Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Very much enjoyed the Armide/Sacre streaming last night. My knowledge of it was nil and it took me a while to sort out who was who. Sacre is a highly imaginative version, especially from the point of view of lighting, and I thought the whole ballet was extremely well danced. It has made me even more keen to see Hamburg's Neumeir offerings. I've only seen his Midsummer Night's Dream on stage, so the chance to see more is welcome.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alison , I find their website confusing to say the least. I took out a subscription in December and watch it through my tv via Amazon Fire stick, where it appears as Wiener Staatsoper Live at Home with the www address you give. I think as I subscribe it takes me straight to the calendar page. According to the wiener-staatsoper.at website it looks,as though you may have to register (free). I sympathise - I have been unable to see any of the offerings by the Dutch National,Ballet. I'm on a particularly steep learning curve with all of these wonderful ways of seeing things, but let's hope we get there in the end!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also find the site quite frustrating. 

 

This link is the one that usually works for me https://www.staatsoperlive.com/calendar or https://www.culturall.com/ticket/ists/performance_schedule.mc 

 

It is very user unfriendly and find myself going through several links/redirections to actually view a broadcast! I also found it quite confusing that the video trailer for The Nutcracker on one site actually featuring Raymonda, so I was looking forward to seeing Raymonda and then realised it was The Nutcracker (I thought the title was a bit suspicious, I suppose Raymonda is the same in any language...)! 

 

Whilst I found Sylvia absolutely delightful I got on less well with the Armide/Sacre double bill. I think for Armide part of the problem was I didn't really understand the story/know enough about the characters to really understand it, I wish there was a synopsis somewhere! And for Sacre, I know it is unfair to compare but after seeing Pina Bausch's version this didn't really strike me in the same way, perhaps if it was the first time I was seeing Rite of Spring I would have felt differently (or perhaps not, I had a feeling from Armide that perhaps I am not a big fan of the choreographer to be honest). 

 

I am looking forward to the upcoming Le Corsaire and would gladly see Sylvia again. I also hope that Raymonda becomes available. They seem to have very lavish costumes and sets in Vienna, so it all looks very beautiful, the performances are very high quality. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I found the Vienna Nutcracker interesting when I watched it the other day. I've seen various doublings of roles in different productions but this is the first one I have seen th have Drosselmeyer & the Prince played by the same dancer. I found myself wondering what Freud would make of Clara dreaming about being romanced by a younger version of her elderly godfather! Unfortunately I had what looked like an interlacing issue with the picture for the Nutcracker so movement looked rather odd. I've not had this for any of the other Vienna streams I've watched (over 20 of them) so I don't know why that one had an issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I found the Vienna Nutcracker interesting when I watched it the other day. I've seen various doublings of roles in different productions but this is the first one I have seen th have Drosselmeyer & the Prince played by the same dancer. I found myself wondering what Freud would make of Clara dreaming about being romanced by a younger version of her elderly godfather! Unfortunately I had what looked like an interlacing issue with the picture for the Nutcracker so movement looked rather odd. I've not had this for any of the other Vienna streams I've watched (over 20 of them) so I don't know why that one had an issue.

Particularly like this production and enjoyed it 

Edited by ninamargaret
Clicked the wrong button!
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I found the Vienna Nutcracker interesting when I watched it the other day. I've seen various doublings of roles in different productions but this is the first one I have seen th have Drosselmeyer & the Prince played by the same dancer. I found myself wondering what Freud would make of Clara dreaming about being romanced by a younger version of her elderly godfather! Unfortunately I had what looked like an interlacing issue with the picture for the Nutcracker so movement looked rather odd. I've not had this for any of the other Vienna streams I've watched (over 20 of them) so I don't know why that one had an issue.

Try again! Liked this,production when the Royal did it, but agree there is something a bit creepy about the doubling of Drosselmeyer doubling with the Prince. The Arabian Dance in it was originally,danced,by Alexander Grant and I think was choreographed by Ashton, but I may be wrong. The version in the Vienna production was much changed. And I do love the costumes for the snowflakes! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

Very much enjoyed the Armide/Sacre streaming last night. My knowledge of it was nil and it took me a while to sort out who was who. Sacre is a highly imaginative version, especially from the point of view of lighting, and I thought the whole ballet was extremely well danced. It has made me even more keen to see Hamburg's Neumeir offerings. I've only seen his Midsummer Night's Dream on stage, so the chance to see more is welcome.

 

Well, I've only watched the Armide half so far, and was very taken with it, although I too struggled with the characters - should have paid more attention to the cast list at the beginning, no doubt.  Must admit that I hadn't realised both sides of the bill were Neumeier, though - I was expecting something rather more traditional!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I too thought that Armide would be done sort of 18th century pastiche and was quite surprised when the characters were listed. Must look into it more closely and also watch the DVD of the Hamburg Nijinsky again.I wonder if Neumeier was trying to do a Nijinsky trilogy?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

I too thought that Armide would be done sort of 18th century pastiche and was quite surprised when the characters were listed. Must look into it more closely and also watch the DVD of the Hamburg Nijinsky again.I wonder if Neumeier was trying to do a Nijinsky trilogy?

 

Neumeier is obsessed with Nijinsky and there are more Nijinsky-related ballets in his oeuvre.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

I wonder if Neumeier was trying to do a Nijinsky trilogy?

 

The website for Pavillon d'Armide at Hamburg Ballet says this about the work:

The ballet takes place in the sanatorium "Bellevue" at Kreuzlingen, in the pavilion and park area of the institution and in Alexandre Benois' decoration for the ballet "Le Pavillon d’Armide" - and in the memory and imagination of Vaslaw Nijinsky.

So yes, it's some kind of sequel to his "Nijinsky".

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Angela said:

 

The website for Pavillon d'Armide at Hamburg Ballet says this about the work:

The ballet takes place in the sanatorium "Bellevue" at Kreuzlingen, in the pavilion and park area of the institution and in Alexandre Benois' decoration for the ballet "Le Pavillon d’Armide" - and in the memory and imagination of Vaslaw Nijinsky.

So yes, it's some kind of sequel to his "Nijinsky".

Thank you for this I'll have a look tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

The Vienna State Opera has changed its details:

 

"Starting with the 2020/2021 season, live performances of Wiener Staatsoper will be accessible free of charge at the Wiener Staatsoper website (play.wiener-staatsoper.at) and on updated apps for Apple, Android, and Amazon Fire TV devices."

I assume this applies to the ballet performances as well.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't think what they've done. Logged in without pre a couple of days ago. Tried yesterday and was told my 'credentials' were inaccurate. I've emailed them to find out what's going on. I'm reluctant to spend £15 monthly at this rate, especially as their operatic offerings for 20/21 are not particularly interesting to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

Giselle  from the Vienna State Ballet

 

 

18 January 2021, 13:00

 

Performance of September 28, 2017

Musik: Adolphe Adam

Choreography: Elena Tschernischova after Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot and Marius Petipa

Musical direction: Valery Ovsyanikov

With among others: Nina Poláková, Masayu Kimoto, Rebecca Horner, Andrey Kaydanovskiy, Alice Firenze, Leonardo Basílio, soloists and corps de ballet of the Vienna State Ballet

 

https://play.wiener-staatsoper.at/event/bfed8cc7-f022-4ac1-a082-0e4605b774a4

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

The Vienna State Opera will continue to present recordings from its extensive online archive on play.wiener-staatsoper.at for the next few days:

 

The Vienna State Ballet can be seen tomorrow, Tuesday, February 2, 2020 with Peer Gynt in the choreography by Edward Clug - in the recording from December 2018, dance among others. Jakob Feyferlik, Alice Firenze and Eno Peci.

 

Debussys Pelléas et Mélisande from June 2017 will follow on February 6th, including with Adrian Eröd, Olga Bezsmertna, Simon Keenlyside, Maria Nazarova, Franz-Josef Selig and Bernarda Fink; Conductor: Alain Altinoglu.

 All streams listed below are available free of charge in Austria and internationally on the website play.wiener-staatsoper.at

The start is at 7 p.m., the broadcasts are available for 24 hours.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Giselle from Vienna State Ballet Sat 27 Feb

 

Saturday, February 27, 2021, 7:00 p.m. - Ballet
Adolphe Adam
GISELLE (performance of September 28, 2017).
Conductor: Valery Ovsyanikov
Choreography: Elena Chernishova after Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot and Marius Petipa.
Featuring Performances: Nina Poláková, Masayu Kimoto, soloists and corps de ballet of the Vienna State Ballet

 

 

https://play.wiener-staatsoper.at/

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/02/2021 at 15:49, oncnp said:

Giselle from Vienna State Ballet Sat 27 Feb

 

Saturday, February 27, 2021, 7:00 p.m. - Ballet
Adolphe Adam
GISELLE (performance of September 28, 2017).
Conductor: Valery Ovsyanikov
Choreography: Elena Chernishova after Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot and Marius Petipa.
Featuring Performances: Nina Poláková, Masayu Kimoto, soloists and corps de ballet of the Vienna State Ballet

 

 

https://play.wiener-staatsoper.at/

Just be careful of the time as UK it is GMT  this is probably on at 6pm in the UK not 7.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It shouldn't matter as it's not live. I've watched masses of streams from the Wiener Staatsoper in the last year & the only time I've had a problem was when I was an hour out for the live Rosenkavalier back in December. All the pre-recorded ones you can start watching at any point after 6pm GMT so if anyone starts at 7pm rather than 6pm it'll be just the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Vienna State Ballet - DON QUIXOTE (performance of 28 May 2016).

 

Monday, 8 March 2021, 7.00 pm (CET)

 

Choreography: Rudolf Nureyev

Conductor: Kevin Rhodes

Featuring Performances: Maria Yakovleva, Denys Cherevychko, Ketevan Papava, Roman Lazik, Olga Esina, Corps des ballet of the

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...