Sending love to all dance schools

Tutumuchmum

Thank you. It's very worrying for those of us who run schools and programmes. Believe it or not, many of us live pretty much hand-to-mouth. There are no reserves of profit in the bank to tide us over (with perhaps some exceptions of very large schools). 

Those of us that prioritise things like smaller classes, quality tuition, expensive teachers etc just about cover the costs of the classes we run. Those teachers who lease studios will have rent, bills, business rates etc still to pay. Teachers who hire community facilities may be luckier; in my small provincial school I hire 3 venues. One has allowed me to cancel immediately, another is looking into their own rent situation and the third which is a big leisure centre has billed me for the next month and no further into the future, but have said that I can have the same time slots when I reopen later in the year. 

Everyone is trying to do right by their pupils but ultimately, there is a risk that we will lose customers during this time. It's very scary. 

• Like 3

I worry about the lack of momentum - especially for more recreational dancers -making many just fade away & not return to classes; again a possible financial loss for (mostly the smaller) schools. We must all try keep talking dance, dance, dance as much as we can...& do all we can to remain body & mind healthy & happy!

Good Luck & Love to ALL 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, drdance said:

Thank you. It's very worrying for those of us who run schools and programmes. Believe it or not, many of us live pretty much hand-to-mouth. There are no reserves of profit in the bank to tide us over (with perhaps some exceptions of very large schools). 

Those of us that prioritise things like smaller classes, quality tuition, expensive teachers etc just about cover the costs of the classes we run. Those teachers who lease studios will have rent, bills, business rates etc still to pay. Teachers who hire community facilities may be luckier; in my small provincial school I hire 3 venues. One has allowed me to cancel immediately, another is looking into their own rent situation and the third which is a big leisure centre has billed me for the next month and no further into the future, but have said that I can have the same time slots when I reopen later in the year. 

Everyone is trying to do right by their pupils but ultimately, there is a risk that we will lose customers during this time. It's very scary. 

I am totally with you on this. I am also concerned about the pianists and the young teachers that I employ who will be without work. The halls that I use have gone into lock down so I can't even film my candidates who have had exams cancelled next week. 

• Like 3

Thinking of all the dance school owners and teachers. It must be a very worrying time for you all.

While I am able, I'll continue to pay for DD classes, we can sort out extra classes etc when all this passes. 

Its such a shame that this interrupts so many plans. We have a musical in May, scheduled to dance at Disneyland Paris in August, ballet exams mid year, annual showcase in November. Its all an unknown now. Even the later events need class time to choreograph and practice. 

Stay safe everyone xx

Edited by Creakingstool
  • Like 1

After such a long period stuck indoors you may also find that you have lots of new recruits, although I know in the meantime it will be dire. Could you ask for a percentage of fees, maybe then take it off the next terms bill as that would also make people more likely to come back?

• Like 1

Anybody else happy now that their DD’s (and DS’s!) now home from school/college! We all certainly slept better last night 😁

Leaving her to rest today and tomorrow and then plan on going in the studio to get some online classes done for my little school! Got to keep dd and my little lot busy! 
Take care and stay safe everyone and let’s hope that all our DD’s and DS’s are back doing what they love soon ❤️❤️

• Like 2

Some may not be earning and able to pay for lessons at the moment.  I appreciate the idea of paying for fees but it's worth taking into consideration.  It's a hard time for everyone and it's heartbreaking to see the impact all around.  I hope all industries recover and I'm thinking of everyone at this time.

My DD is stretching at home, practicing as she is able and missing dance already.  We obviously have commitments of school work and helping unwell relatives and those in self isolation in the mix too.

It is an awful situation - last week I gave everyone mock ballet exams and felt that they were all ready. However Saturday evening the announcement came that everything must shut down, and the next day was supposed to have been our first exam day!   Our girls dance almost every day and they are quite devastated!  Luckily,  every class has 2 WhatsApp groups - one for parents and one for students,  so I've been working with them on ballet vocabulary.  They have to film themeelves dancing the step I ask for and send it to the group. It's working very well and is giving them something fun to look forward to.  Other teachers are giving online lessons with Zoom and other things.  I think the problem is that we simply don't know how long this will last.  It's desperately difficult for the teachers and pianists who are supporting their families.  And we can't get into the studios in order to film the exams, even though they've given us the option. Just stay safe everyone............

It’s got me thinking about next term & vocational fees....

Don’t have insurance (seemed pointless to take any in GCSE year as if something made dance not possible kid would still attend as it’s exam year....) Well how foolish does that look now? Always supposing insurance would actually cover & pay our for this extraordinary situation? I hope it does for those savvy souls who did take it out...

Has anyone heard anything about what could happen if no swift return as far as next term fees etc? I appreciate schools will try provide distance learning etc but that can in no way make up for vocational dance training in studios with teachers & peers plus performance opportunities etc.... 

At same time I’m so worried for the dedicated staff across all areas of a school (teachers, house parents, cooks etc etc ) & how this impacts on them & the long term running & viability of a school...
Such desperately sad & worrying times on so many levels 😟

“If I don't practice one day, I know it; two days, the critics know it; three days, the public knows it.“ 

Some of my former students are set to graduate from 3 years training in June, I’m worried for them. What happens to their auditions and showcases? Getting a job is already an uphill battle for dance grads, this is only going to make it harder.  Another is first year vocational ballet school, they are getting daily yoga I think but we all know that won’t be enough. 

7 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

It’s got me thinking about next term & vocational fees....

Don’t have insurance (seemed pointless to take any in GCSE year as if something made dance not possible kid would still attend as it’s exam year....) Well how foolish does that look now? Always supposing insurance would actually cover & pay our for this extraordinary situation? I hope it does for those savvy souls who did take it out...

Has anyone heard anything about what could happen if no swift return as far as next term fees etc? I appreciate schools will try provide distance learning etc but that can in no way make up for vocational dance training in studios with teachers & peers plus performance opportunities etc.... 

At same time I’m so worried for the dedicated staff across all areas of a school (teachers, house parents, cooks etc etc ) & how this impacts on them & the long term running & viability of a school...
Such desperately sad & worrying times on so many levels 😟

I don’t think the fees refund scheme covers this anyway. The wording deals with illness and injury, and if the school is closed because they have a case of an infectious disease, but not because of government instructions or a global pandemic! School staff will still need paying, so I’m expecting we will get a bill next month to cover the summer term. Even with MDS it’s going to be a difficult one to receive. I worry for parents that have been forced to take unpaid leave or the self employed 😢

Edited by SissonneDoublee
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, dancefanatic said:

We’ve been told already that fees will be due as normal at Elmhurst. Provided I still earn then I am happy to do so as the staff need paying and I want there to be a fully functioning school for my DD to return to. 

I completely agree. It would be terrible to see schools struggle during this time, and in the same way local schools need our support, the vocational schools do too! I just hope emergency MDS recalculations, or something similar, can be done for those whose livelihoods have been affected.

• Like 1

Not the same situation as Vocational schools but I have already received some summer term fees from very kind (and financially able) families who want to help my Ballet school survive. They know that they will get the lessons they have paid for even if having to wait a few weeks /months. We are going to offer free online resources and tutorials to anyone who has paid, or part paid for the summer. This will be in addition to normal classes, whenever that may be. 

My worry is that young children in particular and their parents don't always realise how important correct posture, placement, turnout is and so I am dubious about livestreaming a Ballet class. 

My sincere hope is that eventually, with the right precautions and restrictions in place we will be allowed access to our venues to film the cancelled exams. 

In the meantime I have asked my pianists and teachers to help me with ideas for online resources in lieu of the lessons I have had to cancel this term. They are all freelance and very worried about the future. 

So those of you who are in a position to still be able to pay fees please know that us Ballet teachers are extremely grateful because we still have to pay our bills.

That said, on a personal level I am in support of the social distance measures because of the number of family members, friends, staff and pupils that I know who are in the vulnerable list. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dancefanatic said:

We’ve been told already that fees will be due as normal at Elmhurst. Provided I still earn then I am happy to do so as the staff need paying and I want there to be a fully functioning school for my DD to return to. 

Yes, very good point... we all want our kids to be able to go back as if neverchaving been away once they can & that will only happen if schools remain ‘as if open’ albeit with staff homeworkimg. Presumably too there will be access to various Yreadury measures to help ease the burden on schools (vocational & independent dance ) finances.... & hopefully families paying some/all fees may too benefit from some assistance....

Looking very much as if we all just have to ‘suck it up & make the best of it we can’ 

We may all be poorer but most important is we remain healthy & support all our family members, friends, colleagues & of course schools & their staff.