Practicalities of re-opening in late Spring 2021 (previously Autumn 2020) - or thereafter?

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, alison said:

It was also on the Links page a few weeks ago.  Believe it or not, there is still ballet and dance news coming through - I think there's only been one completely blank day so far?

Yes, up to now (and apart from that one day) Ian and I have been finding plenty to publish!

• Like 2

Was interested to know who David Ross is which led to a quick scan of the board of the ROH, not exactly a diverse bunch are they 🙄 It’s been mentioned that financial help will be dependent on increasing diversity and equality, let’s hope it is from the top down!

What's On Stage has a round up of theatre openings which have been announced for September and October including socially distanced performances at the Bridge Theatre and National Theatre

https://officiallondontheatre.com/news/government-confirms-indoor-theatre-performances-can-begin-from-15-august/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NL_20_08_16 (1)&spMailingID=43198328&spUserID=NzcxMTkyMzEyNTk2S0&spJobID=1821175645&spReportId=MTgyMTE3NTY0NQS2

They give further details including performances at the Coliseum from 1st December. This appears to include the ENB Nutcracker. 

https://officiallondontheatre.com/news/upcoming-rescheduled-west-end-shows/

Other venues have announced performances from the autumn.  There are some performances at Kings Place where you can choose a ticket in the hall (there won't be many)  or to watch a live stream. An example here

https://www.kingsplace.co.uk/whats-on/classical/the-sixteen-music-for-reflection/

I know it's not theatre or dance but the Crucible in. Sheffield had audiences of around 300 for the last couple of days of the snooker world championship.  Apparently they were in socially distanced groups but they weren't wearing masks.

It will be interesting to see if there is a spike amongst snooker players and audience in the coming weeks.  I didn't watch but apparently people were cheering and whistling.

On 16/08/2020 at 15:42, Jeannette said:

I think I’ll be staying home, baking my own cheesecake and watching ballet DVDs.

VERY off topic - I’ve never had the real thing* (nor even been to the USA!) but I’ve been making this attempt at Junior’s cheesecake for years and everyone loves it.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/nov/24/foodanddrink.baking40

*And such is my ignorance that the recipe above is the only place I’ve seen it mentioned up to now.

9 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

VERY off topic - I’ve never had the real thing* (nor even been to the USA!) but I’ve been making this attempt at Junior’s cheesecake for years and everyone loves it.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/nov/24/foodanddrink.baking40

*And such is my ignorance that the recipe above is the only place I’ve seen it mentioned up to now.

Sorry to carry forth with the off-topic....but thanks, Lizbie. All I can say:  Juniors cheesecake is OUT OF THIS WORLD.  So much so that I was considering using my rail ticket just for this, despite the ballet cancellation. Alas, only the Brooklyn shop is open, just for carry-out. Maybe all Juniors will reopen by the time that NYCB returns to live performing?

Carnegie Deli, near Carnegie Hall was almost as great but they closed 3 yrs ago.

Now I’m quite hungry. :)

Sorry. Back to topic, please.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Getting back on topic - or certainly closer ... sadly just saw this .. 

If the loan money isn't available until December they may not have much left to save. Perhaps that's why the ROH sent a (very belated) thank-you out today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbwctdQqy0o&utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020_Aug_Donation_Thanks&utm_content=version_A&emailsource=51224

I may have this wrong but isn’t the loan fund new and completely separate from the £1.57bn support?

And for my part I rather liked the ‘thank you’ email/video - quite unexpected and good to have so many contributors from management, Opera and Ballet. Whenever I’ve made a donation I’ve always received an appreciative acknowledgement which in my opinion has been more than sufficient.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I may have this wrong but isn’t the loan fund new and completely separate from the £1.57bn support?

And for my part I rather liked the ‘thank you’ email/video - quite unexpected and good to have so many contributors from management, Opera and Ballet. Whenever I’ve made a donation I’ve always received an appreciative acknowledgement which in my opinion has been more than sufficient.

As far as I can make out from the Arts Council there are the Culture Recovery Fund grants which aims to distribute money by October (looks like a maximum of £3m per institution) - total £500m and then the loans which will presumably be available in December.  Whether that all actually totals £1.57bn (or the loans are in addition to that), or whether there is an element of the usual smoke and mirrors, I don't know.

Edited by MJW
amendment

33 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Its all part of the same pot. If you have insomnia its here: https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/funding

It's more the timing that got me - the ROH and other large organizations (who will presumably need > 3M GBP) have said repeatedly  they will be bankrupt "by Autumn".  The increased cost due to the winding up of the furlough scheme may even accelerate that. On the other hand if the reports on another thread are accurate they've just added 5 dancers so the finances at the ROH can't be that bad. 

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Nothing of that kind has come up on my screen - all I can see is the text and that's what I was 'judging'.  Oh dear, I seem to have done the ROH an injustice.

Many thanks MJW and oncnp.
On reading the latest announcement I rather took the reference to the ‘new repayable loan scheme’ too literally. But I see the original announcement did include reference to £270m ‘repayable finance’. Whilst loans are no doubt welcome, it does form a significant part of the £1.57bn (17%) which I hadn’t appreciated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I agree - I liked the thank you. It felt personal and touching to me. I realise I am out of line with a number of people on this forum - but I love pretty much everything about the Royal Opera House and the Royal Ballet - and find what sometimes seems like constant criticism / moaning rather depressing. I like reading  reviews of performances, finding out about what is going on and learning about ballet from people who know a great deal more than me - but I don't like the negativity, which sometimes seems to me to be petty, repetitive and unnecessary.

For the record, I love the fact the beautiful Opera House building is open to everyone, I am thrilled to be able to watch wonderful ballet (and opera) for less than the cheapest seat at my local theatre and fully appreciate the free cast lists, free cloakrooms, plentiful loos and helpful staff. I find the dance programmes varied, stimulating and enjoyable - think Kevin O Hare is an excellent director and the company as a whole just marvellous. The odd time something hasn't been quite right - an overpriced seat with a terrible view  or a dodgy glass of wine - I have had a speedy and satisfactory response to my feedback. During lockdown I  have much very much enjoyed the streamed performances and the live shows - and often watched them more than once. I miss going there enormously - can only imagine how difficult it must be for everyone who works there - and long for the day when the house can open its doors again.

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, capybara said:

Nothing of that kind has come up on my screen - all I can see is the text and that's what I was 'judging'.  Oh dear, I seem to have done the ROH an injustice.

I’m sorry you didn’t get the link capybara - oncnp posted it above if you’ve missed it:

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

If the loan money isn't available until December they may not have much left to save. Perhaps that's why the ROH sent a (very belated) thank-you out today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbwctdQqy0o&utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020_Aug_Donation_Thanks&utm_content=version_A&emailsource=51224

Well, I do have to take back part of my criticism of the ROH's circular 'thank you' because, having sent the message to my gmail account, I have been able to see, and open, the video.

Just wanted to put the record straight on here, at least.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

Noted elsewhere but thought I'd put it here as well … Socially distanced triple bill from BRB 22-24 Oct

The first fruit of a new partnership between Birmingham Royal Ballet and Birmingham Repertory Theatre, this brand-new mixed bill, Lazuli Sky, includes the world premiere performances of Birmingham-born choreographer Will Tuckett's new ballet of the same name, alongside Liebestod, a powerful solo, and Our Waltzes by Venezuelan choreographer Vicente Nebrada.

https://www.brb.org.uk/whats-on/event/lazuli-sky

Edited by oncnp

Just noticed this in the Guardian on line:

“Alex Beard, the chief executive of the Royal Opera House, said the relaxing of social-distancing rules from 3 metres to 2 metres for singers and woodwind and brass players was “a big step forward” that would allow more players to perform together in the theatre’s pit when the company resumes live events with a socially distant audience this October.“
The Guardian piece is about singing/playing instruments softly to help reduce risks but I don’t recall a suggestion that live events would resume in October - have I missed something?
Intrigued by a ‘socially distant’ audience but I assume that’s a Guardian misprint. Doesn’t quite chime with Open Up.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JohnS said:

Just noticed this in the Guardian on line:

“Alex Beard, the chief executive of the Royal Opera House, said the relaxing of social-distancing rules from 3 metres to 2 metres for singers and woodwind and brass players was “a big step forward” that would allow more players to perform together in the theatre’s pit when the company resumes live events with a socially distant audience this October.“
The Guardian piece is about singing/playing instruments softly to help reduce risks but I don’t recall a suggestion that live events would resume in October - have I missed something?
Intrigued by a ‘socially distant’ audience but I assume that’s a Guardian misprint. Doesn’t quite chime with Open Up.

That’s very interesting- I wonder if Alex Beard has jumped the gun on mentioning an October reopening? We shall see!

1 hour ago, MJW said:

That’s very interesting- I wonder if Alex Beard has jumped the gun on mentioning an October reopening? We shall see!

My guess is gala style performances streamed for payment but also with a socially distanced live audience in the theatre.

It is a condition of the grants/loans that organisations demonstrate that they are actively pursuing all avenues to ensure their survival.

• Like 5

At the moment, I think it might be no bad thing to do some encore screenings of operas and ballets.  I've already seen some repeat theatre works scheduled, and arts events have the advantage for the cinemas of bringing in rather more money per seat than standard films do, so there'd be benefits all round, I think.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, alison said:

At the moment, I think it might be no bad thing to do some encore screenings of operas and ballets.  I've already seen some repeat theatre works scheduled, and arts events have the advantage for the cinemas of bringing in rather more money per seat than standard films do, so there'd be benefits all round, I think.

went to see an old film at the cinema last month and I got excited as they had Swan Lake on the trailers. Alas no ballet has materialised! In my mind it would be a good thing for all so I’m not sure if there are problems with screening old recordings. I’ve certainly seen Bolshoi productions at the cinema which have been a couple of years old