Practicalities of re-opening in Autumn 2020 - or thereafter?

There was a new saliva based test being developed by Southampton University in UK a couple of months ago nearly ready for roll out trial but not heard anything since but this would be great if proves accurate etc

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, MJW said:

(The Telegraph has removed its paywall over this weekend due to the Extinction Rebellion protest yesterday)

You can register and read a couple of articles a month.  That's how we can keep including Telegraph articles in Links.  That is also the case with The Stage, The Times and the FT as well as some American papers.

• Like 1

Yes, but it's good to know that if people want to catch up on articles from the Links pages they've missed (because 2 per month isn't exactly generous) they can binge on them today.  Wonder if the other papers which were hit are doing the same?

• Like 1

Possibly a bit of a shift up a gear from Government? 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/theatre/what-to-see/government-finally-waking-london-will-feel-like-morgue-theatres/

Having been up to London today to a watercolour exhibition at the Mall Galleries I went on a detour round the South Bank Centre up to Covent Garden through Leicester Square and then down to Pall Mall - possibly a bit more traffic than when I last went in July but still so few people about. Not a surprise - but just shows how quiet central London still is.

That is good news but it will be interesting to see how, in the nearer future, the Mariinsky and the Bolshoi get on with their re-openings.  I know that there are some live shows in New Zealand but RNZB have taken the decision to cancel their upcoming tour as the number of C-19 cases is rising.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

That is good news but it will be interesting to see how, in the nearer future, the Mariinsky and the Bolshoi get on with their re-openings.  I know that there are some live shows in New Zealand but RNZB have taken the decision to cancel their upcoming tour as the number of C-19 cases is rising.

Yes -  RNZB had to cancel their tour as the latest lockdown in NZ made it illegal.

Further to my previous post, tickets went on sale at Bath Theatre Royal for the three plays they are staging as part of their reopening, at this point there is no change following recent changes to advise by the government but this is what the seat plan looks like at the moment for a typical day....pleased to see my usual aisle stalls seat is there all on its own🙂

bbv.png

• Like 1

Hmm, not a lot of choice for singletons, is there?  That was what I'd feared - that single seats would have to be given the lowest priority, from a financial point of view.  And presumably you have to buy the entire group of seats if buying anything more.

It does occur to me, though, that if something similar is to happen at, say, the Royal Opera House, a lot of the problems with sightlines due to heads in front of you will disappear.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, alison said:

Hmm, not a lot of choice for singletons, is there?  That was what I'd feared - that single seats would have to be given the lowest priority, from a financial point of view.  And presumably you have to buy the entire group of seats if buying anything more.

As it happens, I bought a couple of cheap singleton seats this morning. The choice seemed pretty good, even after a week of Friends booking.

What you can't see in the picture above is the bench seats at the back of the Grand Circle, which go for £10 (plus £1.75 booking fee for online) and are normally only put on sale on the day of the performance. There appear to be two of these available for each date, and they are currently available online in advance. So from my point of view - speaking as one who would normally wait for these day tickets - it's actually an improvement.

Edited to add: if you're at all interested, please have a look. I think it's a very well put together plan and season that the Theatre Royal has come up with and there's plenty of choice of seats.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, alison said:

It does occur to me, though, that if something similar is to happen at, say, the Royal Opera House, a lot of the problems with sightlines due to heads in front of you will disappear.

Perhaps the ROH would revisit its pricing and whether seats would still be ‘restricted’.

34 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

As it happens, I bought a couple of cheap singleton seats this morning. The choice seemed pretty good, even after a week of Friends booking.

What you can't see in the picture above is the bench seats at the back of the Grand Circle, which go for £10 (plus £1.75 booking fee for online) and are normally only put on sale on the day of the performance. There appear to be two of these available for each date, and they are currently available online in advance. So from my point of view - speaking as one who would normally wait for these day tickets - it's actually an improvement.

Edited to add: if you're at all interested, please have a look. I think it's a very well put together plan and season that the Theatre Royal has come up with and there's plenty of choice of seats.

Hhmm... maybe now is the time for single friends (who know each other ahead of time, of course) to form trusted groups for this purpose? One can be the purchaser & the other(s) reimburse...agreed ahead of time. We all have friends who’ve met at intermissions to chat about the show. 

1 hour ago, alison said:

I wondered that but I have just tried booking one of a group of two seats and it let me even though there were individual seats nearby

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 2

Not possible on the Sadler’s Wells website. The following message is on the site for the BRB performances next month.

This performance adheres to Social Distancing guidelines and seats are allocated in singles and pairs, please note that, a single seat cannot be selected for purchase where it would leave a single seat for sale.

9 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Not possible on the Sadler’s Wells website. The following message is on the site for the BRB performances next month.

This performance adheres to Social Distancing guidelines and seats are allocated in singles and pairs, please note that, a single seat cannot be selected for purchase where it would leave a single seat for sale.

And all the single seats seem to have gone now! 

There were booking problems for SW Members using Chrome as their browser this morning and, with no telephone box office available, the possibility of getting a single seat was disappearing before one's eyes.

Are people able to form theatre ‘bubbles’ in light of the difficulties of booking single seats - I do appreciate that some singles may not be wishing to take such risks?

I don't think we can legally do that, can we?

51 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Thanks, coronavirus.  It took years to stop the SW website doing that, and now we have it back again :(

Yes, but chopping and changing as you please, to go to the theatre?  I'd have thought it was debatable.  As far as I know, a bubble has to have a minimum of one person living alone in it - and by no means everyone who buys single tickets for the theatre qualifies under that definition.

Please do tell me if I'm wrong, someone!

18 minutes ago, alison said:

Yes, but chopping and changing as you please, to go to the theatre?  I'd have thought it was debatable.  As far as I know, a bubble has to have a minimum of one person living alone in it - and by no means everyone who buys single tickets for the theatre qualifies under that definition.

Please do tell me if I'm wrong, someone!

I’d love to be able to confirm one way or other but in all honesty I’m so confused by everything 🤷‍♀️ Every week there seems to be a new rule at work never mind what’s happening out in the real world 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Jane said:

I’d love to be able to confirm one way or other but in all honesty I’m so confused by everything 🤷‍♀️ Every week there seems to be a new rule at work never mind what’s happening out in the real world 

May help (or not) … "Support bubbles must be "exclusive". Once in one, you can't switch and start another with a different household." 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52637354

• Like 1

But if you know your older ballet friends are pretty much not mixing that much at all (especially the ones without children or grandchildren) I would think possibly going with one friend ( to make up a pair) on one occasion and another friend on another occasion shouldn’t be much of a problem. 
Not that I’m planning any theatre visits just yet. Am just venturing up to London to meet up with friends socially  ( not at the same time) for the first time next week!! But  if this sort of theatre arrangement goes on for next six months or more might want to form a couple of pairs. 

A support bubble is a single adult joining with one other household to provide support. You then are considered one ‘household’. You can’t change once you’ve formed the bubble. You can’t go and sit next to someone from another household at the theatre, surely that’s what all the seat plans are there to avoid! 

• Like 1

But surely I can mix with at least one person from another household then? 
Any rules are to help reduce Covid and if I’m meeting this friend socially should I not be able to go to the theatre with them. 
The rules are unfair if families can meet up that is a “granny” can go and see her daughter and family one week and her son and family another? But two individual friends cannot meet? 

I wouldn’t be sitting next to a stranger who I know nothing about!! I assume that’s what the pairings are for so you don’t sit next to someone you don’t know? 

Coronavirus is transmitted just the same whether you know someone or not! If you meet one person socially you need to socially distance, sitting in the next theatre seat isn’t socially distanced. You’d be indoors, very close to each other for a prolonged period. 
support bubbles are solely for those who live alone as those people are isolated and will need some human interaction and help. So in your example if Granny lives alone she could form a bubble with either the son or the daughter (not both on alternate weeks) and they wouldn’t need to distance. If she lives with someone else she could not do that. If son or daughter has a partner and 4 children they wouldn’t all be able to meet at all even outside as the maximum number is 6 (unless they are in a support bubble). So anyone can meet with 5 other people with social distancing. The only exception is people living on their own but personally I think that’s fair as otherwise they would be totally alone! Perhaps rules will change again but for now our numbers are going up because of people bending the rules so really do need to stick to them at the moment

• Like 2

If you live alone or your friend does you could of course form a bubble. However the bubble is exclusive so

Once you’ve done that you can’t form one with anyone else, or change your bubble. So

if you have a theatre going friend who lives nearby and you could also help each other out if you had to isolate etc that could work well. 

So if you're going to form a bubble with someone, probably best to be with someone who goes to similar numbers of performances and likes the same casts, I'd think?

• Like 1