RAD exam results

TinyNEDancer

Morning 

I hope everyone is doing ok?

Has anyone heard anything regarding the RAD spring exams? Some of them did go ahead (physically) before they were stopped Mid-March, and I know some ballet schools were able to submit via video. Has anyone heard whether results will be coming through at the start of May, as is usual? Or will the students receive them when life returns to ‘normal’?

I fully realise that it isn’t that significant with everything happening right now, however there are some young ballerinas keen to know (!), so I wondered if anyone knew the answer? ☺️

Thanks so much!  

1 minute ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Morning 

I hope everyone is doing ok?

Has anyone heard anything regarding the RAD spring exams? Some of them did go ahead (physically) before they were stopped Mid-March, and I know some ballet schools were able to submit via video. Has anyone heard whether results will be coming through at the start of May, as is usual? Or will the students receive them when life returns to ‘normal’?

I fully realise that it isn’t that significant with everything happening right now, however there are some young ballerinas keen to know (!), so I wondered if anyone knew the answer? ☺️

Thanks so much!  

Hi. Not sure this will be helpful and how it will affect examination results. 

RAD HQ announced yesterday that they would be closed until September.  😢

1 hour ago, balletbean said:

Hi. Not sure this will be helpful and how it will affect examination results. 

RAD HQ announced yesterday that they would be closed until September.  😢

Ah thank you 😢🙃. That makes sense. I just had a tiny ray of hope when I heard that some schools had received some results... what will be will be I guess. She could just do with a semblance of normal/what life used to be like this week 😌

2 hours ago, Loulou said:

My dd did her adv 2 on 13/ 3 and her school called her with the result on Friday last week.

HTH

Oh that’s also interesting - thank you! Are you in the South, Wales or NI? The results I know of so far have all been in those areas. I hope that it was good news for your DD😊

7 hours ago, Astrid said:

Hello! Sorry to hijack this thread but @balletbean where did you hear about RAD being closed? Do you know if that means summer schools are cancelled?

thanks so much! 

My Niece is a full time student at RAD HQ. She received an email yesterday. 😢. They are all obviously very upset and disappointed. Not only was this was their practical term but they also had LRAD in July. Fully paid for but now cancelled/postponed. I can’t confirm the SS won’t be cancelled but it’s not looking hopeful 

Edited by balletbean

10 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Ah thank you 😢🙃. That makes sense. I just had a tiny ray of hope when I heard that some schools had received some results... what will be will be I guess. She could just do with a semblance of normal/what life used to be like this week 😌

I know that feeling. We are all trying to cling on to some form of faulty, hope and ‘normal’ life whatever that maybe. 
I have a 16yr old who has missed out on his GCSE’s at home until Sept. Now trying to muddle through his A level choices.  

I have a 17yr old NBS (2nd yr) Desperate to return not used to all this down time. Having returned home straight after curtain came down on their show and not quite realising the enormity of the situation at the time left so much stuff (only way to describe it) behind in her room. Just compounds the whole situation. 

Meanwhile I’m trying to remain positive but my tank is running low. 🍷 

Just keep the faith and the wins cellar stocked up. 😉

12 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Oh that’s also interesting - thank you! Are you in the South, Wales or NI? The results I know of so far have all been in those areas. I hope that it was good news for your DD😊

She took the exam in Glasgow, yes she got a distinction which she is extremely happy about, thanks

• Like 1

Wonder what will happen when it all kicks of with the strict exam window will they open it up and just take exams when ever like ISTD do as my son was due to take his in the summer block, be interesting as so many spring exams had to be cancelled 

21 hours ago, balletbean said:

I know that feeling. We are all trying to cling on to some form of faulty, hope and ‘normal’ life whatever that maybe. 
I have a 16yr old who has missed out on his GCSE’s at home until Sept. Now trying to muddle through his A level choices.  

I have a 17yr old NBS (2nd yr) Desperate to return not used to all this down time. Having returned home straight after curtain came down on their show and not quite realising the enormity of the situation at the time left so much stuff (only way to describe it) behind in her room. Just compounds the whole situation. 

Meanwhile I’m trying to remain positive but my tank is running low. 🍷 

Just keep the faith and the wins cellar stocked up. 😉

Balletbean, not sure where you’re located, but careers folk are still working and your son’s school’s careers guidance person should still be available by phone or video link to talk A level

choices. If you are struggling, please pm me - both my husband and I are qualified careers advisers. I am running on the same fuel as you, btw! 🍾

12 hours ago, WrapsnBows said:

Wonder what will happen when it all kicks of with the strict exam window will they open it up and just take exams when ever like ISTD do as my son was due to take his in the summer block, be interesting as so many spring exams had to be cancelled 

I think it is going to be quite challenging for all the examining boards once things get back to normal as there are only so many examiners and there will be lots of schools wanting sessions.  Plus of course many examiners are also teachers and will have their own schools to get going again. That said, I imagine there will be a bit of a delay before the demand for exams hots up, as those who were ready to take them before the lockdown are bound to need some proper lessons to get back up to speed first - there's a limit to what can be achieved online. Plus what would have been the next cohort presumably won't  be ready, so maybe it won't be that bad actually. It might be more be everyone pushed backwards rather than a big bulge in numbers. I am sure all the boards will do their best to get things sorted as soon as they can.

We are beyond the dance exam stage but my son has missed music exams this Spring. He is only a recreational musician so it isn't the end of the world, but I had hoped he would get his grade 8 before he finishes school and that's going to be very difficult now. 

I know these things are trivial in the great scheme of things but it is still disappointing for the young peopls affected. And actually I think one of the things that the lockdown has demonstrated is just how important things like the arts and sports actually are to our well being, both because we realise how much we miss them when they are not there and because people are clearly helped by them in times of stress. All we can do is keep up what practice and tuition is available and hope that things improve soon I guess. It is such an unprecedented situation it is impossible to know what will happen!

We are in the US so not sure if our experience is relevant to those who are in the UK, but my DD luckily took her exam on 3/9, a week before we entered shelter in place, and received her results on 4/13 from her dance studio. They said that the certificates and scorecards will be delayed. 

On 24/04/2020 at 19:57, balletgremlin said:

We're definitely not going to get our school's results next week - the RAD have just emailed saying they've received the videos and will get an examiner to look at them soon.

argh! I hope you don’t have to wait too long!!

On 23/04/2020 at 21:50, Knh said:

We are in the US so not sure if our experience is relevant to those who are in the UK, but my DD luckily took her exam on 3/9, a week before we entered shelter in place, and received her results on 4/13 from her dance studio. They said that the certificates and scorecards will be delayed. 

I think it’s different in the UK, and even regionally across the UK! Really pleased you have your result. I hope you’re all keeping safe and well in the US. 

• Like 1

On 22/04/2020 at 21:50, Pups_mum said:

I think it is going to be quite challenging for all the examining boards once things get back to normal as there are only so many examiners and there will be lots of schools wanting sessions.  Plus of course many examiners are also teachers and will have their own schools to get going again. That said, I imagine there will be a bit of a delay before the demand for exams hots up, as those who were ready to take them before the lockdown are bound to need some proper lessons to get back up to speed first - there's a limit to what can be achieved online. Plus what would have been the next cohort presumably won't  be ready, so maybe it won't be that bad actually. It might be more be everyone pushed backwards rather than a big bulge in numbers. I am sure all the boards will do their best to get things sorted as soon as they can.

We are beyond the dance exam stage but my son has missed music exams this Spring. He is only a recreational musician so it isn't the end of the world, but I had hoped he would get his grade 8 before he finishes school and that's going to be very difficult now. 

I know these things are trivial in the great scheme of things but it is still disappointing for the young peopls affected. And actually I think one of the things that the lockdown has demonstrated is just how important things like the arts and sports actually are to our well being, both because we realise how much we miss them when they are not there and because people are clearly helped by them in times of stress. All we can do is keep up what practice and tuition is available and hope that things improve soon I guess. It is such an unprecedented situation it is impossible to know what will happen!

Yes, that’s all so true. 

It’s such a strange time for everyone. It’s the limbo situation that has the most effect I think. Especially when we’re all used to being so busy and so ‘planned’ with our children and their interests. 

I hope everything works out ok for your children 🤞🏼

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else still waiting for RAD results from the session just before lockdown? Hard to know when we'll hear! DD took her Grade 7 in the last week before they cancelled all the rest of the exam visits... Hope we don't need to wait until September!

2 minutes ago, Katia05 said:

Anyone else still waiting for RAD results from the session just before lockdown? Hard to know when we'll hear! DD took her Grade 7 in the last week before they cancelled all the rest of the exam visits... Hope we don't need to wait until September!

My DD got hers last Wednesday, she took her exam about 3 days before they cancelled them. I hope you get your DDs soon!! 

1 hour ago, TinyNEDancer said:

My DD got hers last Wednesday, she took her exam about 3 days before they cancelled them. I hope you get your DDs soon!! 

Ah that's good to hear! Thank you!

5 hours ago, Katia05 said:

Still waiting here, I think the thought is that we might hear next week! 

On 21/04/2020 at 15:41, Astrid said:

Hello! Sorry to hijack this thread but @balletbean where did you hear about RAD being closed? Do you know if that means summer schools are cancelled?

thanks so much! 

We had students here in Israel who were going on scholarship to the RAD SS but were told it's been cancelled.  Now that may just apply to foreign students because of travel restrictions, but it probably doesn't  if the ballet schools in the UK are not opening.

Results have finally come through. Everyone did much worse than expected, especially performance wise. The girls are all great performers. Maybe it didn't shine through on the camera. None of them got a distinction and even the merits weren't all that high.

1 hour ago, balletgremlin said:

Results have finally come through. Everyone did much worse than expected, especially performance wise. The girls are all great performers. Maybe it didn't shine through on the camera. None of them got a distinction and even the merits weren't all that high.

How disappointing after all the waiting 😢