Broadcasts from the Astana Opera Ballet - Kazakh TV and YouTube

Astana Opera Ballet have now posted online the second performance (15 February 2020) of Raimondo Rebeck's "Beethoven, Immortality, Love" with the second cast -

Daler Zaparov as Beethoven, Mariko Kitamura as Immortal Love, Gaukhar Ussina as Euterpe (Inspiration) and Serik Nakyspekov as Deafness.

The ballet is in two acts and six sections

BEETHOVEN, IMMORTALITY, LOVE (Raimondo Rebeck) - synopsis

The rolling credits give a detailed synopsis in Kazakh, then Russian and finally English.  They roll rather fast, so I have transcribed them in the attachment here, which you can also use to follow during the performance.

Incidentally a presidential decree in October 2017 ordered that the Kazakh language be transitioned from Cyrillic script to Latin script, to be completed by 2025.  This is to aid communication of the Kazakh language in the digital world.

Beethoven synopsis.docx

• 5 weeks later...

Very sad news.

Tair Gatauov, principal of Astana Opera and Honoured Artist of Kazakhstan passed away because of traffic accident on June 10th. 

The company will stream La Bayadere with him as Solor this evening in honour of this great artist on YouTube (Japan time 22:00 so I guess 15:00 in UK)

I have been watching videos of La Sylphide and La Bayadere by the Astana Opera Ballet on YouTube and have been  impressed.   As far as one can tell from a video, their opera house seems to be an excellent auditorium.

I had not been following this stream and the reason I looked up the company is that there is an outside possibility that I may one day visit Astana or Nur Sultan as I believe it is now called.

It appears that the Kazakhs are trying to establish a financial services hub in Nur Sultan called the Astana International Financial Centre with its own legal system based on the common law of England.   Proceedings are in English and several retired English judges sit in the court including Sir Robin Jacob who used be our senior patents judge and briefly a Lord Justice of Appeal.   There appear to have been only two cases so far and  one of those was decided by Sir Robin.   Recently I wrote an article about the court in my other blog.

Should I find myself in Nur Sultan I shall try to attend the ballet and review whatever I see for this website.

In the meantime I am grateful to the contributors  for their information on this topic.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, alison said:

Uploads appear to be continuing here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbaUBJvHT5tfRh4JpHHFBkQ/videos

I just can't decipher most of them :( 

Thanks, Alison. Quite a find!  Premiering in the next 10 hours:

Two-act national ballet,   Legends of the Great Steppe by choreographer-librettist Gulzhan Tutkibayeva  & music by no fewer than seven composers...wow! Almost as many composers as modern versions of Corsaire!

Some of the featured dancers:

Sultan - Kanat Karazhanov

His daughter - Gulvira  Kurbanova

Young Batir - Farkhad Buriev

Soul of the Steppe - Nailya Krebayeva

Predvoditel - Azamat Askanov

etc, etc.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, alison said:

Uploads appear to be continuing here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbaUBJvHT5tfRh4JpHHFBkQ/videos

I just can't decipher most of them :( 

p.s. Note that this is the older, more established ballet company in Almaty, former capital of Kazakhstan...not the relatively new troupe in the new capital of Nur-Sultan (formerly Astana)...the one affiliated with Assylmuratova. They both toured London last fall.

Both companies are good and very well endowed.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • alison changed the title to Broadcasts from the Astana Opera Ballet - Kazakh TV and YouTube
  • 4 weeks later...

The Astana Opera Ballet is presenting its opening ballet gala tomorrow (Friday) at 7 pm Kazakh time (2 pm UK time).  The live audience is restricted to 50 persons, but it is being shown on Kazakh TV.

The programme includes

Petipa's Harlequinade Pas de Deux, Messerer's Spring Waters, a pas de deux from Petit's Notre Dame de Paris, Scheherazade pas de deux, extracts from two Kazakh ballets and an extended extract from Le Corsaire.  All the principal dancers are performing.

Here is the link

https://tengrinews.kz/tv/

Well I thoroughly enjoyed watching a live show from Astana, for once - and some of the dancers have become quite familiar.  The dancing was a bit tentative, but the dancers were clearly enjoying being back on stage after six months' gap.  Aigerim Beketaeva and Bakhtyar Adamzhan were fully committed in Notre Dame de Paris, and there was plenty of attack from Anel Rustemova and Daler Zaparov in the Corsair pas de deux.

Tomorrow (Saturday) they are streaming a live performance of Scheherazade with Anastasia Zaklinskaya and Bakhtyar Adamzhan - it transmits at 1 pm UK time.

The same link

https://tengrinews.kz/tv/

• Like 1