Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere but San Francisco Ballet are currently uploading a video each week - this week it's Anima Animus choreographed by David Dawson with music by Ezio Bosso - well worth watching, I think it's absolutely sublime (for me it was the highlight of their visit to London last year).

https://www.sfballet.org/sf-ballet-home/

The ballet changes on Fridays (overnight UK time).

The filming is superb (I think because the recordings are for the archives) - the camera only zooms in and out depending on how many dancers are on stage and the shot is always full length - some other directors could take note!

• Like 5

Thanks, charliewise.  If they're doing this regularly, I may convert this into a separate thread which we can keep updated.

20 hours ago, charliewise said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere but San Francisco Ballet are currently uploading a video each week - this week it's Anima Animus choreographed by David Dawson with music by Ezio Bosso - well worth watching, I think it's absolutely sublime (for me it was the highlight of their visit to London last year).

https://www.sfballet.org/sf-ballet-home/

Thank you charliewise I have had a hard week, as I am sure many others have, and this was just what I needed. My donation is winging it's way to them.

I thoroughly enjoyed this. San Francisco Ballet and NY Theatre Ballet seem to be the only USA companies streaming films of  complete ballets during this period...rather than little rehearsal snippets or exercises/classes.

Another SFB Unbound Festival ballet - also you can see an interview about it with the choreographer (Edwaard Liang) here.  

• Like 4

San Francisco Ballet's Romeo and Juliet, choreographed by Helgi Tomasson. Mathilde Froustey as Juliet.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Naomi M said:

San Francisco Ballet's Romeo and Juliet, choreographed by Helgi Tomasson. Mathilde Froustey as Juliet.

And that's in addition to the cinema broadcast with Maria Kochetkova.

Well worth watching the San Francisco streaming. Mathilde Froustey is wonderful as Juliet, her dancing is musical and very expressive, her acting utterly convincing. She was one of my favourite dancers at Paris, I was disappointed when she got permission to move for a period to San Francisco and even more when she later decided not to return to Paris;, but she hadn't been promoted to Etoile and the rep at SFB is fantastic so who can blame her. Helgi Tomasson's production is fairly similar to other versions, but gives the nurse a slightly bigger role.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, SheilaC said:

Well worth watching the San Francisco streaming. Mathilde Froustey is wonderful as Juliet, her dancing is musical and very expressive, her acting utterly convincing. She was one of my favourite dancers at Paris, I was disappointed when she got permission to move for a period to San Francisco and even more when she later decided not to return to Paris;, but she hadn't been promoted to Etoile and the rep at SFB is fantastic so who can blame her. Helgi Tomasson's production is fairly similar to other versions, but gives the nurse a slightly bigger role.

Sheila, Froustey is another favorite we have in common! I, too, loved her performances in Paris (did you by any chance see her DonQ with Alu?), but thought her move to SFB a wise one, as it looked like her career in Paris was stalled..

I thought her Juliet was beautifully etched and danced, and also enjoyed Gennadi Nedvigin's Mercutio and Joe Walsh's Benvolio.

Edited by now voyager
  • Like 2

I will join in with the Froustey fan club. Thought her Juliet was delicious!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Another cast in HT's production of R&J for SFB just shown via Lincoln Center At Home.  This was filmed at the Kennedy Center and featured Kochetkova/Karapetyan

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

Ah, that's the one for the cinema broadcast.

Another SFB work Unbound ... This time a sneaker round by Justin Peck ...

• Like 1

Here is Christopher Wheeldon's Unbound ballet, 'Bound To' .... This was one that was featured in the SFB sojourn at the Well's last year.  

• Like 2

Loved Bound To! In a preview clip, Wheeldon explained that it was his first ballet without ladies in pointe shoes, as he was opting for a grittier realism. Well, Yuan Yuan Tan is an ethereal sylph without pointes! Oh, goodness...what an exquisite ballerina. The most fluid, liquid, pliant, weightless, etc, etc, etc. (sigh) A highlight among the many gems of this COVID streaming season.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeannette said:

Yuan Yuan Tan is an ethereal sylph without pointes! Oh, goodness...what an exquisite ballerina.

Can't possibly disagree with you there! 🙂