Royal Opera House broadcasts parts of its back catalogue

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Given that they have already streamed Elite, maybe it will be the turn of the ‘Golden Hour’ programme to be streamed in November.

Ah, but it wont be the same doubled up Elite as in the Gala, and there will be all the other items in the programme. I had the impression there'd be some different ones there.

On 22/10/2020 at 08:55, oncnp said:

Found on Twitter...

Graham Watts @GWDanceWriter

@TheRoyalBallet

will continue its free #OurHouseToYourHouse broadcasts with a new Friday Premiere of Crystal Pite’s Olivier award-winning Flight Pattern (2019), which will be broadcast for free, wherever you are in the world, by YouTube, on 6 November

It's official.... Flight Pattern has been added to the "What's On" page for 6 Nov

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/11/2020 at 08:02, oncnp said:

Enigma Variations stream 

4 December 2020–3 January 2021.

This film is scheduled to become available at 7pm GMT on 4 December 2020. You can watch On Demand until 3 January 2020. Available to watch or share for £3.

https://stream.roh.org.uk/products/enigma-variations-2019

Bumping this for tonight's premiere. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (2017) available to watch or share for £3.

https://stream.roh.org.uk/products/alice-s-adventures-in-wonderland-2017

This event is scheduled to begin at 7pm GMT on Friday 1 January 2021.  Following the live stream, a film of the performance will be available to watch On Demand until 31 January 2021.

Federico Bonelli -  Jack/The Knave of Hearts
James Hay -  Lewis Carroll/The White Rabbit
Laura Morera -  Mother/The Queen of Hearts
Steven McRae  - Magician/The Mad Hatter

Edited by oncnp

3 hours ago, alison said:

I wonder which version Sky Arts is showing? :)

According to the Friends newsletter of today it is the 2017 version. I think it may be the only DVD of it they have. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/12/2020 at 19:58, oncnp said:

According to the Friends newsletter of today it is the 2017 version. I think it may be the only DVD of it they have. 

I have a bootleg copy with Sarah Lamb as Alice which I downloaded from Sky Arts a couple or so years ago so they had that at one point as well.

Edited by Two Pigeons

44 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

I have a bootleg copy with Sarah Lamb as Alice which I downloaded from Sky Arts a couple or so years ago so they had that at one point as well.

Interesting...I wonder if it is akin to the "Winter's Tale" currently on Marquee TV - perhaps a cinema broadcast that was never made into a DVD? and which I've been able to watch for free when everything else seems to require membership. 

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Interesting...I wonder if it is akin to the "Winter's Tale" currently on Marquee TV - perhaps a cinema broadcast that was never made into a DVD? and which I've been able to watch for free when everything else seems to require membership. 

That sounds extremely likely.  I think I may have a bootleg copy of the other Winter's Tale too.  I really miss having a DVD recorder, not least one with an HDMI connection.

2 hours ago, Two Pigeons said:

I really miss having a DVD recorder, not least one with an HDMI connection.

There's very little choice available these days :( I think we may be down to one Panasonic and one Sony, or something like that - and I don't think they allow you to connect external devices any more (I used to have a DVDR/VCR, and was transferring my tapes over until the laser assembly failed :( ).  I recently found a nice DVDR in a charity shop, though ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanJL said:

There seems to be a bit of a hidden goldmine of ROH cinema broadcasts that didn't make it onto DVD. If ROH or someone else was able to show / stream them all that's certainly a service I'd be happy to pay for!

Yes, I've been thinking that they certainly had cinema broadcasts which didn't make it onto Sky Arts or DVD, so I was assuming there wouldn't be any problems with rights if the ROH wanted to show them.  I'm a bit surprised they haven't so far, to avoid overlap with Sky Arts.

• Like 2

Friday premiere next week -  Marguerite and Armand

2017 stars @zenaidayanowsky alongside @robertobolle - watch via website from 7pm UK time on 15 January!

6 hours ago, alison said:

Oh dear, another one I got on my Christmas DVDs!  Oh well, I can find something else ...

Although I also treated myself to it on Blue ray I'll be watching the stream on Friday. I like the feeling of sharing it with others watching at the same time, plus gives the RB a bit of money.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oncnp said:

Friday premiere next week -  Marguerite and Armand

2017 stars @zenaidayanowsky alongside @robertobolle - watch via website from 7pm UK time on 15 January!

I think its the one filmed performance where I was actually in the audience - it was Zenaida Yanowsky's last performance before her retirement.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CHazell2 said:

I was there too, stayed for most of the applause too. Lots of flowers. 

Yes it was lovely - luckily I was staying overnight in London (back when we were allowed to) so didn't have to rush for the train. Perhaps they will show the Dream and Symphonic Variations too as they were part of the triple bill?

19 hours ago, alison said:

It would probably be better for them if they didn't show stuff which is now freely available on Sky Arts.

Disagree, Alison.
What ROH shows on its web streaming can be seen just about worldwide, don't think Sky Arts is. 
And it is the Royal Opera House/Royal Ballet specific showcase, and in HD which Freeview Sky is not.

Fair point. The DVDs are available worldwide I think. Purely selfishly I'd love to see more streams that aren't already available (there were a few last year in fairness). But perhaps from the point of view of reaching out to wider and new audiences, the existing broadcasts are good and convenient options.

• Like 2