Goodmorning Midnight

I don't think there can be copyright rules about names

Janet: That wasn't exactly David Bintley's experience earlier this year when he was forced to ditch those three Olympic adverbs as a title. I suspect the answer here may lie in who has the biggest voice as transmitted by the most expensive lawyers - plus, as a practical matter, who can know every title of every work being produced around the globe? And the answer to that may also lie in having the cash for lots of staff to stay on the lookout for offence.

But I think that was because Locog (or whatever they were called) had copyrighted the specific "slogan" and any variation thereof. I ended up being surprised that BRB were still allowed to call it "Faster"!

There are three well known hit songs all called "The Power of Love" and no-one seems to have bothered about that even though the artistes were well known and on well known record labels at the time of release.

I went to see Good Morning Midnight ( the 7.30 show on Thurs 8th Nov) in the tiny Jermyn Street Theatre ( so small that the loos are just behind the stage which you have to walk across to find).

The late-night atmosphere is conjured by an original jazz score by composer TTJ, plus suitably louche lighting by Phil Hewitt. TTJ ( Tasha Taylor Johnson) writes witty lyrics and has a sensual , slightly throaty voice. The premise is that six characters are awake and it is midnight; they are fizzing with energy and not ready to sleep at all. Drew McConie's innovative choreography is fresh and full of fun. A young and highly talented dancer himself, Drew's choreographic vocabulary is extensive and he brings out the personalities of his six characters. The three ladies were Kirsty Mather, playing a seductress in red lipstick and a red dress, Jaslyn Reader, a cool blonde with the longest legs, and Carrie Johnson, a good time girl with the brightest smile..ready to stay up all night. The men were Simon Hardwick ( also assistant choreographer) planning to party the night away, the gorgeous Henry Davis in (.. and out of !) the sharpest suit ever and the mega-sultry Jonathan Ollivier..showing his balletic talents with some stunning multiple pirouettes whilst igniting the stage with just one look.The modern dance style included classical ballet influences although the dancers had bare feet, there was some complex partnering and lifts. This was a considerable achievement given the postage-stamp sized stage! The show was short but sweet, just one hour of midnight madness!

Edited by Mandy Kent
  • Like 2