Adult Ballet

Cloud

Hi there! I feel a bit awkward posting this but I just can't really seem to get many answers about this on my own...especially since the whole COVID situation there aren't any studios open haha. Basically, I am 19 years old soon to be 20 and I want to get back into ballet. I was in it for 2 years as a young child but couldn't continue. I just wanted to know if it's possible for adults to train for pointe, and what are the oppourtunities for adult ballerinas. I know that I'll never be professional or anything but I would love to do it to perform if I get good enough. I can take as much help and advice as possible 😅

• Like 3

Hello Cloud and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not a dancer but yes it is possible.  We've got a lot of people on this Forum who have either started from scratch as adults or who have gone back to ballet as adults.

I've added a tag at the top of your thread (adult ballet) and if you click on that you will find lots of previous threads to look through.  You will find lots of information in them.  Here's one to start you off:

• Like 2

If you're looking to get started while stuck in quarantine, please note that David Kierce has moved his regular classes online.  They cost £7 and are at the same times as his usual Absolute Beginner and Beginner/Improver classes at Central School of Ballet.

https://www.beginneradultballet.com/online-classes-1

I asked about the format of the class (bearing in mind I often attend his classes in person, but live in a small flat and obviously don't have sprung flooring or anything) and he said it's a barre and some stretching, and he's teaching from the corner of a tiny studio flat!

Bennet Gartside has also been streaming live free classes on the Everybody Ballet instagram page.  Again, it's barre and stretching and assumes you don't have space for anything else.

These things can easily be done in socks on a hard surface; bare feet and/or carpets would make it trickier.

I realize there's already a thread about online classes, but thought I'd post this here as it's basically an absolute-beginner-specific question.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RuthE said:

If you're looking to get started while stuck in quarantine, please note that David Kierce has moved his regular classes online.  They cost £7 and are at the same times as his usual Absolute Beginner and Beginner/Improver classes at Central School of Ballet.

https://www.beginneradultballet.com/online-classes-1

I asked about the format of the class (bearing in mind I often attend his classes in person, but live in a small flat and obviously don't have sprung flooring or anything) and he said it's a barre and some stretching, and he's teaching from the corner of a tiny studio flat!

Bennet Gartside has also been streaming live free classes on the Everybody Ballet instagram page.  Again, it's barre and stretching and assumes you don't have space for anything else.

These things can easily be done in socks on a hard surface; bare feet and/or carpets would make it trickier.

I realize there's already a thread about online classes, but thought I'd post this here as it's basically an absolute-beginner-specific question.

I like Bennet Gartside's beginner class via Instagram at 1pm on Wednesday.  He also does paid for Zoom classes.  I find the Instagram one is slightly easier and more accessible.  The zoom ones are good for a beginner but I personally struggle with the rather long fondu exercise he keeps setting.  It's definitely barre, a short adage, port de bras and stretching.  

I'll definitely try the David Kierce one on Sunday as that's a really good time for me and I've been interested to try his classes.  Thanks @RuthE

• Like 1

Yes, I did Bennet's class last Wednesday - though I won't be doing it today because I have to dial into a work meeting.  I need to rearrange my space somehow so I've got room for developpes and grands battements in close proximity to something fixed that's barre height...

There are loads of dancers doing online classes at the moment, but both of these are experienced at teaching adult beginners, therefore should be a reliable and safe place to start.

• Like 4

Hi Cloud. My advice is to absolutely go for it and at 19, you have years ahead of you so enjoy it and have fun. Obviously tricky during the current situation but online classes might be good to get you started although if you can find someone that will do a private class via Zoom etc so they can watch and give you corrections that might also work well. Once things get back to normal though, definitely find a class and enjoy. I did ballet when I was younger and then went back to about 4 years ago in my early 40s and have loved every second. I got my first pair of pointe shoes year before last (under the watchful eye of my teacher) and can confirm it is possible to do this for the first time as an adult although maybe a bit more difficult as adults don't tend to be as brave as younger people with things like that! Slow but steady progress though! :) I have even been in a couple of shows with my dance school which has been loads of fun! I hope you find a good teacher who gives you all the opportunities you are looking for but above all that you enjoy it. Best of luck x

• Like 3

On 01/04/2020 at 01:13, Cloud said:

I just wanted to know if it's possible for adults to train for pointe, and what are the oppourtunities for adult ballerinas.

As you've seen there are lots of options via streamed barres at the moment.

BUT -- My advice would be that you don't start now, in following along classes where there is expert teaching, but no correction, because the teacher can't see you. Although you did ballet asa child, it's a whole different physical proposition as a 19/20 year old, almost adult. You need expert eyes on you, and expert correction so you don't fall into bad habits now at the start of beginning again. 

What I'd recommend is that you do lots of conditioning - get fit & strong via online fitness and Pilates classes, or yoga etc, or go outside running (use the Couch to 5k app to get started). 

That way, when we're out the other side (whatever sort of world we step back into) you're ready to go to live physical classes.

Pointe work might come, but it might not. You need to be doing around 3 classes a week for strength, and have control over your turn out. I've seen some terrible adult pointe work - people who really shouldn't be on pointe for both physical safety and aesthetic reasons! There's enough to learn for at least 3 or 4 years in terms of learning the repertoire of steps and combinations, getting solid double pirouettes, and a good sense of control in the centre. 

To find classes, there are several threads - try searching the tag "adult ballet"

In England, it's easier if you live within commuting distance from London, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle or Leeds; in Scotland, Edinburgh or Glasgow. It's harder outside the big cities, but the knowledge of Balletco members is astounding!

Good luck, and let's hope we can all be physically together in our studios soon.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Kate_N said:

BUT -- My advice would be that you don't start now, in following along classes where there is expert teaching, but no correction, because the teacher can't see you. Although you did ballet asa child, it's a whole different physical proposition as a 19/20 year old, almost adult. You need expert eyes on you, and expert correction so you don't fall into bad habits now at the start of beginning again. 

I believe some of the Zoom-based, paid-for classes with limited numbers are interactive with corrections, though I agree it would be no substitute for a hands-on correction.

• Like 2

Yes, RuthE, you're right. I'm doing paid-for classes with Nina Thilas-Mohs via Zoom. But I've done her classes regularly (although not as frequently as I could wish) over the last few years, so I know her teaching style, and she knows what I need to work on.

I think starting right now, with unfamiliar teachers, might be hard. And not necessarily productive.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RuthE said:

I believe some of the Zoom-based, paid-for classes with limited numbers are interactive with corrections, though I agree it would be no substitute for a hands-on correction.

I've done zoom classes with teachers i haven;t taken class with  before, but   they are people who I have mutuals with and have conversed at  length with ...  and  it;s   as well as classes with   teachers i regularly take class with ( becasue  another of my regular teachers  has not yet got set up for interactive classes)

I think Kate  is  right to be  somewhat guarded and reserved as to whether this is the time to be starting  / begining a returner;s  journey 

• Like 2

Definitely possible, I only started dancing late in middle life!

Just some of my observations doing what I do; not judgements, rather choices I have made. Classical ballet seems to have a strong pedagogy tailored to exams and performance perhaps more so than social dancing. I like the discipline and work ethic ballet offers. It has a focus on certain things and techniques.

There are more relaxed options but I'm not sure with a ballet context. Historical dance (Scottish, Regency, Playford, Baroque etc) is perhaps more focused on the social aspet of dance with technical rigour more flexible from teacher to teacher. Different horses for courses? Me? I want both!

Edited by Alexander
Spelling

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve very much stuck to classes and teachers I know for Zoom classes and at the moment could do a class everyday if I wanted to as they’ve all got Zoom going now! 
I’ve been doing two local classes in Brighton and two in London and even two mini workshops 

I’ve also got into gyrotronics/ gyrokinesis classes ....taught by one of the regular attendees of one of London ballet classes and really loving them! 
So am busy six days a week with classes 4 of them ballet.... doing much more than usually do although of course it’s difficult to get a real full grand allegro in which I would not be able to do anyway at the moment but very much appreciate the opportunity to keep classes going in some form. 
I haven’t really had time to do any of the Youtube/ Facebook type classes on offer but I quite like the more personal interactive Zoom classes...we even get corrections! 
Still can’t wait to get back to a class in a studio which is increasingly looking like September now. 

• Like 1

On 25/04/2020 at 15:18, LinMM said:

I’ve very much stuck to classes and teachers I know for Zoom classes and at the moment could do a class everyday if I wanted to as they’ve all got Zoom going now! 
I’ve been doing two local classes in Brighton and two in London and even two mini workshops 

I’ve also got into gyrotronics/ gyrokinesis classes ....taught by one of the regular attendees of one of London ballet classes and really loving them! 
So am busy six days a week with classes 4 of them ballet.... doing much more than usually do although of course it’s difficult to get a real full grand allegro in which I would not be able to do anyway at the moment but very much appreciate the opportunity to keep classes going in some form. 
I haven’t really had time to do any of the Youtube/ Facebook type classes on offer but I quite like the more personal interactive Zoom classes...we even get corrections! 
Still can’t wait to get back to a class in a studio which is increasingly looking like September now. 

I so miss being able to do the grand allegro type moves.  I want to be able to jump and pirouette and do a really good adage.  I can't wait to be back in studios.  

That said I am enjoying the classes I can do as much as possible and like you I also prefer the zoom classes because they feel more interactive.  

I'd agree that it's important to be cautious with choosing teachers for online classes especially if you don't know them.  I take the zoom classes with Bennet Gartside which I find very good online and I do a very basic class on a Saturday morning with my tango instructor who is a retired ballet dancer and does a gentle ballet for tango class.  I'd be cautious about doing ballet with anyone I didn't know at this stage. Like @LinMM I am supplementing this with other dance forms that I enjoy.   

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Getting back to the original post, there are certainly various performing opportunities around the country, depending on where you are based.  Chelsea Ballet is one in London (I assume that's still going).  I think there's one in or around Cambridge, and I'm sure there are many others.

14 hours ago, alison said:

Getting back to the original post, there are certainly various performing opportunities around the country, depending on where you are based.  Chelsea Ballet is one in London (I assume that's still going).  I think there's one in or around Cambridge, and I'm sure there are many others.

There are a variety of performing options  some more  active  than others ,  although of course  the current situation has put paid to much of it and   the wooly  guidance on  the current lockdown  has  put paid to stuff becasue it;s not clear  exactly what does constitute Education ( plus IDTA  have advised their  registered teachers  that outside of schools and colleges only  Exams can take place )  also the thr whole thing of rehearsals  are only for pros at present 

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...