Broadcasts from the Astana Opera Ballet - Kazakh TV and YouTube

The Don Q I referred to above worked fine for me - no buffering even!

Here is the full list of relays. They were 6 hours ahead of us today; they will be 5 hours ahead of the UK from the 29th March.

Astana Opera is now available online

For lovers of high art, the good news: Astana Opera will show its record of its productions online on the channel T engrinews.kz/tv/. A selection of the best examples of opera and ballet performances performed by the Astana Opera artists can be seen during the state of emergency, after which the broadcast will again be carried out in real time according to the theater poster.

%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%81%D0%BB%D1%

Thus, four performances can be seen per week: two operas and two ballets. On weekdays, the broadcast of performances starts at 19:00, on weekends at 18:00.

Schedule of upcoming performances:  

Broadcast Date Day of the week Broadcast Time Performance title Genre
03/17/20 tue 19.00 "Corsair", A. Adan ballet
03/20/20 Fri 19.00 The Bohemia by J. Puccini opera
03/21/20 Sat 6 p.m. Don Quixote, L. Minkus ballet
03/22/20 vsk 6 p.m. “Kyz Zhibek”, E. Brusilovsky opera
03/25/20 wed 19.00 Swan Lake, P. Tchaikovsky ballet
03/27/20 Fri 19.00 Turandot, J. Verdi opera
03/28/20 Sat 6 p.m. “Giselle”, A. Adan ballet
03/29/20 vsk 6 p.m. The Barber of Seville, J. Rossini opera
1.04.20 wed 19.00 La Bayadere, L. Minkus ballet
3.04.20 Fri 19.00 “Birzhan-Sarah”, M. Tulebaev opera
04/04/20 Sat 6 p.m. “Spartak”, A. Khachaturian ballet
04/05/20 vsk 6 p.m. "Eugene Onegin", P. Tchaikovsky opera
04/08/20 wed 19.00 The Nutcracker, P. Tchaikovsky ballet
04/10/20 Fri 19.00 Carmen, J. Bizet opera
04/11/20 Sat 6 p.m. Gala Ballet ballet
04/12/20 vsk 6 p.m. Don Carlos, J. Verdi opera
04/15/20 wed 19.00 Silver age ballets: "Chopiniana." "Scheherazade", M. Fokin ballet
04/16/20 thu 19.00 “Abay”, A.Zhubanov, L. Hamidi opera

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

Whilst the theatres in Kazakhstan are closed and the capital Astana is in lock-down, Kazakh TV has a schedule of broadcasting opera and ballet performances online, but they are only shown once, not available for repeated viewing.

Kazakhstan is 6 hours ahead of the UK, but will be five hours ahead, after the clocks go forward in the UK tonight.

The National Ballet Company performs at the Astana Opera House and was founded about ten years ago.  Seven years ago, it moved into the brand new theatre and school complex in Astana.  Astana, a new city, is the capital of Kazakhstan - and was renamed Nursultan last year, in honour of President Nursultan Nazabayev, when he retired.  Most Kazakhs still refer to it as Astana.  The old capital was Almaty.

There are three ballet companies in Kazakhstan.  The National Ballet Company, which has been directed by Altynai Asylmuratova for the last seven years, has yet to appear in the UK.  The Astana Ballet has a more contemporary repertoire and appeared at the Linbury Theatre last September.  The Abay Kazakh State Ballet Theatre is a more traditional ballet company based in Almaty and appeared at the Coliseum last November.  

I have just watched a transmission of Giselle by the National Ballet Company, featuring as Giselle the daughter of Alytnai Asylmuratova and her husband Konstantin Zaklinsky.

There are opera and ballet transmissions.  The next ballet transmission is La Bayadere on Tuesday, 1 April at 19.00 hours (14.00 hours UK time).  The link is here

https://tengrinews.kz/tv/#

• Like 4

6 hours ago, li tai po said:

The next ballet transmission is La Bayadere on Tuesday, 1 April at 19.00 hours (14.00 hours UK time). 

I'm desperately hoping that's Wednesday 1st: I have 2 deadlines for that time, and can't afford to lose 24 hours.

On 28/03/2020 at 14:23, li tai po said:

I have just watched a transmission of Giselle by the National Ballet Company, featuring as Giselle the daughter of Alytnai Asylmuratova and her husband Konstantin Zaklinsky.

I'm sorry to have missed this as I'd have loved to have seen her. I remember her being born in this country when the Kirov (as they were then) were on tour here in the early 1990s. I remember Zaklinsky appearing at the stage door at the Coliseum looking very bleary and saying he hadn't been getting much sleep! On their next visit a couple of years later I took a photo of him carrying her through the stage door. She had her mother's lovely dark hair (though hers was wavy) and very dark eyes. She's obviously been steeped in ballet from an early age so it's not surprising she became a dancer. Hopefully they may repeat Giselle at some point. I'd love to see her as I'm sure she will be a great dancer if she's anything like her mother.

• Like 2

Bravo, Kazakhstan! Sure beats the American companies (ABT and NYCB in particular), which are only streaming  dancers stretching or giving classes from their flats. Great way (not) to maintain or build the fan base during these difficult times. Sorry, rather frustrated here.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 2

I suppose that the US companies, by and large, don't have the sort of richness in recordings that e.g. the Royal, Bolshoi and even Paris Opera Ballet have, given that they generally don't do cinema showings.  Or has there been rather more televised dance in the US than I'm aware of?

1 hour ago, alison said:

I suppose that the US companies, by and large, don't have the sort of richness in recordings that e.g. the Royal, Bolshoi and even Paris Opera Ballet have, given that they generally don't do cinema showings.  Or has there been rather more televised dance in the US than I'm aware of?

No televised ballet on the USA since the taped “Balanchine in Paris”...unless you count the small ballet numbers in the annual Vienna New Year program. However, all of the companies have “house cam” recordings of all ballets. Would it be so difficult to waive union rules and show some, during these extraordinary times?

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 14:23, li tai po said:

There are opera and ballet transmissions.  The next ballet transmission is La Bayadere on Tuesday, 1 April at 19.00 hours (14.00 hours UK time).  The link is here

Getting little snippets only, between the buffering, but hey, it's better than nothing.

This is most disappointing.  I'd been working my socks off for days, with a deadline just before this started, and had promised myself I could watch it as a treat afterwards :(   From what I can see, it's a ballet with high production values.

I gather that Kazakhstan has been having some difficulties with its internet capacity.

However, they are showing Spartacus now (Saturday 4 April, UK 1.30 pm) (the familiar Grigorovich/Virsaladze version from the Bolshoi) and I am watching it without difficulty.

10 hours ago, li tai po said:

I gather that Kazakhstan has been having some difficulties with its internet capacity.

However, they are showing Spartacus now (Saturday 4 April, UK 1.30 pm) (the familiar Grigorovich/Virsaladze version from the Bolshoi) and I am watching it without difficulty.

Oh good.  I'm hoping for Eugene Onegin tomorrow afternoon.  Not sure of the timing.

I caught the tail end only of Eugene Onegin this afternoon - didn't realise that it was starting earlier, presumably since it was at the weekend.  It featured an older Tatiana "ghosting" in the background, I suppose you'd call it, and presumably looking back on her past life.  Did anyone see the whole thing?

No, opera and ballet transmissions continue, I think, but they are in real time only, so check the timings.  They just appear at the "top" of the page when they are on, with other news etc. below.

Forthcoming broadcasts (times are Kazakh times - currently 5 hours ahead of UK time)

8 April, 19.00 - The Nutcracker

10 April, 19.00 - Carmen

11 April, 18.00 - Ballet Gala

12 April, 18.00 - Don Carlos

15 April, 19.00 - Chopiniana, Scheherazade - I am told this will be The National Ballet of Kazakhstan - and not the Abay Kazakh Ballet Company from Almaty, which brought them to the Coliseum in November

16 April, 19.00 - Abay (Opera by Kazakh composers, Akhmet Zhubanov and Latif Hamidi, 1944).

I watched most of the opera, Eugene Onegin, on Sunday - and there were absolutely no problems with streaming.

• Like 1

Thanks, li tai po.  In that case, can you tell me whether the "ghost" Tatiana was there throughout?  I think I got confused by the time change, because the previous one I saw started at 3 pm, so I missed most of Eugene Onegin :(

And do you know whether that's the French version of Don Carlos?

Alison, you ask me about the "ghost" Tatiana and I can only express my interpretation of what was going on.

In the opening quartet of the opera, Madame Larina is chatting with the Nurse, as they listen to the two girls singing.  Madame Larina becomes nostalgic as she recalls the English romantic novelist Richardson (she mentions his name in the Russian text and refers specifically to his novel, Grandison).  Apparently Richardson was all the rage in late 18th century Russia.  Larina says, "Not that I read his books, but my cousin kept on to me about him".  History repeats itself with Tatiana, who unlike her mother has her head in a book and actually reads the material.  She tells her mother, "the account of the torments suffered by these true lovers moves me".

Richardson's novels are epistolary - the whole novel takes the form of a long series of letters.  The main characters report all their actions and feelings in letters, they do not confront each other directly.  The first two novels, Pamela and Clarissa, featured an innocent heroine threatened by a villainous rake.  Richardson was pilloried by Fielding for his caricature villains - so he wrote a third novel, Grandison, featuring an honourable nobleman.

Pushkin is of course also parodying the Richardson craze.  Tatiana's letter scene and Onegin's letter in the final scene reflect the epistolary nature of Richardson, where characters express their feelings by letter.  The reference to Grandison suggests hopes for an honourable hero, which are dashed by the unfeeling behaviour of Onegin.

I think Madame Larina was reliving her girlhood dreams through Tatiana.  History repeats itself.  So she reverted to her adolescence, when she too had heard about Richardson and imagined writing romantic letters.  Later on, she was overwhelmed by the grandeur of the St. Petersburg palace, achieved by her daughter, which was far beyond the country estate she herself had managed - beyond her wildest dreams for her daughter.  In the final scene, when Madame Larina realised that Onegin had been no Grandison to her daughter but rather a Mr B., she burnt his letter in disgust.

Well you did ask !!  I may be completely wrong about it all.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, li tai po said:

I think Altynai's daughter, Anastasia Zaklinskaya, will be dancing Zobeide in Scheherazade.

I do not know which version of Don Carlos they will perform.

Must try and see this to see Anastasia and try not to think it should have been the day when I saw the debut of Sambe/Magri in Swan Lake. How long ago it all seemed.

The programme for this afternoon's Ballet Gala was

Giselle Act 2 pas de deux - Anastasia Zaklinskaya, Olzhas Tarlanov

Duet from Carmen (Roland Petit) - Gaukhar Ussina, Rustem Seitbekov

Gypsy Dance from Don Quixote

Duet from Notre Dame de Paris (Roland Petit) - Aigerim Beketayeva, Bakhtiyar Adamzhan

Duet from Sounds of Time (Aktoty Raimkulova, Ksenia Zvereva) - Anel Rustemova, Olzhas Tarlanov

Harlequinade pas de deux - Zhulia Adepkhan, Serik Nakyspekov

Tamir solo (Kuat Shildebayev, A. Sadikova) - Gumar Sultanbek

Duet from Scheherazade - Anastasia Zaklinskaya, Serik Nakyspekov

Le Corsaire - Anel Rustemova, Erkin Rakhmatullayev (Ali), Daler Zaparov (Conrad)

Paradise Lost (John Williams, Ksenia Zvereva) - Gaukhar Ussina, Zhanibek Imankulov

Drum Dance from La Bayadere

Grand Pas from Don Quixote - Aigerim Beketayevam Bakhtiyar Adamzhan

• Like 2

Astana Opera has announced a new series of streaming Operas, Ballets and Concerts, including the new Raimondo Rebeck ballet.

The Astana Opera website states that these performances have not been streamed previously, but copyright restrictions have been waived during the quarantine period.

Streaming starts at 2 pm UK time during the week and at 1 pm UK time on Saturdays and Sundays - on TengriTV as before.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) - Chopiniana and Scheherazade - as previously announced

The new programme

Saturday, 18 April - Manon (MacMillan)

Sunday, 19 April - Beethoven, Immortal, Love - the new ballet by Raimondo Rebeck, which premiered on 14 February

Saturday, 25 April - a double bill of 21st century ballets - How Long is Now? (Raimondo Rebeck) and Sounds of Time (Ksenia Zvereva)

Wednesday, 29 April - Coppelia (Roland Petit version) - new production premiered in November 2019

Sunday, 3 May - Swan Lake

Saturday, 9 May - Beethoven, Immortal, Love

Here is the Astana Opera website.

http://astanaopera.kz/en/эксклюзивные-спектакли-астана-опер/

and TengriTV for the streaming is here

• Like 3

• alison changed the title to Kazakh TV - Broadcasts from the Astana Opera Ballet

The Astana Opera Ballet has now provided detailed information about casting for forthcoming streaming.  All broadcasts start at 1pm UK time on Saturdays and Sundays and at 2 pm UK time on weekdays.  They are showing two different casts of the new Beethoven ballet by Raimondo Rebeck and of the new production of Roland Petit's Coppelia.

Saturday, 18 April - Manon (Kenneth MacMillan) - performance of 27 February 2020 - Aigerim Beketayeva (Manon), Olzhas Tarlanov (Des Grieux), Arman Urazov (Lescaut) and Anel Rustemova (Lescaut's mistress)

Sunday, 19 April - Beethoven, Immortality, Love (Raimondo Rebeck) - performance of 14 February 2020 - Bakhtiyar Adamzhan (Beethoven), Aigerim Beketayeva (Love), Assel Shaikenova (Euterpe - inspiration) and Olzhas Makhanbetainov (Deafness)

Saturday, 25 April - 21st Century Ballets - performance of 9 December 2018

How Long is Now? (Raimondo Rebeck) - Serik Nakyspekov (Time), Nazira Zayetova and Aibar Toktar (Youth), Madina Basbayeva and Arman Urazov (Adulthood) and Assel Shaikenova and Tair Gatauov (Maturity)

Sounds of Time (Ksenia Zvereva) - Olzhas Tarlanov (Ansar), Anel Rustemova (Nuriya), Zhanibek Imankulov (Gunar) and Anastasia Zaklinskaya (Anais)

Wednesday, 29 April - Coppelia (Roland Petit) - performance of 22 November 2019 - Aigerim Beketayeva (Swanilda), Bakhtiyar Adamzhan (Franz) and Luigi Bonino (Coppelius)

Sunday, 3 May - Swan Lake - performance of 10 March 2018 - Madina Basbayeva (Odette-Odile), Yerkin Rakhmatullayev (Siegfried), Arman Urazov (Rothbart) and Serik Nakyspekov (Jester)

Saturday, 9 May - Beethoven, Immortality, Love (Raimondo Rebeck) - performance of 15 February 2020 - Daler Zaparov (Beethoven), Mariko Kitamura (Love), Gaukhar Ussina (Euterpe - inspiration) and Serik Nakyspekov (Deafness)

Wednesday, 13 May - Coppelia (Roland Petit) - performance of 23 November 2019 - Shugyla Adepkhan (Swanilda), Arman Urazov (Franz) and Rustem Seitbekov (Coppelius)

Sunday, 17 May - Ballet Gala - performance of 16 March 2016 - Madina Basbayeva, Aigerim Beketayeva, Gaukhar Ussina, Zhanibek Imankulov, Anel Rustemova, Anastasia Zaklinskaya, Sheraliyeva Saniya, Eldar Sarsembayev, Doszhan Tabildi, Tair Gatauov, Arman Urazov, Rustem Seitbekov, Zhanibek Imankulov, Ildar Shakirzyanov and Bakhtiyar Adamzhan

The link is here

Wow!  The Beethoven ballet was ambitious in its scale.  The Astana Opera Ballet mounting a massive full-length work by the contemporary choreographer, Raimondo Rebeck, from Berlin.

Like any new ballet it had its challenges, but the closing section danced to the final movement of the choral symphony was uplifting and a remarkable feat in crowd control - moving the entire opera and ballet companies around the stage.  They were all dressed in sparkling white and it seemed like a vision of paradise.  I found Beethoven's final moment on stage was very moving. 

This was a recording of the world premiere on 14 February this year and it evoked a very enthusiastic response from the audience.  I cannot wait to watch the second, younger cast, who were recorded on the following night.  They are showing it on Saturday, 9 May at 1 pm.

• 3 weeks later...

Astana Opera Ballet now appear to be streaming on you tube, rather than the very limited real time streaming.

Swan Lake is here - but I do not know how long it will stay here.

The next stream due is the second cast of Raimondo Rebeck's Beethoven ballet on Saturday, 9 May.