Next September?

paulc

I didn't want to open up a new thread and thought this heading is suitable for my question. 

We have been just told that my DD's school is not opening in September until the government get the covid situation under some sort of control. Borders are shut for my DD to fly back and we do not know when the school opens. She is in her final 3rd year and I just know that home classes are not enough for her.  She has been doing well for all those weeks in my living room i.e classes and some body conditioning but i can not see this going on beyond September. 

She is in London at the moment and I am looking for ideas where I could sign her up to do some sort of normal "vocational" level training? Most schools I researched are only up to 16 years of age.

There were certainly students that joined the third year of sixth form when my Dd was at school. You possibly need to work your way through all the sixth form providers and see if any can offer her the last year of training. 

DanceEurope has a list of vocational schools 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FlexyNexy said:

I didn't want to open up a new thread and thought this heading is suitable for my question. 

We have been just told that my DD's school is not opening in September until the government get the covid situation under some sort of control. Borders are shut for my DD to fly back and we do not know when the school opens. She is in her final 3rd year and I just know that home classes are not enough for her.  She has been doing well for all those weeks in my living room i.e classes and some body conditioning but i can not see this going on beyond September. 

She is in London at the moment and I am looking for ideas where I could sign her up to do some sort of normal "vocational" level training? Most schools I researched are only up to 16 years of age.

I would look at Pineapple (Emma Northmore or another Adv level teacher) if I were you. I'm sure that there are other options though. Good luck ! X

• Like 1

I would say definitely worth getting in touch with Upper Schools in the UK to see if there is a possibility of her completing her training in the UK.

It's possible that there are overseas students who don't want/ are unable to travel to the UK to complete their courses.

• Like 3

I would echo glowlight's suggestion. Also perhaps somewhere like Ballet Cymru for their 1 year course

But in London, no first hand experience of these (well via my DD) but some places to check out that I know her friends (professional performers) have attended between contracts - Pineapple, Danceworks, Dance Attic, Base Studios and The Place. I could not tell you which were for ballet, jazz, contemporary, tap or musical theatre though

• Like 1

Thank you all for your suggestions. I was only aware of Danceworks where she used to do classes when over for holidays. I will definitely investigate other options you have mentioned. Thank you so much, my living room is just too small if we think longer term and it is getting to a point to give it up all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pas de Quatre said:

You say elsewhere she was with Natalia Kremen. Does NK not have older students? If she wants to stay in Russian training, what about Masters of Ballet, or London Russian Ballet School.

I was thinking more like having a day at school where they would cover fitness,  body conditioning,  character,  modern, repertory not just coming for an hour class. All under 1 roof. Something that would equal day at her school. 

Having odd 1 hr class is ok during holidays but thinking being out of school probably until November is making me doubts if that is enough.  

14 hours ago, glowlight said:

I would say definitely worth getting in touch with Upper Schools in the UK to see if there is a possibility of her completing her training in the UK.

It's possible that there are overseas students who don't want/ are unable to travel to the UK to complete their courses.

Great idea from Glowlight....maybe your DD’s current overseas school has links already with a U.K. establishment? Perhaps they could liaise to help your DD do one (or more if needed) term as an ‘exchange’ student. This may well be possible as I’m imagining many are not taking up places as families feel less inclined to have youngsters overseas (either leaving from or coming to U.K.) when there is real risks of additional virus ‘spikes’/local or national lockdowns & return from travel quarantines around the world..... these times are certainly troubling & future changing