a gallery, let alone the production of your chosen product (or just a simple print). It would probably work out very expensive too - photographer's cut, ROH cut, publisher's/printer's cut, shop/website cut....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

The production photographer takes photos FOR the ROH (whilst still maintaining ultimate copyright) and is paid accordingly for their efforts - those are usually the ones we see in programmes, posters, the season books, etc. I suppose if the ROH were inclined they could make some of these photos available for fans to buy prints - but I'm not sure they would have the inclination; the hassle would probably be more than the value they'd gain - no matter how delighted the fans would be. Some of the 'press' photographers have been known to sell prints, but its largely frowned upon (and you'd have to contact them directly). Its a shame really. I can imagine perusing the 'shop' gallery say, selecting a few favourite photos and then at checkout saying whether you want them in calendar or photobook format, and then buying your choice. Unfortunately, there is unlikely to be anyone on the ROH to organise such a gallery, let alone the production of your chosen product (or just a simple print). It would probably work out very expensive too - photographer's cut, ROH cut, publisher's/printer's cut, shop/website cut....

I remember that many years ago black and white photos by Leslie E. Spatt used to be sold at Dance Books, relatively inexpensively. That was wonderful!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

'Something I have always wondered about - does the subject get anything? 

15 minutes ago, oncnp said:

no, they are mainly for review purposes - so 'recognition' is about as much as they can hope for.

ROH do postcards/posters etc in the shop - I don't know what the status is with those...

39 minutes ago, oncnp said:

I've often wondered about this too. There is so much thanking the photographer going on on social media but the photographer couldn't have done anything without the subject.

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

'Would agree with contacting the photographer.  I saw a stunning (unofficial - i.e. not ROH) b&w photo of two dancers hands on IG a while back and contacted the photographer. She was happy to sell me a print.