LIVE EVENT THREAD - BalletcoForum's virtual event 'A Night At The Ballet' on NOW!

Welcome to Balletcoforum’s first virtual…
Night At The Ballet
-- LIVE EVENT THREAD --

Hello everyone! So lovely to see you. Glad you could join us at the Your Living Room Theatre for the opening night of our virtual trip to the theatre! 

This is for us all to still have a ‘night out’ during these strange times in which we find ourselves. I’ll be getting dressed up for the theatre and I encourage you to do the same, but just enjoy the evening, that’s the important bit. :)

Here’s how the evening will go…

Running order:

6.30pm - The ‘House Opens’ / A glass of wine in the bar 

Welcome!

Make yourself a nice glass of something and enjoy the fact you don’t have to pay £9 for it. Then hop on here and say hello to your fellow virtual theatre-goers! 

Why not post a selfie of yourselves and post it so we can all see who we’re spending the evening with? Let’s talk about the weather, how much easier it is to park than [insert your usual venue] and how much we’re looking forward to seeing [I’ll come to that in a moment]. As this evening exists to provide some escape from the tricky times we’re facing, the only topic that is strictly off-limits is anything related to Covid-19. An usher will sternly ush you if you stray into that topic!

7.30pm - The show begins

Now the house lights are going down (you'll have to operate the light switch yourself, I'm afraid). There’s a reminder to turn off your phone (which you should heed, as well as closing your laptop, shutting down your iPad, etc), along with the inevitable announcement that the principal you specifically aimed to see is being replaced at the last minute. The conductor has assumedly walked in because everyone is clapping for no apparent reason and you can’t see the orchestra. You get yourself comfortable in your seat ready to watch… 

Wait, what are we watching again?

Well, here’s the beauty of it. We can all watch different things! As long as we’re watching ballet, we can pick what we like. Here are some options:

Whatever you watch, turn down the lights and enjoy! 

Then, at a suitable point…

8.30pm (ish) - Interval!

Time for a quick comfort break, a top up of your glass. Why not share a photo of your interval ice cream? Give yourself a few minutes to hop back on the official thread and share your thoughts on Act 1, perhaps, and see how everyone else is getting on (bearing in mind we’ll likely be back in the bar at different times). Then it's time for...

8.50pm (ish) - Act 2! 

Enjoy the rest of your performance!

9.45pm (ish) - The after show

We’ll all meet back ‘in the bar’ to chat about what we’ve just seen, wax lyrical how much we loved/didn’t love it, how nice it is not to have to have to clap for quite that long, queue at the cloakroom or find a taxi in the rain... Then it’s air kisses - mwah! - all round and if it’s a success we start planning the next one!

Enjoy your evening! 

A QUICK NOTE ABOUT POSTING PHOTOS: There is a limit to the size of photos on here (which zxDaveM has kindly increased for us). If your photo is too big, please do post it elsewhere online (Flickr, Instagram, etc.) and share the link, or use one of the photo shrinkers online.  

(Tagging @Lucinda @KyleCheng @SMballet  @Richard LH  @LinMM @Don Q Fan  @CCL @Shade  @Rob S  @greypuss  @bridiem  @Toria  @toursenlair  @AnneMarriott  @alison  @Lizbie1@Odyssey who liked the invitation thread)

Edited by BristolBillyBob
  • Like 4

Raising a glass to all Ballet Forum members as we await the opening of the ROH  auditorium for La Bayadere: looking forward to  a wonderful cast that includes Nunez, Osipova, Muntagirov, Whitehead, Avis,Campbell, Choe, Naghdi and Takada.

Cheers.jpg.85a3ff1d55317dc1b70b4df8fb3d0132.jpg...hoping everyone is keeping well and in good spirits..!

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Oops I posted on your first thread....

No worries. I'm presuming you have company, or are both of those glasses for you? :)  Now I'm imagining you've ordered ahead for the interval! 😄

Oops, for some reason I thought this was starting at 7 pm, so have already started watching.  Possibly just as well since mine's 3 acts.  I've only just got back from Waitrose and have been hosing down all the groceries (well, you know what I mean :) ), and since Someone Else wants the telly I've been banished to the kitchen with the laptop.  Since I'm a bit short on finalised ballet DVDs (the first one I picked up was Frankenstein - no thanks!) I've actually got the 2001 RB Nureyev Don Quixote with Tamara Rojo and Johan Kobborg on the player - as I'm busy trying to get myself a meal as well I didn't want something I wanted to watch seriously.  Picture quality is poor - I only had a VHS at the time, and later transferred it onto DVD - so don't ask me who the supporting dancers are!

Enjoy your evening, all!  Oops, I've just missed Kitri's first entrance ...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, alison said:

Oops, for some reason I thought this was starting at 7 pm, so have already started watching.  Possibly just as well since mine's 3 acts.  I've only just got back from Waitrose and have been hosing down all the groceries (well, you know what I mean :) ), and since Someone Else wants the telly I've been banished to the kitchen with the laptop.  Since I'm a bit short on finalised ballet DVDs (the first one I picked up was Frankenstein - no thanks!) I've actually got the 2001 RB Nureyev Don Quixote with Tamara Rojo and Johan Kobborg on the player - as I'm busy trying to get myself a meal as well I didn't want something I wanted to watch seriously.  Picture quality is poor - I only had a VHS at the time, and later transferred it onto DVD - so don't ask me who the supporting dancers are!

Enjoy your evening, all!

The most important thing is you have a lovely time. Have a great evening, Alison, and let us know how the ballet was if you get a minute later! :)

Interval ice cream for me too! A simple vanilla with chocolate sauce. :)

Alice's Adventures... is quite a show! What a demanding role the title character is; I think Lauren's on stage for almost every single minute, there's very little let-up. She absolutely owns every second, though. Incredible performance. 

• Like 2

I'm afraid I got distracted on the way to the theatre - I found myself in a nearby cinema watching Noose for a Lady, a 1953 black and white whodunnit. Very stagey and dated, but reasonably entertaining. I'm enjoying hearing about your night at the ballet. Hope to see some good curtain call photos in due course. 😀

• Like 1

My goodness, Rojo's fouettés in the final pas de deux: I'd forgotten just how stunning they were - and combined with her precision timing of the flicking open and closed of the fan - quite something.  And a very young Marianela Nunez as the Street Dancer, an even younger Alina Cojocaru gorgeous as Amour, Zenaida Yanowsky as Queen of the Dryads and Laura Morera as the bridesmaid - it was a pretty starry cast!  (Will Tuckett as Don Q, Philip Mosley as Sancho Panza, Luke Heydon as Gamache and the much-missed David Drew as Lorenzo)  I won't credit everybody, because I think there were some discrepancies between what Deborah Bull said on the commentary and the credits.

• Like 2

So I will say outright that I am not Steven McRae's biggest fan but WOW!!!

I chose to watch Mayerling after seeing others commenting favourably about his interpretation of Rudolf and I am so glad I made this choice.

For me, it's the most complete performance I have ever seen him give (not that I have seen him lots).  I have enjoyed his technical expertise but never really thought him an actor of enough depth to do the role of Rudolf justice.  How wrong I was!  His performance was a beautifully nuanced interpretation of a man brought up in a dissolute atmosphere, craving the attention and love of his mother and becoming ever more desperate.  I thought he was wonderful in the role.

In fact I thought the whole cast was top notch with everyone on stage totally involved in the performance.  Laura Morera, of course, was outstanding and so was Sarah Lamb.  The final duet between Lamb and McRae was incredibly intense and I teared up at the end (which I have to say I never have before at Mayerling).

I admired the way the performance had been filmed and the close-ups, particularly of McRae, Lamb and Morera showed both the subtlety and power of their acting.  

I thoroughly enjoyed my evening at the ballet and I would like to thank BBB2 for suggesting it.  Are we on for the same time next week?

• Like 9

Well, Alice has completed her voyage into Wonderland for the evening, and what a lovely evening it was. Absolutely sublime performances by Lauren Cuthbertson (upon whom I think the role was created?), Laura Morera and Federico Bonelli. The third act, during which I was relieved to see Lauren got to have a break, has some terrific moments in it, not least the Queen of Hearts' shenanigans. In places I worry that the production occasionally takes precedence over the dancing, but in the sections where the dancing is allowed to shine free of stagecraft it absolutely shines. I'll save fuller comments for a time tomorrow when I've had less wine - it's jolly nice to just grab a top-up mid show! - but it's been really lovely to have a 'night out', and I hope you've enjoyed yours too! Let me know how your shows went! :D 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I thoroughly enjoyed my evening at the ballet and I would like to thank BBB2 for suggesting it.  Are we on for the same time next week?

Really glad you enjoyed it, me too! I have plans for next Saturday, believe it or not - more of a virtual club night though! - but perhaps another evening? Or, of course, you are all welcome to go ahead without me now I've set the ball rolling. 1984 next, but @Rob S has whetted my appetite for another Onegin - I do love the drama of that one..!

• Like 1

From Beth: Here's my first review as a novice ballet fan (courtesy of my boyfriend Alex (BristolBillyBob) who introduced me to this world a few years back)
I've seen plenty of ballets now, but Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was one of my favourites (despite being on screen tonight rather than on the stage). I loved so many things about it:

1. The diversity and range of dance, moves, shapes and styles. It was a relief not just to see endless chorus scenes and pas de deux, but rather I felt I got to see the whole spectrum of what ballet has to offer. (Including a bit of tap from the Mad Hatter which was excellent!) 

2. I loved Lauren Cuthbertson and Federico Bonelli and the way they danced together. It was like they were made for each other. They're both so effortless and light and fun in the way they move. Plus huge respect to Lauren who hardly stopped dancing throughout. She must have been absolutely knackered. Very well done! 

3. The narrative was brilliant and came through so well in the dance. It was fast paced and interesting, clear and exciting. I felt that it portrayed Lewis Carol's novel so well.

Also, what a great night, when we're all stuck at home, to get dressed up, drink some wine, watch some ballet and know that there are other people out there doing the same xx

• Like 6