I missed Sleeping Beauty (a combination of spending my “ballet money” on two Onegins then being ill for the cinema relay) so was delighted to see this cast being streamed.  What a performance by Fumi Kaneko, especially standing in for Lauren Cuthbertson.  Fumi didn’t make me as ridiculously weepy as Yasmine Naghdi, who just IS Aurora and makes me cry almost from her first entrance, but she really was terrific all the same and I was absolutely thrilled for her.  

Bonelli really pulled out all the stops, his acting is always glorious but he danced beautifully too, with lovely lines, great stamina and good height to his allegro.  What a lovely, supportive, noble partner he is in the pdds.  I thought he and Fumi were lovely together. 

I loved the fairy variations and it was lovely to see Romany Pajdak being given a fairy as well as Red Riding Hood.  My only gripe, and it’s nothing personal, was giving a First Artist Lilac for a live stream.  I’ve seen Gina Storm-Jensen in the role before and she struggled with it technically as she did again this time - that’s not a deal breaker for me as even First Soloists can have off days and slips, especially in Sleeping Beauty, BUT if they have the stage presence and acting experience then it doesn’t matter too much.  Unfortunately, for me, Storm-Jensen doesn’t, especially when compared to Claire Calvert.  There was no power, no real presence, nothing to suggest that she could overcome Kristen McNally’s wonderfully evil Carabosse.  Lilac is a pivotal role and she needs to be played by someone who can stand out among all the other big characters onstage - not physically, necessarily, as I saw a young Nuñez play Lilac beautifully and she’s not statuesque by any means.  I really think that for cinema relays which could potentially be released as DVDs, Lilac needs to be a First Soloist or even Principal...

...speaking of which, Naghdi and Ball almost stole the show for me.  Utter perfection. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Anna C said:

nothing to suggest that she could overcome Kristen McNally’s wonderfully evil Carabosse. 

That's why she needs a wand 🙂

• Like 2

If I recall correctly, Storm-Jensen wasn’t supposed to be dancing the Lilac Fairy - Kaneko was, but as she had been bumped up to dance Aurora - as it were - it fell to Storm-Jensen.

I agree that she didn’t have the presence but there was a lot to enjoy. She looked lovely - has an elegance that goes with her height, with lovely clear moments.

I believe they were a bit short on Lilac Fairies, but I was surprised that someone like Calvert wasn't given the role.  Was it perhaps that S-J was on hand anyway because she was cast as something else but Calvert wasn't?  (And I can't remember which other Lilacs I may be missing).

• Like 1

I think there were a number of injuries at the time which rather cut the number of Lilac Fairies on the roster

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, alison said:

I believe they were a bit short on Lilac Fairies, but I was surprised that someone like Calvert wasn't given the role.  Was it perhaps that S-J was on hand anyway because she was cast as something else but Calvert wasn't?  (And I can't remember which other Lilacs I may be missing).

Claire Calvert was Fairy of the Woodland Glade

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 2

Gina was Lilac Fairy the day before too 

Remember that Kaneko replaced Cuthbertson who danced that casts first performance with Calvert as the Lilac Fairy and Hamilton as the Woodland Glade Fairy. Come the second performance, the reshuffle mid performance meant that Storm-Jensen took over the Lilac Fairy and the cameras were recording albeit as a camera rehearsal. 

Posted (edited)

There must have been a shortage of Lilac Fairies as I believe Gina performed this role 6 times in the run...when most Auroras had 2 or 3 performances each.  Interesting!  

Twice each with Akane Takada and Anna Rose O’Sullivan and then two consecutive nights at the end of the run ... 15/1 Nuñez and 16/1 Kaneko cinema screening.

I know Claire Calvert and Mayara Magri performed Lilac in this run.  There must have been others?

By the way, is there somewhere on ROH website to check cast lists for recent past performances?

Edited by FionaE
Typo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, FionaE said:

There must have been a shortage of Lilac Fairies as I believe Gina performed this role 6 times in the run...when most Auroras had 2 or 3 performances each.  Interesting!  

Twice each with Akane Takada and Anna Rose O’Sullivan and then two consecutive nights at the end of the run ... 15/1 Nuñez and 16/1 Kaneko cinema screening.

I know Claire Calvert and Mayara Magri performed Lilac in this run.  There must have been others?

By the way, is there somewhere on ROH website to check cast lists for recent past performances?

The performance database in ROH collections ends in 2012 as far as I can see

10 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

The performance database in ROH collections ends in 2012 as far as I can see

yes, irritating isn’t it !!!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

By my count there were 5 Lilacs in the last run of Sleeping Beauty: Storm-Jensen, Kaneko, Calvert, Mendizabal, and Magri making her debut. There were two dancers who performed in 2016/17 but did not this time: Stix-Brunell and Heap. I believe both were indisposed. I think Laura McCulloch also danced the role in 2016/17 but has since retired.

I liked Storm-Jensen in the theatre and on screen. I thought she conveyed a serene benevolence. Not flustered by Carabosse, even when the other fairies were nervous, and never in doubt about her ability to overpower the curse. Yes she was a bit detached, but she is a fairy so, to my mind, not engaged with the action on a human level, merely an observer and thwarter of inconvenient miscreants!

I admit that this was undermined a little by a sometimes shaky execution of the steps, but I can forgive her this. I don’t think I’ve seen the variation performed perfectly and I’m sure she wasn’t helped by the interminably slow pace of the music.

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Gina Storm-Jensen is not only capable - lovely 3ple pirouette in the midst of the renverses - but has vavoom Ginger Rogers glamour. She reminds me of gorgeous Olga Yesina, ex-Mariinsky soloist, now Vienna Staatsballett principal.  

In all, a wonderful SB. Fumi Kaneko was born to dance Aurora! So glad to have had the chance to see her...to see everyone. Five stars! ️ 

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

On right now, Darcey Bussell, Yasmine Naghdi and Charlotte MacMillan, interviewed by Kristen McNally, discuss Kenneth MacMillan's Romeo and Juliet, followed by an audience question and answer session.

Edited by Janite

Posted (edited)

I’m sure the Moderators will advise if I’’m writing inappropriately, but is Fumi Kaneko the most sheerly glamorous ballerina (apart from possibly Tierney Heap) that the Royal Ballet has had since Deirdre Eyden? She’s a ravishingly charismatic dancer of musical and technical abundance but she radiates that something else that is extraordinary to behold. 

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I’m sure the Moderators will advise if I’’m writing inappropriately, but is Fumi Kaneko the most sheerly glamorous ballerina (apart from possibly Tierney Heap) that the Royal Ballet has had since Deirdre Eyden? She’s a ravishingly charismatic dancer of musical and technical abundance but she radiates that something else that is extraordinary to behold. 

Of course, it’s in the eye of the beholder but I happen to agree with you. It’s not just her beauty (God-given features) but, more importantly, how she uses eyes and the rest to emit a sparkling quality (Fonteyn had this, too) that comes across as sincere. It is rehearsed...they are pros, after all. But it doesn’t come across as fake.

I happen to feel the same about the ageless Roberto Bolle, among the guys. 😍

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 2

I finally caught up with Sleeping Beauty last night.

I will state from the outset that this is in no way my favourite production (that is SPW's for BRB) but I loved the performances.  

Fumi Kaneko is just sublime as Aurora, she has a joyous  and radiant presence.  Federico Bonelli is elegance personified and a wonderfully generous partner.  Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball were terrific as the Bluebirds.

So an evening well spent!

• Like 5

Yes, I managed to finish it off last night, too - very enjoyable performance, especially under the difficult conditions of (presumably) no rehearsal.  It's still on, presumably until 7 pm this evening, UK time.  Since there doesn't seem to be anything else forthcoming from that source now, make the most of it!

• Like 2

Hmm, didn't exactly advertise that one, did they?  Or did I miss out?  But beyond that I think there's nothing.  Not surprising, I suppose, since the House was supposed to be "dark" anyway.

9 hours ago, alison said:

Hmm, didn't exactly advertise that one, did they?  Or did I miss out?  

It’s been all over social media.

The ROH now needs to reveal its plans and come up with a programme to demonstrate its leading place in the performing arts of this country as well as to bring in revenue.

Streamed gala-style programmes with not only pay to view but a small audience in the ROH as well?

Alternative venues including ‘pop-ups’?

Rehearsal streamings (pay to view)?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

It’s been all over social media.

Which is fine for those who are on there.  I didn't get the usual "streaming" email from them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, alison said:

Which is fine for those who are on there.  I didn't get the usual "streaming" email from them.

I frequently don't get their e-mails but got this one. Weird. One would think there would be a standardized list. 

1 hour ago, alison said:

Which is fine for those who are on there.  

I’d say that’s your problem and one that is easily fixed.

It’s also the first item on the ROH website.