Non Dance Programmes you would like to see repeated on TV.

Fonty

2 hours ago, trog said:

Talking Pictures TV is a great source for old series and films.

If you like old scifi series, such as Lost in Space and Time Tunnel (starts Thurday), The Horror Channel is your choice.

I actually checked out Lost in Space again recently. Nostalgia is deceiving. One series that does stand up tho is the TV series of Logan's Run - so much better than the film. I managed to track it down again and it was just as good as I remembered. As is the TV series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - but that's another story.

I don't remember Time Travel and must check it out. Is it like Crime Traveller? That's good.

There are just so many. Where to stop?

7 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

All the Bath interiors were filmed in the house I lived in when I worked in Bath in the early noughties.  As if I didn't love this production enough anyway.

In recent years I realised how lucky I was to have lived in this house.  I realise from Homes under the Hammer that it was a house of multiple occupation but my landlord only used the bedroom floors for bedrooms.  We had use of the dining room, kitchen, sitting room, ballroom(!!!) and garden.  The hall and dining room still had the decor done by the BBC for Persuasion.

That's amazing.  May I ask where - go to Bath every Friday

Just now, penelopesimpson said:

That's amazing.  May I ask where - go to Bath every Friday

New Sydney Place - no 95 - I gather it's a "posh B&B" now.  Jane Austen lived at number 4 Sydney Place for a while.  There is a blue plaque on the outside of that house.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bridiem said:

The Lord Peter Wimsey dramatisations starring Ian Carmichael. I'm re-reading the books at the moment (last read them more than 20 years ago) and would love to see the programmes again. I loved Ian Carmichael in them!

I prefer the ones with Edward Petherbirdge personally. Apart from having brown eyes rather than blue, he's almost exactly how I imagine Lord Peter.

I've been watching quite a few old Midsomer Murders episodes on the ITV Player recently. Compared to what's happening in the real world, watching fictional people getting murdered in often bizarre ways is oddly soothing!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

Agree again, on Band of Brothers - but I have the box set dvd to watch that! 🙂

So have I.  Oh, wait - it's almost certainly in storage :( 

But talking about harrowing - and Damian Lewis: try "Warriors", a BBC series starring him, Ioan Gruffudd and Matthew Macfadyen, and set among the US "peacekeeping" forces in Bosnia - excellent.  But harrowing :(  I have it on VHS: I don't think it was ever released on DVD for some reason - and I don't currently have a working VHS player :( 

10 hours ago, alison said:

So have I.  Oh, wait - it's almost certainly in storage :( 

But talking about harrowing - and Damian Lewis: try "Warriors", a BBC series starring him, Ioan Gruffudd and Matthew Macfadyen, and set among the US "peacekeeping" forces in Bosnia - excellent.  But harrowing :(  I have it on VHS: I don't think it was ever released on DVD for some reason - and I don't currently have a working VHS player :( 

I remember that one Alison.  It was indeed harrowing, and I am not sure I would want to watch it again.  It just underlined how pointless and stupid the whole thing was.  

11 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I prefer the ones with Edward Petherbirdge personally. Apart from having brown eyes rather than blue, he's almost exactly how I imagine Lord Peter.

He certainly fitted the physical description, but although I enjoy the books and reread them periodically (in fact, I am reading one at the moment) I didn't really enjoy this series.  Not sure why, to be honest.  Partly I didn't like Harriet Walter as Harriet Vane.  She seemed a bit too shrill and nothing like I imagined the character in the book.  

Edited by Fonty

21 hours ago, Fonty said:

Currently lapping up reruns of Waking the Dead.  Goes out a bit late, but I record it.  So much better than Silent Witness, which apparently it was axed in favour of.

Seems unlikely, as Silent Witness started in 1996 and Waking the Dead started in 2000 (and ran for nine series).

52 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Seems unlikely, as Silent Witness started in 1996 and Waking the Dead started in 2000 (and ran for nine series).

Sorry, I didn't express myself very clearly. I should have said axed in favour of continuing Silent Witness.  Both programmes were really successful for the BBC.  However, apparently the powers that be decided that they could only keep one programme going so that they could bring in new stuff, and decided to keep Silent Witness.  Made the wrong choice in my opinion! 

Edited by Fonty

On 17/03/2020 at 11:15, Fonty said:

Finally, the whole series of Being Human, right from the beginning.  This originally went out late at night on BBC4, so I am not sure how big an audience it attracted, but for those that missed it, it concerned a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost all sharing a house together.  🙂  I watched all of them, and really enjoyed them.  It was one of the first things that Aidan Turner did on tv, I believe, so that should be reason enough for people to watch.  

Fonty, I see Tony Hall specificlly mentioned BBC3 content so I think the chances of you getting a re-run of Being Human on oneof the remaining BBC channels have significantly risen!

• Like 2

I have just thought of two programmes that might be appropriate to show again.

The first one is Yes Minister.  I think that would come out very well in the current political climate.

The second is Boys from the Blackstuff.  

• Like 3

Another vote for Yes Minister, I'd forgotten just how brilliant it was until I saw a clip recently.

A few other series I'd be happy to see again:

All Creatures Great and Small

The House of Eliott

You Rang, M'Lord?

Monarch of the Glen

Life on Earth

• Like 2

I know I've got the box set but Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (which were shown on the Drama channel) were an absolute hoot.

It's set in the 1920s and, as you can imagine, the costumes are absolutely ravishing.  It's one of those shows where the actors all seem to gel and the interactions between them are wonderful.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I know I've got the box set but Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (which were shown on the Drama channel) were an absolute hoot.

I think they are still being shown, aren't they?  I agree though, it was most enjoyable.  

17 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

The House of Eliott

As someone who frequently suffers from bouts of insomnia,  I know this was being shown recently on one of the Freeview channels (probably 10 or 20).  It was very early in the morning, something like 2 or 3am.  But it was great to see there was something other than infomercials.  Although some of those can be quite entertaining at times, watching good looking, immaculately clad, elegantly coiffured and perfectly made up young women extolling the virtues of the latest cleaning product/cookery gadget/exercise equipment. It is quite extraordinary how many synonyms there are for the word "amazing".  And their shiny, blindingly white teeth cast such a glow, I can dim the lights. 🙂

Another suggestion if we are all going to be self isolating for the next 12 weeks.  How about the entire original 1970s series of Upstairs Downstairs, right from the beginning.  

• Like 2

I’d like Banished to be shown again, preferably followed by a second series.  BBC2 axed it in favour of more new drama series but it was so brilliantly written and acted, despite being really harrowing to watch at times.  It finished on a series of cliffhangers too which made its cancellation even more infuriating.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I don't think I know that one.  

It's definitely of its time and maker in terms of the somewhat stiff camera work and so on, but you soon forget that with the performances.

It's my earliest television memory (cuddled against my mother) so there's probably a bit of nostalgia mixed in, but I've seen it several times since and it still holds up very well.

Edited by Lizbie1
Clarifying

As nobody responded to my idea of the complete series of the original series of Upstairs Downstairs, I assume you all have the boxed sets.

Here is another suggestion:

How about the London 2012 Olympics.  In its entirety, as it went out originally?  Of course, it probably isn't possible, and loads of people don't like sport anyway, but I for one would be glued to it all over again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

How about the London 2012 Olympics.  In its entirety, as it went out originally?  Of course, it probably isn't possible, and loads of people don't like sport anyway, but I for one would be glued to it all over again. 

My Mum and I were glued to the TV for the duration of the Olympics.  We'd had a bad feeling that they weren't going to be very successful but how wrong we were.  I would happily watch the whole Games all over again.  It was so blummin' exciting!

I used to love Upstairs Downstairs too.  Yes, a rerun of that would be welcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jm365 said:

What about the original version of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy?  I actually loved the film, but I do remember the way we used to come into work and talk about the previous night's episode.

Now that is one I actually own on dvd.  A brilliant series, warmly recommend to others if they have never seen it.  And a masterclass in acting from Alec Guinness as well.