Royal Opera House broadcasts parts of its back catalogue

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a recording of Sylvia Guillem in RB Raymonda Act3?  

Infinitely better than Osipova .... this ballet really highlights her poor classical ballet technique.  Stepping onto bent leg for posé turns etc.   I cannot watch ... will fast forward to see the rest including Vadim who are super 👏👏👏

Edited by FionaE
Pressed submit in error
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As an e-mail footnote today, it appears Sleeping Beauty will be the next ROH stream on 26 February, 7pm. 

There is going to be a new opera recital streaming on 19 February so hopefully the ballet is working on something as well. 

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

As an e-mail footnote today, it appears Sleeping Beauty will be the next ROH stream on 26 February, 7pm. 

There is going to be a new opera recital streaming on 19 February so hopefully the ballet is working on something as well. 

and it's not a DVD (yet)…..

We are excited to celebrate this anniversary by streaming our 2020 recording of this landmark production, restored to its original staging by Monica Mason and Christopher Newton in 2006. The ballet features choreography by Marius Petipa, additional choreography by Frederick Ashton, Anthony Dowell and Christopher Wheeldon and a masterful score by Tchaikovsky. Fumi Kaneko stars as Princess Aurora, with Federico Bonelli as Prince Florimund, Kristen McNally as Carabosse and Gina Storm-Jensen as the Lilac Fairy.

49 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

I seriously covet this particular SB starring Fumi Kaneko! It must become a DVD/Blu-Ray release. :)

You may get your wish. The last RB "Beauty" was released in Feb 2018 (Feb 2017 Nunez performance) and this might be an indication they intend to release this as well. They haven't yet shown anything that wasn't or wasn't destined for DVD/Blue Ray.

• 2 weeks later...

Next up - Elite Syncopations

This film will be available to watch from 7pm Friday 12 March until 11 April 2021. 

"The joyous nature of the work is fitting for this recording, taken from the celebrated The Royal Ballet: Back on Stage performance which took place in October 2020 as it marked the first time that the Company had performed on stage together in seven months."

https://stream.roh.org.uk/products/elite-syncopations-2020

Edited by oncnp

Confused here ... is this a different performance of Elite Syncopations to the one on the BBC iplayer Gala?   Looks the same to me?  

Why would anyone in the UK pay to watch the stream?  

And the same price for full Sleeping Beauty and 17 minutes of Elite Sync?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Confused here ... is this a different performance of Elite Syncopations to the one on the BBC iplayer Gala?   Looks the same to me?  

Why would anyone in the UK pay to watch the stream?  

And the same price for full Sleeping Beauty and 17 minutes of Elite Sync?

According to the announcement, this is Elite as performed on the Back on Stage  program last October (and November come to that), where it took the entire second half of the program  The BBC gala was snippets, I believe. 

So it's the same 3GBP as for Raymonda, Marguerite & Armand  and the other one act-ers  they have broadcast. 

Edited by oncnp

On 09/02/2021 at 14:46, Jeannette said:

I seriously covet this particular SB starring Fumi Kaneko! It must become a DVD/Blu-Ray release. :)

Even better - you can download it. 

12 minutes ago, DanJL said:

Is that an option offered by the ROH?

I have to admit I'd personally much rather have the chance to buy things on DVD (or even better Blu Ray) than settle for a download, even if there's a big price difference.

The download option is right on the screen (240 - 1080p). I started the download to see if there was an  additional charge and there didn't seem to be. I didn't finish (don't want the recording) so there may be one at the end.  I can't see them putting out a DVD/Blu Ray after giving it away but who knows? 

image.png.1b48576e277a3729bb4b7566fedc6072.png

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

The download option is right on the screen (240 - 1080p). I started the download to see if there was an  additional charge and there didn't seem to be. I didn't finish (don't want the recording) so there may be one at the end.  I can't see them putting out a DVD/Blu Ray after giving it away but who knows? 

image.png.1b48576e277a3729bb4b7566fedc6072.png

Like DanJL, I prefer DVD...up on my ballet-library shelf. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I watched it on Friday night and loved it just as much as back in the autumn. I'd actually forgotten some of the lovely performances and the subtle bits of activity around the edges. Really pleased to be able to see the full performance again!

Guest oncnp
39 minutes ago, alison said:

I see nobody's mentioned Elite Syncopations (the socially-distanced one), which started last Friday.

It was on Feb 25 and on  the calendar.

Edited by oncnp

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, alison said:

Oh dear, sorry.  We're getting so far ahead of ourselves that I completely forgot - I just saw that the thread hadn't been bumped in ages, and assumed we weren't up-to-date!

It was quite a while ago 😁

I am not sure if this has been flagged up yet,  but another  RB offering coming shortly is: 

The Dream (2017) (Takada /McRae)  https://stream.roh.org.uk/products/the-dream-2017

"Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream interpreted by Frederick Ashton is a classic of The Royal Ballet’s repertory. Available to watch or share for £3....from 19 March until 18 April 2021"

...although elsewhere the website also says "from 26  March"  

Steven McRae Oberon and Akane Takada as Titania in The Dream. © ROH 2017. Photo by Tristram Kenton

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

Guest oncnp
5 hours ago, Richard LH said:

I am not sure if this has been flagged up yet,  but another  RB offering coming shortly is: 

The Dream (2017) (Takada /McRae)  https://stream.roh.org.uk/products/the-dream-2017

"Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream interpreted by Frederick Ashton is a classic of The Royal Ballet’s repertory. Available to watch or share for £3....from 19 March until 18 April 2021"

...although elsewhere the website also says "from 26  March"  

Steven McRae Oberon and Akane Takada as Titania in The Dream. © ROH 2017. Photo by Tristram Kenton

Now resolved. Both the "What's On" page and the stream say March 19.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest oncnp

Just a reminder that tomorrow 2 May is the last day for Symphonic Variations on the ROH website. 

22 hours ago, oncnp said:

Just a reminder that tomorrow 2 May is the last day for Symphonic Variations on the ROH website. 

Repeated viewings are really worthwhile. So many details I have never fully registered before. They call it a masterpiece - quite rightly.