San Francisco Ballet streaming

Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere but San Francisco Ballet are currently uploading a video each week - this week it's Anima Animus choreographed by David Dawson with music by Ezio Bosso - well worth watching, I think it's absolutely sublime (for me it was the highlight of their visit to London last year).

https://www.sfballet.org/sf-ballet-home/

The ballet changes on Fridays (overnight UK time).

The filming is superb (I think because the recordings are for the archives) - the camera only zooms in and out depending on how many dancers are on stage and the shot is always full length - some other directors could take note!

• Like 5

20 hours ago, charliewise said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere but San Francisco Ballet are currently uploading a video each week - this week it's Anima Animus choreographed by David Dawson with music by Ezio Bosso - well worth watching, I think it's absolutely sublime (for me it was the highlight of their visit to London last year).

Thank you charliewise I have had a hard week, as I am sure many others have, and this was just what I needed. My donation is winging it's way to them.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Naomi M said:

San Francisco Ballet's Romeo and Juliet, choreographed by Helgi Tomasson. Mathilde Froustey as Juliet.

And that's in addition to the cinema broadcast with Maria Kochetkova.

Well worth watching the San Francisco streaming. Mathilde Froustey is wonderful as Juliet, her dancing is musical and very expressive, her acting utterly convincing. She was one of my favourite dancers at Paris, I was disappointed when she got permission to move for a period to San Francisco and even more when she later decided not to return to Paris;, but she hadn't been promoted to Etoile and the rep at SFB is fantastic so who can blame her. Helgi Tomasson's production is fairly similar to other versions, but gives the nurse a slightly bigger role.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, SheilaC said:

Well worth watching the San Francisco streaming. Mathilde Froustey is wonderful as Juliet, her dancing is musical and very expressive, her acting utterly convincing. She was one of my favourite dancers at Paris, I was disappointed when she got permission to move for a period to San Francisco and even more when she later decided not to return to Paris;, but she hadn't been promoted to Etoile and the rep at SFB is fantastic so who can blame her. Helgi Tomasson's production is fairly similar to other versions, but gives the nurse a slightly bigger role.

Sheila, Froustey is another favorite we have in common! I, too, loved her performances in Paris (did you by any chance see her DonQ with Alu?), but thought her move to SFB a wise one, as it looked like her career in Paris was stalled..

I thought her Juliet was beautifully etched and danced, and also enjoyed Gennadi Nedvigin's Mercutio and Joe Walsh's Benvolio.

Edited by now voyager
  • Like 2

Loved Bound To! In a preview clip, Wheeldon explained that it was his first ballet without ladies in pointe shoes, as he was opting for a grittier realism. Well, Yuan Yuan Tan is an ethereal sylph without pointes! Oh, goodness...what an exquisite ballerina. The most fluid, liquid, pliant, weightless, etc, etc, etc. (sigh) A highlight among the many gems of this COVID streaming season.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Not sure if already posted on a separate ROH webstreams thread: Cathy Marston’s The Cellist on May 29!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi54BRJ05GY

May 29 will be quite a day/night of streams, with this, NYCB, SFB, the start of Lincoln Center dance week, Miami Firebird, etc.

We can add yet another Cathy Marston work to our Virtual Dance Card on May 29, when San Francisco presents her Snowblind, from the 2018 festival.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jeannette said:

For a little something different...

San Francisco Ballet In Arthur Pita’s Bjork Ballet, yet another offering from the 2018 Unbound Festival. They’ve already set-up the YouTube link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=98yI2LT26lw

These usually remain up for a week or so...so June 12-18 or 19.

possibly the weirdest ballet I've ever seen

Here's the link to Arthur Pita's Bjork Ballet - yet another piece in the fascinating fabric that was SFB's Unbound Festival. 

Kindly courtesy of BA a listing  ... 

CASTING

Carmela Mayo, Elizabeth Powell, Dores André

Joseph Walsh, Ulrik Birkkjaer, Luke Ingham

Kamryn Baldwin, Gabriela Gonzalez, Ellen Rose Hummel,
Elizabeth Mateer, Norika Matsuyama, Skyla Schreter,
Miranda Silveira, Ami Yuki

Diego Cruz, Daniel Deivison-Oliveira, Joshua Jack Price,
Nathaniel Remez, Alexander Reneff-Olson, Henry Sidford,
John-Paul Simoens, Hansuke Yamamoto

Björk songs: “Overture”, “All Is Full of Love”, “You’ve Been Flirting Again” “Bachelorette”, “Vokuro”, “Frosti”, “The Gate”, “Hyperballad”, and “Anchor Song”

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

San Francisco Ballet’s complete Jan 2020 Opening Night “Spellbound Gala” premieres today at 1pm est (6pm London) and stays up for just a few hours...not even a whole day. It begins & ends with Balanchine and includes a lot of new choreography in between...with a Corsaire pdd and Grand Pas Classique thrown in for good measure!

link to the Gala on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAoVP6N_o0uhnxMsZiIigcA

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeannette said:

San Francisco Ballet’s complete Jan 2020 Opening Night “Spellbound Gala” premieres today at 1pm est (6pm London) and stays up for just a few hours...not even a whole day. It begins & ends with Balanchine and includes a lot of new choreography in between...with a Corsaire pdd and Grand Pas Classique thrown in for good measure!

link to the Gala on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAoVP6N_o0uhnxMsZiIigcA

Thanks so for letting us know about Spellbound, Jeannette.  If you hadn't I would have missed it ... and it really made my day.  So totally refreshing ... Such a glorious mix of styles and music ... It swept along ... with me in total thrall to those stunning dancers' enchantment ... much as they had me transfixed a year ago at the Wells.  So pleased to see they had a capacity audience at their home base.  So wished they could have had the same here  There is no question but that they totally deserved it.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Indeed, a magnificent gala from San Francisco! Love all dancers but...I just can’t get enough of that Yuan-Yuan Tan...in the special intermission piece by Possokhov, then The Bells on stage...dancing with Vitor Luiz ar his farewell (though not announced here).  Was it really Yuan-Yuan’s 25th anniversary with the company? She must have started at age 5!

6 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Thanks for the heads up! 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another thread in the intriguing SFB output, Guernica.  This one od based around a piece Annabelle Lopez Ochoa did for the Unbound Festival.  Of local interest will be Solomon Golding, an ex-RB dancer (now an ex-SFB one also).  Thought the cinematography employed by Kate Duhamel was quite electrifying.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SsCdMtZwfQ

Edited by Bruce Wall

• 6 months later...

Experts from San Francisco Ballet's Virtual benefit gala.

Hosted by SF Ballet Soloist Madison Keesler, the evening's performance, curated by Artistic Director & Principal Choreographer Helgi Tomasson, features excerpts from newly-captured ballets. In this special selection from Leap into the New Year, enjoy an excerpt from Harmony, a new work by Helgi Tomasson; Principal Dancer Yuan Yuan Tan in Yuri Possokhov's Dedicated To...; Principal Dancers Misa Kuranaga and Angelo Greco in the Pas de Deux from Coppélia; a prelude to Mrs. Robinson (scheduled to be part of SF Ballet's 2022 Season) by Cathy Marston featuring Principal Dancers Sarah Van Patten and Joseph Walsh; and the SF Ballet performance debut of two of the Company's new Principal Dancers, Nikisha Fogo and Julian MacKay in the Act III Pas de Deux from Don Quixote