Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jane

Thinking of all - covid 19 lockdown

Recommended Posts

At these increasingly difficult times I just want to say that I’m thinking of this community and hope all stay safe.
Keep washing your hands as you or your family/housemates could be carrying the virus. 
To the key workers, especially NHS on the frontline I can’t find the words to express my gratitude. 
Best wishes to all x 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish my eldest daughter was locked down. She does a desk job in the local hospital. It’s always stressful and yesterday they had their first confirmed Covid19 case. Please be safe, everyone. x

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son Sean is working. In the main pharmacy in Newry. He said up until a few days ago it was just insane in there. At one point the Pharmacist was literally screaming at customers to stay back as they were surging forward into the shop. Now they are only allowed in two at a time. He said it's a hell of a lot calmer and less stressful now. They have not long been given their protective face masks though. Couldn't get hold of any for weeks. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stay safe everyone.

 

Why not use the Forum to come and chat and de-stress?

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lisa O`Brien said:

My son Sean is working. In the main pharmacy in Newry. He said up until a few days ago it was just insane in there. At one point the Pharmacist was literally screaming at customers to stay back as they were surging forward into the shop. Now they are only allowed in two at a time.

 

The pharmacies most local to me are allowing only 3 people at a time - but then I suppose shop size is a consideration.  Unfortunately, this leads to a queue of people outside who are certainly not obeying the social distancing rules :(  I have to go in and pick up a prescription sometime - I'm not sure when it's best to do it.

 

Noticed this afternoon: an Amazon delivery guy (doing a lot of neighbouring deliveries, which I suppose is more cost-effective) wearing a face mask, so that's good.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went for a jog in my local park today, and I have to say that people were behaving sensibly.  My other half went out for some groceries this morning, and said that everyone was trying to maintain a distance from each other.  The problem is really public transport.  I have no choice but to use it, and trying to find a time when it is relatively empty is proving tricky.  I can't understand why tfl can't seem to understand that if they have trains coming at 10 minute intervals, rather than the usual 2 or 3 minutes, then the chances are the carriages will get quite full at certain times.  It is not rocket science, is it?

 

And now for a cheerful link.  However, I must warn you that since I have played it, every time the word Coronavirus is mentioned, I start to hum it!

 

https://tinyurl.com/vxg3oh3

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alison said:

 

The pharmacies most local to me are allowing only 3 people at a time - but then I suppose shop size is a consideration.  Unfortunately, this leads to a queue of people outside who are certainly not obeying the social distancing rules :(  I have to go in and pick up a prescription sometime - I'm not sure when it's best to do it.

 

Noticed this afternoon: an Amazon delivery guy (doing a lot of neighbouring deliveries, which I suppose is more cost-effective) wearing a face mask, so that's good.

We had the same problem and we are in self isolation for my husband so really didn't want to go anywhere near it. In the end we wrote to our Pharmacy and asked them to post it to us. That was 2 days ago, and today they delivered it by hand (not literally) which was really marvellous (Lloyds). In future, we are going on line with Echo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to Tesco's "older and vulnerable" shopping hour today, everyone well-behaved and polite, a huge help,  but I kept forgetting to keep my distance :)

 

Hoping that my hospital will cancel next week's appointment, also that I won't get the NHS "Shielding" letter this week.

 

 

Edited by Beryl H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Beryl H said:

I went to Tesco's "older and vulnerable" shopping hour today, everyone well-behaved and polite, a huge help

 

 

Ditto - and the same goes for Sainsbury's.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2020 at 08:38, Lisa O`Brien said:

My son Sean is working. In the main pharmacy in Newry. He said up until a few days ago it was just insane in there. At one point the Pharmacist was literally screaming at customers to stay back as they were surging forward into the shop. Now they are only allowed in two at a time. He said it's a hell of a lot calmer and less stressful now. They have not long been given their protective face masks though. Couldn't get hold of any for weeks. 

We had a local pharmacy saying they had people being abusive when asked to keep a proper distance. Utterly disgusting behaviour which was rightly denounced on our local covid 19 support site. 

 

Shopping seems to be calming down about at most supermarkets locally. My main problems is trying to buy for 2 households as my parents are in their 80s and told to self isolate for 12 weeks. I would love to be able to just go to one shop and get everything done once a week but with the shortages and buying limits it isn't possible. Today it took 3 shops to find everything they needed and most of my list, which means I am out the house and potentially spreading the virus more than I would wish. Still it's nice to spend time with my 14 year old DD, even if her homework is beyond my comprehension when she asks for help. I feel like I am getting an education trying to help.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm don't think I've been officially told to self isolate as I haven't received a letter from the NHS to "shield" myself , suppose I'm just an ordinary 70+ able to use the supermarket special hours, managed to get some Paracetamol yesterday in Tesco, was so happy, but it has to be diluted and has a funny flavour :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beryl H said:

I'm don't think I've been officially told to self isolate as I haven't received a letter from the NHS to "shield" myself , suppose I'm just an ordinary 70+ able to use the supermarket special hours, managed to get some Paracetamol yesterday in Tesco, was so happy, but it has to be diluted and has a funny flavour :)

 

The categories for shielding are very specific and include those post transplant, people who are immunosuppressed etc. They have very detailed advice about what they should and shouldn’t do for at least the next 12 weeks. These people are more likely to become infected if exposed to the virus and as already compromised will be very ill and have  a poor outcome. 

Those of us that are in the vulnerable category as identified on Monday 16th March are those over 70 and those with a specific health condition including diabetes, heart conditions, Parkinson’s etc. The advise is to observe rigorously social distancing guidelines. This group are no more likely to become infected than anybody else but are more likely to suffer serious consequences from the virus should they catch it, that is more likely to end up in an intensive care bed with a poor outcome. 
 

Since then the lockdown is to try to ensure all are observing social distancing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SMabbutt said:

I would love to be able to just go to one shop and get everything done once a week but with the shortages and buying limits it isn't possible. Today it took 3 shops to find everything they needed and most of my list, which means I am out the house and potentially spreading the virus more than I would wish.

 

Me too.  Not sure how much of my list I covered, but I got the essentials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Beryl H on the British Heart Foundation website it states all shielding letters will arrive by 2nd April. So if you think you are in that group still time to receive one. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...