20 minutes ago, FionaE said:

There must have been a shortage of Lilac Fairies as I believe Gina performed this role 6 times in the run...when most Auroras had 2 or 3 performances each.  Interesting!  

Twice each with Akane Takada and Anna Rose O’Sullivan and then two consecutive nights at the end of the run ... 15/1 Nuñez and 16/1 Kaneko cinema screening.

I know Claire Calvert and Mayara Magri performed Lilac in this run.  There must have been others?

By the way, is there somewhere on ROH website to check cast lists for recent past performances?

The performance database in ROH collections ends in 2012 as far as I can see

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By my count there were 5 Lilacs in the last run of Sleeping Beauty: Storm-Jensen, Kaneko, Calvert, Mendizabal, and Magri making her debut. There were two dancers who performed in 2016/17 but did not this time: Stix-Brunell and Heap. I believe both were indisposed. I think Laura McCulloch also danced the role in 2016/17 but has since retired.

I liked Storm-Jensen in the theatre and on screen. I thought she conveyed a serene benevolence. Not flustered by Carabosse, even when the other fairies were nervous, and never in doubt about her ability to overpower the curse. Yes she was a bit detached, but she is a fairy so, to my mind, not engaged with the action on a human level, merely an observer and thwarter of inconvenient miscreants!

I admit that this was undermined a little by a sometimes shaky execution of the steps, but I can forgive her this. I don’t think I’ve seen the variation performed perfectly and I’m sure she wasn’t helped by the interminably slow pace of the music.

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 1

Gina Storm-Jensen is not only capable - lovely 3ple pirouette in the midst of the renverses - but has vavoom Ginger Rogers glamour. She reminds me of gorgeous Olga Yesina, ex-Mariinsky soloist, now Vienna Staatsballett principal.  

In all, a wonderful SB. Fumi Kaneko was born to dance Aurora! So glad to have had the chance to see her...to see everyone. Five stars! ️ 

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 6

On right now, Darcey Bussell, Yasmine Naghdi and Charlotte MacMillan, interviewed by Kristen McNally, discuss Kenneth MacMillan's Romeo and Juliet, followed by an audience question and answer session.

Edited by Janite

I’m sure the Moderators will advise if I’’m writing inappropriately, but is Fumi Kaneko the most sheerly glamorous ballerina (apart from possibly Tierney Heap) that the Royal Ballet has had since Deirdre Eyden? She’s a ravishingly charismatic dancer of musical and technical abundance but she radiates that something else that is extraordinary to behold. 

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I’m sure the Moderators will advise if I’’m writing inappropriately, but is Fumi Kaneko the most sheerly glamorous ballerina (apart from possibly Tierney Heap) that the Royal Ballet has had since Deirdre Eyden? She’s a ravishingly charismatic dancer of musical and technical abundance but she radiates that something else that is extraordinary to behold. 

Of course, it’s in the eye of the beholder but I happen to agree with you. It’s not just her beauty (God-given features) but, more importantly, how she uses eyes and the rest to emit a sparkling quality (Fonteyn had this, too) that comes across as sincere. It is rehearsed...they are pros, after all. But it doesn’t come across as fake.

I happen to feel the same about the ageless Roberto Bolle, among the guys. 😍

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 3

I finally caught up with Sleeping Beauty last night.

I will state from the outset that this is in no way my favourite production (that is SPW's for BRB) but I loved the performances.  

Fumi Kaneko is just sublime as Aurora, she has a joyous  and radiant presence.  Federico Bonelli is elegance personified and a wonderfully generous partner.  Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball were terrific as the Bluebirds.

So an evening well spent!

• Like 5

Yes, I managed to finish it off last night, too - very enjoyable performance, especially under the difficult conditions of (presumably) no rehearsal.  It's still on, presumably until 7 pm this evening, UK time.  Since there doesn't seem to be anything else forthcoming from that source now, make the most of it!

• Like 2

Hmm, didn't exactly advertise that one, did they?  Or did I miss out?  But beyond that I think there's nothing.  Not surprising, I suppose, since the House was supposed to be "dark" anyway.

The ROH now needs to reveal its plans and come up with a programme to demonstrate its leading place in the performing arts of this country as well as to bring in revenue.

Streamed gala-style programmes with not only pay to view but a small audience in the ROH as well?

Alternative venues including ‘pop-ups’?

Rehearsal streamings (pay to view)?

• Like 3

Guest oncnp
12 minutes ago, alison said:

Which is fine for those who are on there.  I didn't get the usual "streaming" email from them.

I frequently don't get their e-mails but got this one. Weird. One would think there would be a standardized list. 

• 2 weeks later...

It may be that I should have started a new topic for this but there's an article in today's Observer (page 41) that concerns me: 'A Tory donor in charge of the Royal Opera House?' (David Ross's appointment as Chair- apparently over George Osborne, another contender). Some Forum members may feel it's overly political but the content of the article raises some important issues, not least the implications for the perception of ROH as elitist (apparently David Ross has a gold Land Rover! and fixed Boris Johnson's Caribbean hideaway at the new year), contrasting his perspective with Tony Pappano's international views. It also refers to ROH Friends' allocation of seats for Kaufmann and the Open Up project.

The article includes a photo of Peter and the Wolf.

Perhaps the article could be included in tomorrow's Links?

I read the article and I’m not quite sure what the charge is, other than that the ROH might become less reliant on Arts Council money, and that he is too vulgar for the columnist’s taste.

Not that my opinion matters any more the columnist’s: he’s quite possibly not my cup of tea either, but if his appointment leads to rich people emptying their pockets at a very difficult time for the arts and the economy, I can’t see the problem. As for the perception of ROH as elitist - is there a serious risk of many first timers Googling the chairman?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

As for the perception of ROH as elitist - is there a serious risk of many first timers Googling the chairman?

I suppose that depends on how "visible" he may be.  I took the article as a "jobs and kudos for the boys" type dig at friends and donors getting prestigious positions.  (Let's hear it for the British Museum!!)

• Like 1

The previous Chair, Ian Taylor, who has recently died, was a major benefactor of the ROH, most publicly in terms of his family’s sponsorship of the Schools Matinees.

These kinds of ‘figurehead appointments’ and the money they bring with them are part and parcel of the cash-strapped arts scene. It would surely only be a matter of concern if such people sought undue artistic influence. In this case, there is the Royal Ballets Board which must be the buffer which prevents any such thing occurring.

• Like 6

I’ve read the article and the author’s principal complaint seems to be that David Ross supported Brexit and votes Tory. Neither is a criminal charge, although interpreting them as that is exactly what you’d expect from a Grauniad paper. What would the response have been if the headline had been in The Times as “Labour donor in charge of the ROH.”

I fail to see how his appointment can be regarded as “a farce.” Nowhere does the author make reference to the fact that a his Nevill Holt Estate he initially supported Wasfi Kani’s Grange Park Opera ‘Young Artists’ Programme and in 2013 setting up Nevill Holt Opera who are described as having “a clear mission to enrich lives, and empower young people through the power of music and the Arts.” In 2018, he opened a new theatre on the site, designed by Witherford Watson Mann, which has won multiple awards including a RIBA National Award. There’s a stunning horse statue in the grounds too (I won’t attach a photo in case it infringes copyright)

It’s just possible that the ROH Board, who may be better informed than many of us on here, or indeed Catherine Bennett, felt that, if nothing else, his combination of artistic experience and proven philanthropy were a good match for the position. 

• Like 10

I read the article in The Times when the appointment was originally announced - I think it was in the Links somewhere.  I was a little suspicious at first - it was around the time when a number of appointments which I found somewhat suspect were made - but on reading the full article I decided that it appeared to be an appropriate appointment given his background.

• Like 2

On 23/08/2020 at 13:29, Jan McNulty said:

I suppose that depends on how "visible" he may be.  I took the article as a "jobs and kudos for the boys" type dig at friends and donors getting prestigious positions.  (Let's hear it for the British Museum!!)

Exactly how I read it, It’s not what you know but who. Just look at the number of failed contracts handed out to Tory party donors and friends recently. The old boys network is very much alive and kicking and the problem with it is that it prevents inclusivity. Look at the board of the Opera House, not exactly diverse are they? If we allow people to gain a position because they or their friends are able to donate money that perpetuates the elitism. I’m not naive I realise this is embedded in our country but I can’t say I like or support it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Peony said:

Exactly how I read it, It’s not what you know but who. Just look at the number of failed contracts handed out to Tory party donors and friends recently. The old boys network is very much alive and kicking and the problem with it is that it prevents inclusivity. Look at the board of the Opera House, not exactly diverse are they? If we allow people to gain a position because they or their friends are able to donate money that perpetuates the elitism. I’m not naive I realise this is embedded in our country but I can’t say I like or support it.

But (like it or not) that's precisely and inevitably what many board appointments in such organisations are for - to bring in and/or attract significant amounts of money.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is correct thread for this but did people get any acknowledgement from the ROH if they donated unused ticket money to them. 
At the time back in April I was initially going to hold in lieu of future performances but when they looked so far ahead into 2021

I decided to let the ticket money go to ROH but it was a considerable sum for me (couple of debuts etc) well over £150 and although I was happy to do it and still am I’m surprised there has been no acknowledgement at all regarding this. 
Have other people found this too or was an email sent etc ...realise it was more difficult back in April with everybody at home etc 

20 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I decided to let the ticket money go to ROH but it was a considerable sum for me (couple of debuts etc) well over £150 and although I was happy to do it and still am I’m surprised there has been no acknowledgement at all regarding this. 
Have other people found this too or was an email sent etc ...

When I made my first donation, it was via the ROH website itself (presumably through the Box Office) and I got several messages of thanks.  By the time I made a second donation, they had started to use another company to handle the donations.  Despite the fact that I was asked to provide my Friends of CG membership number, no acknowledgement was sent and I found this disappointing. 

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

When I made my first donation, it was via the ROH website itself (presumably through the Box Office) and I got several messages of thanks.  By the time I made a second donation, they had started to use another company to handle the donations.  Despite the fact that I was asked to provide my Friends of CG membership number, no acknowledgement was sent and I found this disappointing. 

Not just disappointing, a missed opportunity: I remember getting a nice hand written card after making a small donation to a small museum. I was so impressed I doubled my donation, and I imagine others would have done likewise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

I think that's not just disappointing, it's dreadful.

On the other hand, I emailed the Friends of the ROH the other day about my membership including confirming that I was happy to renew this month, and within a few hours I received a very nice email back thanking me for my support.

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Not sure if this is correct thread for this but did people get any acknowledgement from the ROH if they donated unused ticket money to them. 
At the time back in April I was initially going to hold in lieu of future performances but when they looked so far ahead into 2021

Have other people found this too or was an email sent etc ...realise it was more difficult back in April with everybody at home etc 

Just checked and yes I got an acknowledgment from Georgie Barrie of the Fundraising Campaign for my donation of tickets in May. I gave a cash donation in June and had an acknowledgement via a "donation receipt". 

Clearly if some people didn't receive anything, that is very poor.