Tutu Help

petipacat

Help my dd has just been told she is dancing the bread crumb fairy solo in the Cecchetti Ballet comp at covent garden on the 25th november

and needs to get a tutu .

Given the short time we have, do any of you wonderful peeps out there have any bright ideas for me.

many thanks in advance

petipacat

Edited by petipacat

How about this one?

http://www.justballet.co.uk/shop/adult-1/beautiful-lilac-fairy-professional-ballet-tutu-/

Happy to send it for DD to try and you to show teacher - then return if doesn't fit or not suitable? The dancer in the photo is 17, but petite. She does have a large chest though though, so is wearing a strapless bra, which you can see peeking out on the close ups!

• Like 2

Another idea to get an original tutu is to buy a plain one - both plume and intermezzo are available in a number of colours (dance direct) and check out what motifs or fabrics are available from your nearest market/fabric shop. I found some lovely sari fabric with large embroidered flowers with sparkly centres. It was an easy job to cut round them (no fraying edges) and sew onto the skirt of the tutu and one onto the bodice. The result was two unique tutus and it didn't take long.

• Like 3

I wish you'd been around 2 years ago Just Ballet when I needed a tutu for my dd! :-D

I think the ones you stock are absolutely stunning and whilst they are not cheap they are a fraction of the price I paid for my dd's that was custom made in the US.

I think it depends on how prestigious this competition is (it certainly sounds it!) and how much you want to pay. The tutus that I have bought from dance direct only have 4 layers of tulle (compared to 10 layers in my dd's) and in my experience aren't particularly flat or pancake. I'm certainly not creative like 2dancersmum so there may be a way to improve this.

There is another thread on here, sorry I am useless and cannot do links, where people recommend uk based tutu makers so that might be another option for you if there is the time.

Wishing your dd masses of luck, it sounds really exciting! :-)

• Like 2

Where are you based petipacat. If anywhere near Bristol, I am aware that The Russian Ballet School hire out professional costumes and tutus which were used by a ballet company in Russia. The tutus take your breath away. I know they are very reasonably pirced. They also do head wear aswell.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your suggestions ,

I have looked at the dance direct costumes and they are sweet but not up to competition standard ,Primrose the Bristol Russian tutus are spectacular but the logistics of Hiring one and getting it to fit dd is looking tricky as she is away at vocational school .

Just Dance ,thank you for the link your tutus look lovely ,so dd is going to ask her teacher if they are suitable and if they are we will be buying one off you .

I may have to ask about sizing ,but I will see what her teachers say today .

Many thanks lovely ballet people

petipacat x

• Like 1

Pepticstat (sorry if i have the name wrong), if your DD is at vocational school they usually have access to professional tutus?. Do speak with them, if they have suggested or are suggesting she enter this competition, they will have access to tutus. I did notice that when collecting my DD's (year 8 and 9) from vocational school at half term there were older girls leaving school with fabulous tutu's, they were entering the Molly Lake award, so do ask your DD's school, it may save time and trauma! X

Hi Thanks nana lily ,

You would think that the school would provide them ,however they have just told the students to get one .

So today I have surfed the net ,phoned companies and to no avail they all say the same thing 'TWO WEEKS, NO WAY " so am about to see if' just ballet have one in dd size ,

It's enough to drive me to drink ,all this searching lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Just Ballet ,

Thank you so much for all your help .I went up to dd open day (which meant driving up at 5.00am yuck) I have to say I was blown away by the standard of work.

After a long day went back to dd house and she put on the tutu which fitted perfectly ,bless her the look on her face was priceless the blue colour is beautiful .I had to laugh when I got back home she sent me a text saying "jumping up and down in front of a mirror had never been so much fun lol"

So can't wait for the solo on sunday whatever happens she will look stunning .

A hundred thanks again ,your a star x

• Like 7

I have recommended JustBallet to one of my students who needs a new tutu and I am interested in ordering some of the Degas leotards for a trio that I am doing to a piece of music recommended by Spannerandpony! This forum is a great help to us teachers too!! Thanks everyone!

• Like 2

So glad it fits Petipicat!! What a relief after all the hassle you've had getting this far! I hope she takes to the stage feeling fab and full of confidence :) Would love to see photos too!

Thanks for the recommendation FlowerDew, very much appreciated and I'm sure we can sort out a set of pretty Leo's :)

• Like 1

Thank you all ,just got back from comp ,I have to say ursula haglie (not sure if thats the correct spelling ) set a mean but beautiful unset class ,very inspiring .

My heart goes out to ALL the students who took part, from tring ,e.n.b and KS dance ,and Bryony brind ,every one put their heart and soul into it . I always find it very humbling to see these young dancers throw them self's into the occasion . Have to say dd looked lovely in tutu and I was very proud of her .

I raise a glass of wine to all the students who take part in these things and of course their parents who ferry them to and fro for rehearsals ,cheers all

• Like 3

Thank you all ,just got back from comp ,I have to say ursula haglie (not sure if thats the correct spelling ) set a mean but beautiful unset class ,very inspiring .

My heart goes out to ALL the students who took part, from tring ,e.n.b and KS dance ,and Bryony brind ,every one put their heart and soul into it . I always find it very humbling to see these young dancers throw them self's into the occasion . Have to say dd looked lovely in tutu and I was very proud of her .

I raise a glass of wine to all the students who take part in these things and of course their parents who ferry them to and fro for rehearsals ,cheers all

I second this Pepicat. It was a lovely competition. What colour was your DD's tutu if you don't mind me asking?

I thought they were inspiring, hard working and talented dancers and would not have liked to select the winners.

Well done to all that took part.

• Like 1