Royal Opera House broadcasts parts of its back catalogue

Isn't it just! I still remember his Gabriele Adorno from more or less the same place in the house at roughly the same time. At the interval the man sitting beside me could barely speak other than to say "My God, what have we just heard?" And he certainly didn't have Domingo's faltering baritone in mind.

• Like 1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I realised only the other day that these ROH streamings are actually staying up for longer than the official 7 days: The Metamorphosis was still available a few days ago, so presumably everything since that is, as well.

21 hours ago, alison said:

I realised only the other day that these ROH streamings are actually staying up for longer than the official 7 days: The Metamorphosis was still available a few days ago, so presumably everything since that is, as well.

I feel like I read somewhere that said they are staying up for 14 days. Not sure where I read that from though. My memory is failing me. Ha

Considering they recorded 2 Filles in short succession, I wonder which it will be?  Probably the Osipova one.

Interested to note, from the article in The Times, that The Metamorphosis got over a million views!

Guest oncnp
16 minutes ago, alison said:

Considering they recorded 2 Filles in short succession, I wonder which it will be?  Probably the Osipova one.

According to the ROH twitter Nunez/Acosta

Having just been watching NYCB's latest offering, I have to say that if the ROH have performance recordings of similar quality - and I believe that every performance is filmed, in some way? - I for one would be perfectly happy to watch those too, if rights issues can be avoided.

• Like 3

Well I got that email as well.  The header "Celebrating Margot Fonteyn" is rather disappointing.  In the Ondine clip you get all of 10 seconds of her dancing, followed by short clips of other people dancing roles created for her.  Not really what I would call a celebration.  

However, the following clips appeared on Youtube afterwards.  in part 1, the music in Giselle can't actually have been played that quickly can it? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFLpekDC7KE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuIOQfe3Rj4

Edited by Fonty

On 22/05/2020 at 11:52, Fonty said:

in part 1, the music in Giselle can't actually have been played that quickly can it?

You are quite right Fonty: the film was cranked at one speed but played back at another, creating the effect of the dancers going too fast. This is either lazy or underfunded television production, or perhaps the programme was made before variable speed mechanisms were available (do you happen to know what these two extracts come from and who made this?)

By the time of Kevin Brownlow’s various wonderful series about the early days of cinema - made from 1980 onwards for Thames TV - there was more than enough technical expertise around to sort out these sorts of issues. 

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, alison said:

Probably. Unless he was dancing a friend? They used to have first soloists in those roles at one stage.

Ed Watson wasn't a dancing friend but, on the female side, Laura Morera, Sarah Lamb, Lauren Cuthbertson and Christina Arestis were.

So many other dancers on stage in this recording of Fille left years and years ago - this was 2005, after all.

• Like 3

I have been watching the streaming from the ENB,NT and ROH, on the last two occasions of the RB ( Cellist and Fille ) the performance has stopped and the “loading” message appears (You Tube) on the screen. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just my broadband?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oncnp
11 minutes ago, alison said:

Is it my imagination, or has Fille disappeared from YouTube already?  All the others have been up there for 4 weeks, as reported previously :(

La Fille was always listed for only 2 weeks June 12 - 26 per ROH e-mail. Not sure why

Edited by oncnp

I watched Woolf Works and was intrigued by the ending to part 2. There were none of the extreme lighting effects, and we did not have the appearance of Eric Underwood in his gold Elizabeth 1 outfit, although he did appear for the curtain call wearing it. Was this scene cut for some performances, or maybe the televised one?

6 hours ago, oncnp said:

La Fille was always listed for only 2 weeks June 12 - 26 per ROH e-mail. Not sure why

But have all the previous ones been shown as 2 weeks?  All the others, as far as I know, stayed on YT for the additional fortnight.

Oh well, I had to watch my 4:3 copy recorded off the telly.  I'd been hoping to see it properly in 16:9 format, but there you go.

11 hours ago, alison said:

Oh well, I had to watch my 4:3 copy recorded off the telly.  I'd been hoping to see it properly in 16:9 format, but there you go.

Can you adjust the format on your tv? I've got an old DVD transferred from an old video where the lead male dancer (no names mentioned) looks extremely chubby! I altered the format and he slimmed down immediately.

That's what I had to do!  It started off in widescreen, but everyone looked ridiculously pudgy.  Not sure why so many of mine have ended up in 4:3: I'd have expected the recording to be encoded so that the player could pick the most appropriate aspect ratio, but apparently not.