In difficult times when we need a laugh (or our spirits uplifting)...

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

So funny!!

I may now start moving around my flat in a series of grand jetés and bourrées with appropriate épaulement and perfectly pointed feet. And perhaps choose a different role for each room? Maybe Ondine in the bathroom (already has a watery theme); Cinderella in the kitchen (though sadly no fireplace); Tatiana in the sitting room (lots of books); Juliet, Mary Vetsera or Manon in the bedroom (no comment); Myrthe in the hall (can only move in a straight line, though I may have to move a bookcase first).

More seriously: when I think of what's happening outside right now - any Wayne McGregor role; when I think of those who have died - the Pie Jesu solo in MacMillan's Requiem; when I hope for the future - a role in Mark Morris' L'Allegro, il penseroso ed il moderato, the most profound expression of harmony, humanity and community.

May I add Cinderella on the staircase to your list? I think I would avoid going to the bathroom if Ondine is there: I like the ballet, but must remember that social distancing is really necessary in this case - her kiss is fatal. Just move your bookcase: she's not known for negotiating.

Does your comment about Wayne MacGregor mean that his choreography kills dancers' bodies and those watching it? That's how I've interpreted your comment, but you've begun the sentence with 'more seriously' so I maybe I have misunderstood.

Love your choice of the Mark Morris piece.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Darlex said:

Does your comment about Wayne MacGregor mean that his choreography kills dancers' bodies and those watching it? That's how I've interpreted your comment, but you've begun the sentence with 'more seriously' so I maybe I have misunderstood.

No - I just meant that for me most of his choreography expresses a kind of distortion and chaotic lack of harmony that is what I feel to be currently abroad outside the peaceful confines of my own home. I'm aware that it doesn't express that for everyone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bridiem said:

No - I just meant that for me most of his choreography expresses a kind of distortion and chaotic lack of harmony that is what I feel to be currently abroad outside the peaceful confines of my own home. I'm aware that it doesn't express that for everyone.

Thanks for clarification. Yes, I see what you mean.

On 06/04/2020 at 11:45, Darlex said:

May I add Cinderella on the staircase to your list? I think I would avoid going to the bathroom if Ondine is there: I like the ballet, but must remember that social distancing is really necessary in this case - her kiss is fatal. Just move your bookcase: she's not known for negotiating.

Love your choice of the Mark Morris piece.

And when Bridie is referring to those who have died it’s the Pie Jesu she is associating with them, not McGegor’s choreography!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sim said:

And when Bridie is referring to those who have died it’s the Pie Jesu she is associating with them, not McGegor’s choreography!  

Thanks Sim. I think I was reading it on my phone and couldn't see the semi-colon. Now it makes perfect sense. And I admit, I was probably just rushing to bend it to my own view! 

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Darlex are you sure that email wasn’t sent out on April 1st? 

You would hope so, but unfortunately that's not the case!

1 hour ago, Anna C said:

If you need a giggle, might I suggest following Beatriz Stix-Brunell on Instagram?  Her quarantine antics, often featuring her long-suffering parents, have had me in stitches. ☺️

Seconded, she's hilarious.  Her weary dad's line "We were absolutely fine here till you came over from London" sums it up!

• Like 5

• Jan McNulty changed the title to In difficult times when we need a laugh (or our spirits uplifting)...
On 05/04/2020 at 21:40, toursenlair said:

this is very funny. The Mikhailovsky Ballet does their work from home versions of Don Q, Cinderella and Giselle. Plus how cool would it be to see Ivan VAsiliev doing a grand manege around your neighbourhood?

I forgot to mention: this got its very own slot on the BBC Ten O'Clock News last week, more or less in full, from what I recall!

• Like 2

On 07/04/2020 at 21:51, Sim said:

Who writes this stuff???🙄🤦🏻‍♀️

Well... the choreography and the performances at 'Dances at a Gathering' are sublime.  But it's true the (original) music far outweighs even that.  However, the performance of that transcendental music doesn't always suffice.

21 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Well... the choreography and the performances at 'Dances at a Gathering' are sublime.  But it's true the (original) music far outweighs even that.  However, the performance of that transcendental music doesn't always suffice.

My question referred to the fact that whoever wrote the email attributed DAAG to Ashton instead of Robbins...!

• Like 1

Is there a thread here where I can mention Metamorphosis .....just seen this on ROH website/ YouTube tonight. I've never seen it before but this doesn't seem to be the appropriate thread to comment! 

11 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Is there a thread here where I can mention Metamorphosis .....just seen this on ROH website/ YouTube tonight. I've never seen it before but this doesn't seem to be the appropriate thread to comment! 

You could put it on this one...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Better still, you could try resurrecting this one:

I'm looking forward to watching this: as it was on Sky, I've never got to see the finished product - (and see my comment about Watson's eyes)

Will get back later ....Zoom class coming up....but am not keen on reviving really old threads as people don't see the original date and think it's current ....I've done this myself a few times 🙄

Id like to keep it on a more current thread. 

Where did people comment on Peter and the Wolf also ROH site was that on Janet's thread above? I will have a read around later. 

Metamorphosis was absolutely extraordinary and amazing ❤️

But definitely not a laugh!!!!!

Edited by LinMM

Alison I did read through the comments on the 2013 thread just to see what people said about it back then and your comment about Watson’s eyes was spot on ...definitely noticed them last night the anguish and terror! 
I can’t imagine this ever being done again or not in the near future but wished I had seen it live now...amazing.