Royal Opera House broadcasts parts of its back catalogue

Has everyone received this email from the Royal Opera House?

They're streaming some of their back catalogue of productions via Facebook & YouTube. Looks terrific.  #fromourhousetoyourhouse

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/the-royal-opera-house-launches-a-programme-of-free-online-content-for-the-culturally-curious-at-home?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020_March_Free_Content_Announcement_Public_Ask&utm_content=version_A&emailsource=49912

NB: I hope this isn't replicating what others have already posted; I did check to see ...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it covers the same ground as one they sent out maybe a week ago, but thanks for posting anyway :) 

The season is called "Our House to Your House".

Edited by alison
To add a searchable reference

I've just received an email from the Friends Office adding another couple of items for our delectation. Gloriana and Winters Tale. I'm distinctly underwhelmed. I realise there are probably copyright issues but surely they could have done,better than just stick a few dvds on?

Edited by ninamargaret
Spelling correction
  • Like 6

Gloriana

THE ROYAL OPERA

24 April, 7pm BST

Queen Elizabeth I is forced to choose between love and duty in Richard Jones's production of Britten's grand opera.

The Winter’s Tale

THE ROYAL BALLET

1 May, 7pm BST

A modern ballet classic, Christopher Wheeldon brings Shakespeare's romance to the stage in this tale about the destructive power of jealousy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bridiem said:

I'll be pleased to see The Winter's Tale since I don't have the DVD. I might even give Gloriana a go since I've never seen it.

I liked Gloriana, it got very good reviews and I managed to get a late ticket to see it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LATEST FROM THE ROYAL OPERA  HOUSE

Anastasia

Friday 15 May, 7pm BST

We are proud to announce that the next in our series of online Premieres will be Kenneth MacMillan’s Anastasia. Starring Natalia Osipova, it is based on the true story of Anna Anderson who believed she was the youngest daughter of Tsar Nicholas II. 

• Like 3

On 17/04/2020 at 23:02, alison said:

BTW, am I the only person to have registered the common factor in all the RB videos? :D

And it goes on :P 

What am I bid for the next one?  Woolf Works?  Ondine?  Is it too soon for another Mayerling?

14 hours ago, alison said:

And it goes on :P 

What am I bid for the next one?  Woolf Works?  Ondine?  Is it too soon for another Mayerling?

What are you actually talking about?! I haven't analysed what's been offered by the ROH so I've no idea what is 'going on'.

24 minutes ago, bridiem said:

What are you actually talking about?! I haven't analysed what's been offered by the ROH so I've no idea what is 'going on'.

The common factor is  Edward Watson !

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 2

I agree : the ROH has been outstripped by all the other major companies who are broadcasting a real variety of classical and modern works from their respective repertoires. It is a missed opportunity I think to appeal to a new audience.

A special mention for the Stuttgart Company who so generously broadcast their own 1st Night recording of Mayerling. 

• Like 3

Although I enjoyed both Acis and Galatea and The Winter’s Tale, I agree the choices have been somewhat unexpected! I’m afraid I find Anastasia largely padding, & not very interesting padding, until Act 3. I wonder what will be next? Wolf Works (which I love!)?

I do hope that it will actually be something by Ashton since, by then, we will have had McGregor, Wheeldon and MacMillan! 

• Like 3

"Bringing some cheer" might not necessarily be words I'd have chosen for a broadcast of Anastasia, but it takes all sorts, etc.

13 hours ago, Ianlond said:

I do hope that it will actually be something by Ashton since, by then, we will have had McGregor, Wheeldon and MacMillan! 

If the aim is to keep spirits up and appeal to a new audience, I know it's an obvious one but surely Fille would fit the bill. But really, seeing anything at all by Ashton would make me happy, he just has that effect!

I do think that some of the choices have been based on what they think people *should* enjoy rather than what they *do* enjoy; or perhaps they're trying to make a point that ballet isn't all tutus and frivolity.

• Like 10

Yes, I think the choices have been a little strange. but I agree that they may well be trying to demonstrate the range. I would have thought a triple bill would be a good idea. I must say The Winter's Tale has stood out for me as a particularly good choice. Incidentally, it was lovely to have Christopher Wheeldon contributing on Twitter during the 'live' streaming.

Edited by Odyssey

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Yes, I think the choices have been a little strange. but I agree that they may well be trying to demonstrate the range. I would have thought a triple bill would be a good idea. I must say The Winter's Tale has stood out for me as a particularly good choice. Incidentally, it was lovely to have Christopher Wheeldon contributing on Twitter during the 'live' streaming.

Winter's Tale is a ballet I like a lot - but have the dvd. Though I'd have thought they'd be better off doing what the Americans are doing - 30mins pieces from mixed bills. They should have enough Ashton and MacMillan to chose from (as well as lots of more recent ones). They won't do it, but I'd love to see some short ballets that didn't make it to DVD (or with alternate casts from the ones that did) that they must have in the archives. Now that really would be worth watching, to my mind

• Like 13

So shall I, Lizbie. I was there for the performance, in one of the much lamented side of the stage seats, and loved it. It seems a long time since we last heard Calleja at the ROH and, to my mind, he is still the closest thing to the late, great Jussi Bjorling.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

It seems a long time since we last heard Calleja at the ROH and, to my mind, he is still the closest thing to the late, great Jussi Bjorling.

Agree with every word of this and, as they said about Bjorling, the amazing thing about Calleja is that his voice is even more beautiful live. 

• Like 3