I’ve read the article and the author’s principal complaint seems to be that David Ross supported Brexit and votes Tory. Neither is a criminal charge, although interpreting them as that is exactly what you’d expect from a Grauniad paper. What would the response have been if the headline had been in The Times as “Labour donor in charge of the ROH.”

I fail to see how his appointment can be regarded as “a farce.” Nowhere does the author make reference to the fact that a his Nevill Holt Estate he initially supported Wasfi Kani’s Grange Park Opera ‘Young Artists’ Programme and in 2013 setting up Nevill Holt Opera who are described as having “a clear mission to enrich lives, and empower young people through the power of music and the Arts.” In 2018, he opened a new theatre on the site, designed by Witherford Watson Mann, which has won multiple awards including a RIBA National Award. There’s a stunning horse statue in the grounds too (I won’t attach a photo in case it infringes copyright)

It’s just possible that the ROH Board, who may be better informed than many of us on here, or indeed Catherine Bennett, felt that, if nothing else, his combination of artistic experience and proven philanthropy were a good match for the position. 

• Like 10
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the article in The Times when the appointment was originally announced - I think it was in the Links somewhere.  I was a little suspicious at first - it was around the time when a number of appointments which I found somewhat suspect were made - but on reading the full article I decided that it appeared to be an appropriate appointment given his background.

• Like 2
On 23/08/2020 at 13:29, Jan McNulty said:

I suppose that depends on how "visible" he may be.  I took the article as a "jobs and kudos for the boys" type dig at friends and donors getting prestigious positions.  (Let's hear it for the British Museum!!)

Exactly how I read it, It’s not what you know but who. Just look at the number of failed contracts handed out to Tory party donors and friends recently. The old boys network is very much alive and kicking and the problem with it is that it prevents inclusivity. Look at the board of the Opera House, not exactly diverse are they? If we allow people to gain a position because they or their friends are able to donate money that perpetuates the elitism. I’m not naive I realise this is embedded in our country but I can’t say I like or support it.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Peony said:

Exactly how I read it, It’s not what you know but who. Just look at the number of failed contracts handed out to Tory party donors and friends recently. The old boys network is very much alive and kicking and the problem with it is that it prevents inclusivity. Look at the board of the Opera House, not exactly diverse are they? If we allow people to gain a position because they or their friends are able to donate money that perpetuates the elitism. I’m not naive I realise this is embedded in our country but I can’t say I like or support it.

But (like it or not) that's precisely and inevitably what many board appointments in such organisations are for - to bring in and/or attract significant amounts of money.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is correct thread for this but did people get any acknowledgement from the ROH if they donated unused ticket money to them. 
At the time back in April I was initially going to hold in lieu of future performances but when they looked so far ahead into 2021

I decided to let the ticket money go to ROH but it was a considerable sum for me (couple of debuts etc) well over £150 and although I was happy to do it and still am I’m surprised there has been no acknowledgement at all regarding this. 
Have other people found this too or was an email sent etc ...realise it was more difficult back in April with everybody at home etc 

20 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I decided to let the ticket money go to ROH but it was a considerable sum for me (couple of debuts etc) well over £150 and although I was happy to do it and still am I’m surprised there has been no acknowledgement at all regarding this. 
Have other people found this too or was an email sent etc ...

When I made my first donation, it was via the ROH website itself (presumably through the Box Office) and I got several messages of thanks.  By the time I made a second donation, they had started to use another company to handle the donations.  Despite the fact that I was asked to provide my Friends of CG membership number, no acknowledgement was sent and I found this disappointing. 

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

When I made my first donation, it was via the ROH website itself (presumably through the Box Office) and I got several messages of thanks.  By the time I made a second donation, they had started to use another company to handle the donations.  Despite the fact that I was asked to provide my Friends of CG membership number, no acknowledgement was sent and I found this disappointing. 

Not just disappointing, a missed opportunity: I remember getting a nice hand written card after making a small donation to a small museum. I was so impressed I doubled my donation, and I imagine others would have done likewise.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

I think that's not just disappointing, it's dreadful.

On the other hand, I emailed the Friends of the ROH the other day about my membership including confirming that I was happy to renew this month, and within a few hours I received a very nice email back thanking me for my support.

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Not sure if this is correct thread for this but did people get any acknowledgement from the ROH if they donated unused ticket money to them. 
At the time back in April I was initially going to hold in lieu of future performances but when they looked so far ahead into 2021

Have other people found this too or was an email sent etc ...realise it was more difficult back in April with everybody at home etc 

Just checked and yes I got an acknowledgment from Georgie Barrie of the Fundraising Campaign for my donation of tickets in May. I gave a cash donation in June and had an acknowledgement via a "donation receipt". 

Clearly if some people didn't receive anything, that is very poor.

17 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

I received a hand written card of thanks from the Chief Executive of BRB

That's a lovely idea but I wouldn't want to think that donations, for example LinnMM's £150, were spent on postage for thank you cards 😆

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Rob S said:

That's a lovely idea but I wouldn't want to think that donations, for example LinnMM's £150, were spent on postage for thank you cards 😆

Oh dear. Sorry I mentioned it. Seems the Ballet companies can’t win

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Rob S said:

But my point was that this outlay generates more money as it makes people more inclined to donate again.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 5

I had an email recently from the ROH thanking me for a donation. I have no idea whether they were referring to the ticket refunds partially I waived in April, or the ones ditto in June, or the renewal of Friends' membership in July. Whichever it was, it was a rather late thank you!

I got an email thanking me for the donation- I preferred to give a financial donation so that it could be Gift aided. ENB also sent me an email. But BRB rang me and Vail Dance not only emailed me but sent me a letter. So ROH doesn't compare well.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

I didn’t donate any tickets but did make a separate donation and renewed my Friends membership in April.  I received a thank-you letter from KOH and a personal email thanking me for renewing.

Goodness BBB! You must be one mighty significant donor 🤣 😉

• Like 1