Practicalities of re-opening in late Spring 2021 (previously Autumn 2020) - or thereafter?

12 minutes ago, Mary said:

What sort of help, Alison?

The word 'reopening' is nice to see! (though we know it will be in stages)

Its the UK Theatre Audience Confidence Survey. Having completed it, I am not entirely sure how helpful the responses will be for opening up, but we shall see.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, MJW said:

Its the UK Theatre Audience Confidence Survey. Having completed it, I am not entirely sure how helpful the responses will be for opening up, but we shall see.

Please note, this one is actually an ROH-specific one, in conjunction with the Society of London Theatre.  So if you've ignored it, thinking you'd already done it, don't.

7 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything more about Artists preparing to return to the RB for training from Tuesday (July 14th )?

From those I follow on IG, most seem to be on holiday at the moment!

There is a 'digital event' on Thursday with Alex Beard so there might be further news from that.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
3 minutes ago, MJW said:

From those I follow on IG, most seem to be on holiday at the moment!

There is a 'digital event' on Thursday with Alex Beard so there might be further news from that.

Patrons/Benefactors only?

26 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Patrons/Benefactors only?

Quote: "Philanthropists, Sponsors, Supporting and Premium Friends, and Baton Associates".

Unfortunately I will be at work so whether I can listen in on my mobile without annoying anyone I shall have to see !

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, MJW said:

Quote: "Philanthropists, Sponsors, Supporting and Premium Friends, and Baton Associates".

Unfortunately I will be at work so whether I can listen in on my mobile without annoying anyone I shall have to see !

Thanks. They must think (perhaps correctly) the American Friends aren't interested. 

A review of a socially distanced (non-balletic) experience at La Scala:  https://www.gramilano.com/2020/07/the-experience-of-returning-to-a-socially-distanced-la-scala/

Meanwhile ... on the UK front ...

Birmingham Repertory Theatre has announced it is beginning redundancy consultations that could affect up to 40% of staff, due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Despite the announcement of the government’s support package and Arts Council England’s emergency funds, which Birmingham Rep said would “partially mitigate” its losses, the theatre said cost-saving measures would be necessary to ensure the organisation’s future survival amid continued uncertainty about when it could reopen.

“Even after the new measures are taken into account, we believe that survival is threatened if we do not act now. We could still be facing many months of being unable to trade and must therefore take action to mitigate the loss of income by reducing our costs.”

Edited by Bruce Wall

On 12/07/2020 at 14:26, Richard LH said:

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything more about Artists preparing to return to the RB for training from Tuesday (July 14th )?

From what I understand, they are coming back in a staggered fashion, and on a voluntary basis. Small groups, spread throughout the various studios at ROH. And I assume, working on / rehearsing (or even creating?) specific rep, with an eye on future developments.

Perhaps mangagenment have a plan for the rep when they start to return to performances, and the casting for that, so would look to bring in the dancers cast earlier than those  cast for later performances. That sort of thing. I realise this is somewhat conjecture on my part, but until such time as that info 'officially' released (or leaked by the dancers!), we aren't going to know one way or another, no matter how enthusiastic we are in wanting to know! 🙂

• Like 1

The 'voluntary period' for RB dancers is rumoured to be up until the end of August, with everyone expected to be back for the 1st September. This is only 'hearsay' and it would appear from social media that many dancers are still (stuck) abroad.

Meanwhile, after a week of 'voluntary attendance', it seems that ENB dancers will be back in the studio from tomorrow. They have plenty of room to spread themselves, with ?7 large studios. Just as well they moved away from the cramped conditions of their former HQ!

Has anyone heard anything about other companies?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

No, but Northern Ballet returned to work this week.  I've seen a couple of photos on IG stories.  The dancers looked as though they were all wearing masks and socially distanced squares had been marked out on the studio floor.

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Has anyone heard anything about other companies?

Northern Ballet news already higher up thread.  I believe (but nothing official) that BRB dancers are due back in August.

On 10/07/2020 at 16:00, alison said:

Please note, this one is actually an ROH-specific one, in conjunction with the Society of London Theatre.  So if you've ignored it, thinking you'd already done it, don't.

I think the surveys have the same questions but branded to the theatre.

It wasn't the same one as the ENB one I'd had the first time, definitely.  OTOH, I did get one from the Fairfield Halls the other day which was indeed branded but otherwise I think identical.

More UK news .... to put things in perspective ... 

More than 50% of staff at Exeter Northcott Theatre could be at risk of losing their jobs, with 21 roles under threat at Coventry’s Belgrade Theatre and a requirement to cut staff costs by as much as 70% at Tobacco Factory Theatres in Bristol.

Northcott artistic director Daniel Buckroyd said the theatre was unsuccessful in its bid to Arts Council England for emergency funding because it is not in danger of closing before September.

However, Buckroyd said that this, combined with the end of the furlough scheme and the impact of losing 90% of its income, which comes through ticket sales, meant it must look to cut staff.

A cautionary tale of a Ballet Fundraising Gala - in this case The Washington Ballet during a lock down - which led to one of the Trustee hosts, a (non-performing) dancer and the Artistic Director of the Company (Julie Kent) coming down with Covid 19 can be found in The Washington Post here.  

37 minutes ago, alison said:

Earlier today, I received an email from FromtheBoxOffice saying that booking was open for English National Ballet's Nutcracker at the Coliseum this Christmas.

??

See that Rojo's new Raymonda for ENB in January is live and 'bookable' on the Coliseum's website as well ... Time will tell ... Fingers - and all - crossed ... That said it may be prudent to wait a tad to book ... I think I will wait for the casting ... and then make a [masked] dash :) 

Edited by Bruce Wall

Not sure if this was already reported earlier in this thread or elsewhere on Balletcoforum:

The Mariinsky has reopened, as of 7 July, with an abbreviated Stars of the White Nights Festival... including concerts of large-scaled chorus-heavy operas like Il Trovatore. The first all-ballet programs will be three Stars concerts at the Mariinsky II (18-19July...next Sat/Sunday). Hoping that all goes well and the troupe & audiences stay healthy. 

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/news1/2020/7/07_1/

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

Circuses have been given the green light to reopen subject to strict regulations, following a pilot study.

also ... 

Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre has confirmed it will reopen for performances, including a concert staging of Jesus Christ Superstar, later this summer.

Operating at a reduced capacity of 30% to enable social distancing, the venue will become one of the first in London to reopen following lockdown, with plans to stage 70 live performances during August and September.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, alison said:

It sounds positive, but I'm still concerned about the amount of indications that vaccines may only have a short-term effect.  I hope that turns out to be wrong.

I hadn’t heard this but are they thinking it will be short lived like the flu vaccine? 

From the struggling STAGE, 15.07.20 - 

.....  On behalf of freelance dancers, Equity’s dance committee is asking national portfolio organisations to show how they intend to support the art form’s large self-employed workforce, who have been hit hard by the pandemic.

A letter to Arts Council England’s 64 dance NPOs, which include major venues such as Sadler’s Wells and companies including Rambert and Phoenix Dance Theatre, calls on them to "provide reassurance and transparency" on a number of areas such as furthering diversity and developing "more sustainable practices" around working with freelancers.

Among their requests are longer-term engagements and projects lasting more than a year, as well as offering residencies for freelancers.

-----------------------

Urgent clarification on who will be eligible for grants under the government’s £1.57 billion emergency package and when they will be awarded is vital to stave off further redundancies in the sector, BECTU has warned.

The backstage union has written to the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport to seek clarity, warning that organisations are continuing to make redundancies while uncertainty continues.

In the letter, BECTU head Philippa Childs states: “As you know, we have vocally welcomed the announcement of support from the government. However, with redundancies being announced across the sector it is essential that this support get to where it needs to go as soon as possible. I am sure you would agree with me that in order to recover quickly from this pandemic this fund must be used to protect as many creative jobs as possible – but that requires swift action.”

• Like 1

From the struggling STAGE today - 

The Royal Opera House has confirmed it has made its entire roster of casual staff redundant, with plans for further cuts looming, in order to survive Covid-19.

Employees have pleaded with bosses at Covent Garden to save their jobs, however chief executive Alex Beard said that despite announcements of "vital" government funding, "the financial pressures caused by the pandemic are such that significant cost reduction is needed"  ....  The Stage understands that the ROH employs several hundred casual staff across a number of departments, including large numbers on technical teams and in areas such as wardrobe.  Shawn McCrory, who works as a casual stage technician at the ROH, said he had been informed his wages would stop from the end of July, when employers must begin making furlough contributions.

.... Beard told The Stage: "The Royal Opera House has begun the process of restructuring its staff teams. The scale of financial pressure on the ROH, alongside the continued restrictions on our ability to perform to live audiences, has resulted in this very difficult and sad decision. The process has started with a call for voluntary redundancies and the termination of all casual contracts, with a consultation on proposals for changes affecting permanent members of staff due to commence shortly."

---------------------------------

Redundancies are being planned at Andrew Lloyd Webber’s LW Theatres.

The organisation, which operates seven venues including the London Palladium and Theatre Royal Drury Lane, is understood to have contacted staff affected in June, but there have been no redundancies to date.

....  Chief executive Rebecca Kane Burton said: “All around us, the theatre industry is fighting for its survival. The closure of our buildings on March 16 was only the beginning of the profound challenges we now face. The producers of shows running in our theatres have made decisions to close, or delay significantly the return of their productions, and this is having an impact on our business.”

Edited by Bruce Wall

Oh, and another just now in the struggling STAGE ... 

Up to 400 jobs are at risk at the Southbank Centre, as the organisation attempts to “stem the financial losses” it has suffered during the pandemic.

.... The statement added: “The Southbank Centre’s seated venues are likely to remain closed until at least April 2021 due to social distancing and as a result many staff now have no work. The Southbank Centre must implement measures to reduce its cost base and to develop new ways of operating and delivering its artistic programme when it is finally able to reopen.”

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

The Royal Opera House has confirmed it has made its entire roster of casual staff redundant, with plans for further cuts looming, in order to survive Covid-19.

Employees have pleaded with bosses at Covent Garden to save their jobs, however chief executive Alex Beard said that despite announcements of "vital" government funding, "the financial pressures caused by the pandemic are such that significant cost reduction is needed"  ....  The Stage understands that the ROH employs several hundred casual staff across a number of departments, including large numbers on technical teams and in areas such as wardrobe.  Shawn McCrory, who works as a casual stage technician at the ROH, said he had been informed his wages would stop from the end of July, when employers must begin making furlough contributions.

.... Beard told The Stage: "The Royal Opera House has begun the process of restructuring its staff teams. The scale of financial pressure on the ROH, alongside the continued restrictions on our ability to perform to live audiences, has resulted in this very difficult and sad decision. The process has started with a call for voluntary redundancies and the termination of all casual contracts, with a consultation on proposals for changes affecting permanent members of staff due to commence shortly."

---------------------------------

Redundancies are being planned at Andrew Lloyd Webber’s LW Theatres.

The organisation, which operates seven venues including the London Palladium and Theatre Royal Drury Lane, is understood to have contacted staff affected in June, but there have been no redundancies to date.

....  Chief executive Rebecca Kane Burton said: “All around us, the theatre industry is fighting for its survival. The closure of our buildings on March 16 was only the beginning of the profound challenges we now face. The producers of shows running in our theatres have made decisions to close, or delay significantly the return of their productions, and this is having an impact on our business.”

Unfortunately the issue of redundancies was mentioned by Alex Beard in the 'Digital Event' this afternoon.

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

The Stage understands that the ROH employs several hundred casual staff across a number of departments, including large numbers on technical teams and in areas such as wardrobe.  

In terms of numbers.…..From a May 2018 Stage article..... at that time wardrobe employed "100 expert staff, plus 70 more freelances, casuals, apprentices and work-experience students."

30 minutes ago, MJW said:

Unfortunately the issue of redundancies was mentioned by Alex Beard in the 'Digital Event' this afternoon.

But more information should have been provided. As with the first such 'digital event' a few weeks ago, some essential information, which would have emphasised the plight of casual staff  and some permanent employees as well as the overall seriousness of the situation for the ROH, was, in my view, skirted round.