Practicalities of re-opening in late Spring 2021 (previously Autumn 2020) - or thereafter?

35 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Was that the same year Corrales left for the Royal Ballet?

Not really. The October after that group left, Cesar Corrales aggravated an injury during a performance of Khan's Giselle and, fairly shortly afterwards, it was announced that he would be joining the Royal Ballet w.e.f. the 2018/19 season. He performed only twice more with ENB during the 2017/18 season (in Le Jeunne Homme et la Mort). Treatment for that injury kept him off the stage for a large proportion of his first year with the RB.

• Like 1

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Applications for tickets to be in the audience of Strictly have opened. Instead of the usual rows of seats they are having cabaret tables to seat groups of four. You can only apply for a minimum and maximum of four tickets for people of your family/social bubble. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Unlike some extremely wealthy beknighted London theatre owners, seems like Nimax is actually doing something with its theatres; I welcome this news enthusiastically.  Announcement is here.

That is excellent news.  As they point out, their theatres and productions are a lot smaller than those of the other groups, which makes it less difficult for them to operate under the restrictions.  Unfortunately, I only read This is Going to Hurt about 6 weeks ago, so probably don't want to go and see that just yet.  (Warning: it's liable to be rather gynaecological!)

22 hours ago, FionaE said:

SD and masks

At most German theatres you can take the mask off when you are seated. Masks are required everywhere until you sit and the performance starts. I don't know how it was in Munich, they seem to have informed the audience by email about the rules for the specific evenings, but at Berlin and Stuttgart, for example, not mask is required during the performance. At most theatres, performances have no intermission, bars are not open in the theatre. But they play, almost all theatres started with performances.

Zurich Opera House has different rules: they fill the theatre with 900 people, almost to capacity, but the audience must wear masks during the performance. They "outsource" the orchestra and chorus in a rehearsal space in the theatre and add them by broadcasting the sound to the stage, where singers will sing or dancers will dance.

https://www.opernhaus.ch/en/service/coronavirus/

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Angela said:

They "outsource" the orchestra and chorus in a rehearsal space in the theatre and add them by broadcasting the sound to the stage, where singers will sing or dancers will dance.

Goodness - I know we often have off stage musicians but I’d never thought the entire orchestra/chorus would be off stage. I assume the conductor is with the orchestra and an assistant cues singers?

1 hour ago, Oberon said:

Short impressions of Swanlake-rehearsals in a Covid-situation - in the studio and running the whole ballet on stage with orchestra (elevated and extended platform for the musicians sitting in a required distance) at the state-opera in Munich

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFCBm4EA83T/

Agree this is glorious.  We were SO lucky to have all three named dancers with ENB for a time.  It is lovely to see them all move so brilliantly.  

• Like 2

According to the Stage, the Lowry theatre is being turned into a temporary court to raise money.

"The Lowry in Salford is to become a temporary court that will hear criminal cases alongside tribunals, as the venue moves to safeguard its future with additional income.

It has signed a signed a deal with the Ministry of Justice to become a temporary ‘Nightingale Court’, which will begin operating from September 28."

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

According to the Stage, the Lowry theatre is being turned into a temporary court to raise money.

"The Lowry in Salford is to become a temporary court that will hear criminal cases alongside tribunals, as the venue moves to safeguard its future with additional income.

It has signed a signed a deal with the Ministry of Justice to become a temporary ‘Nightingale Court’, which will begin operating from September 28."

There has just been a feature about this on our local TV news.  They will be using the smaller Quays auditorium and 3 other spaces within the complex.  I assume they will be using the Studio Theatre and the gorgeous space they use for weddings.  I'm not sure where the other space will be.  The theatre is reopening with Six at the end of November - in the main Lyric auditorium and obviously with social distancing in place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

There has just been a feature about this on our local TV news.  They will be using the smaller Quays auditorium and 3 other spaces within the complex.  I assume they will be using the Studio Theatre and the gorgeous space they use for weddings.  I'm not sure where the other space will be.  The theatre is reopening with Six at the end of November - in the main Lyric auditorium and obviously with social distancing in place.

Won't be enough to help the staff unfortunately. From BBC

"The Lowry is planning its own job retention scheme after furlough ends at the end of October, under which staff will have the option to stay on in a reduced capacity, working only 20% of their contracts on 20% of their pre-pandemic pay. "

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54236769

Tony Pappano was quoted on the radio this evening as saying that they were hoping to welcome audiences back to the Royal Opera House by the end of the year - although I suspect that he may have been interviewed before today's announcement, and that that may rather have changed the situation.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alison said:

Tony Pappano was quoted on the radio this evening as saying that they were hoping to welcome audiences back to the Royal Opera House by the end of the year - although I suspect that he may have been interviewed before today's announcement, and that that may rather have changed the situation.

I don't think the announcement has changed much for theatres and concert venues.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

I don't think the announcement has changed much for theatres and concert venues.  

Not according to this article which I have just stumbled upon: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/theatre/what-to-see/british-culture-edge-precipice/

To quote the most relevant section:

The bleakest assessment yet has come from the Theatres Trust: “The six-month time frame signals that we will not see theatres being able to fully reopen in the near future.” It predicted more job losses, and “irreversible damage to our cultural landscape”.

Edited by capybara

In a sad sign of our times the Metropolitan Opera has now cancelled the ENTIRETY of its 20/21 Season.  This is the first time in its 137 year history and means that the earliest it will relight is next September.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/23/arts/music/metropolitan-opera-cancels-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

The Met has announced its 2021/22 season today.  “Die Meistersinger” will be conducted by Antonio Pappano, the music director of the Royal Opera in London, returning to the Met for the first time in decades. 

Edited by Bruce Wall

I understand that the Astana Opera House in Kazakhstan will present its opening Ballet Gala tomorrow (Friday), following the Opera Gala last Friday.  The live audience is restricted to 50 persons, but the performances are being streamed live on Kazakh TV.

Tomorrow's gala is being show at 7pm in Astana (2 pm in the UK).  This is the link

https://tengrinews.kz/tv/

• Like 1

Not exactly ballet but a venue that often presents major ballet tours:

Washington DC’s Kennedy Center Opera House will cautiously reopen to live performances tomorrow night, 26 Sept, with a by-invitation-only concert starring vocalists Renee Fleming and Vanessa Williams, plus full KC Opera House orchestra. Online access to this and future concerts through 31 December can be purchased for $15.

https://www.kennedy-center.org/whats-on

A local TV station just showed a piece about this reopening. It will be in the large opera house but there will be about 50 audience members seated on the stage, facing the auditorium. Orchestra and singers will be on a specially-built platform above the orchestra pit and the first 10 rows of stall seats... Audience will enter the stage through the loading-dock doors, where  temperatures will be checked.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

Clarification: Tomorrow’s Kennedy Center Opera House concert will be performed by the two singers and a pianist...not the orchestra. The TV spot said “orchestra will sit above the pit” but the description on the KC website states “pianist.” I still bought the ticket for virtual access. Supporting my local ballet venue. :)

• Like 2

One ‘Theatre’ always open although restricted to locals in lockdown. Here’s ‘Dress Circle’ opposite Napes Needle on Great Gable, with my rucksack bagging my seat (bottom left). Best seats for seeing climbers on top of the Needle or walkers ‘threading the Needle’ - scrambling up one side to the eye and down the other. 

image.jpeg.0f9c2e4a235f01eb208bac7ece99d1ab.jpeg

Better detail from Row D?

image.jpeg.49139a33a16d5f7f727a408d16889e2b.jpeg

• Like 5

A bit out of my price range and not sure about the fit based on the pictures but beautiful and for a good cause...… from the RB Twitter feed

ERDEM has collaborated with The Royal Ballet to create a limited edition Face Mask. 100% of net profits from the Face Masks will be donated to the @RoyalOperaHouse Recovery Campaign that will help performers return to the stage: http://bit.ly/RoyalBalletMask

https://erdem.com/en-us/face-mask-doria-rose-ps21_1377drpx.html

I emailed the ROH shop months ago about masks and they said they were thinking about it. 

Edited by oncnp