In difficult times when we need a laugh (or our spirits uplifting)...

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

To be honest, I find this "Karen" thing that some people have got going highly unpleasant and extremely offensive.  Tends to say more about the person using the term than anything else.

'Sorry..."Karen thing"?

14 hours ago, Janite said:

I really needed a laugh and this was it, half an hour of fun and jollity.

That was so funny. But also so special because making the mundane like sitting down look so beautiful and to create that comedy as they do.. joyous!

• Like 1

Ashton Foundation posted this lovely video. Ashton's choreographic signature performed by wonderful dancers of The Royal Ballet.

Isabella Gasparini, Anna Rose O'Sullivan, Romany Pajdak, Alexander Campbell, Claire Calvert, William Bracewell, Fumi Kaneko, Reece Clarke, Marianela Nunez and Gary Avis.  

• Like 9

I should have been at The Lowry this week enjoying Northern Ballet's gorgeous production of Cinderella.

Northern Ballet and NB Sinfonia have released this short video of some of the Sinfonia playing Cinderella's solo entrance to the ball.  It is introduced by composer Philip Feeney.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that this might be a nice place to recount something.

It was a lovely afternoon yesterday and I was walking down the beautiful, tree lined Avenue of Beautiful Trees when I looked into the window of Loves Department Store.  It was full of cheerful, sunshiny colored clothing.

Suddenly a bright pink 1956 convertible pulled up to the curb and out jumped four beautiful young women dressed in cheerful, sunshiny colored dresses. The car radio wasn’t on but I was sure that I heard Mozart arias being sung by Elvis Presley.   

Two of the young women dashed into Loves Department Store. Another grabbed a hurried young businessman and started dancing the Bugaloo, I Love You — For Two.

Out came the young women loaded with toys that they gave to every little child that they saw passing by.

Then they all jumped back into the car except for one who undauntedly strutted into the crosswalk, wowing all onlookers and stopping all traffic, to help an elderly lady find her way to the other side of the avenue.

She got back in and they all drove off into the setting sun, leaving behind a giant mist of butterflies and roses.

• Like 2

"Astronomy Picture of the Day" — Well, sort of.   😊

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap200614.html

“Explanation: What are these humans doing? Dancing. Many humans on Earth exhibit periods of happiness, and one method of displaying happiness is dancing. Happiness and dancing transcend national boundaries and occur in practically every human society. Above, Matt Harding traveled through many nations on Earth, planned on dancing, and filmed the result. The featured video, one in a series of similar videos, is perhaps a dramatic example that humans from all over planet Earth feel a common bond as part of a single species. Happiness is frequently contagious -- few people are able to watch the featured video without smiling.”

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1

I hope people can see the glorious Momoko Hirata's Rose Adagio with Birmingham Royal Ballet.  I was privileged to see her debut (with Alexander Campbell) in 2010(?) and I knew from the moment she stepped on stage that we were in for something very special ... and I was right!

This was published on the BRB Facebook page yesterday:

• Like 4

On 15/06/2020 at 09:49, Jan McNulty said:

I hope people can see the glorious Momoko Hirata's Rose Adagio with Birmingham Royal Ballet.  I was privileged to see her debut (with Alexander Campbell) in 2010(?) and I knew from the moment she stepped on stage that we were in for something very special ... and I was right!

This was published on the BRB Facebook page yesterday:

Thanks so for this Jan.  I remember seeing this pairing (Hirata/Campbell) in the stunning Wright production at a Wednesday BRB matinee performance at the Coliseum.  It was truly magical.  This clip brought back so many wonderful memories.  If a film of the whole rehearsal was a available I do wish BRB might stream it.  I'm sure many of their patrons would be entirely delighted.  Of course, I'm confident there are many reasons why this may not be possible.  Still the memory pervades ... and this is a delightful souvenir.  Thank you.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

From the archives. 

(Where the Hell is Matt? 2012. The series title seems to have changed to "Where the Heck is Matt", a slightly nicer ring to a charming and joyful series of videos.)

• Like 1

I was moved to tears of joy by this: 

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fprojectsaute%2Fvideos%2F1123926161315584%2F&show_text=0&width=560" 

Clicking on the link will take you to the video, produced by George Liang (Project Sau:té) and dancers and orchestra members of Northern Ballet.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I was moved to tears of joy by this: 

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fprojectsaute%2Fvideos%2F1123926161315584%2F&show_text=0&width=560" 

Clicking on the link will take you to the video, produced by George Liang (Project Sau:té) and dancers and orchestra members of Northern Ballet.

Lovely, Jan. Thank you. I go hiking as often as I can and I can really empathise with this.

A little heavy on the final message, perhaps, but the video is lovely.

And to some of us....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-yeXOgD6BU

Edited by Buddy