Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, alison said:

I know it's not dance, but does anyone have any recommendations as to which of the National Theatre's two Frankenstein showings to watch, please?  I doubt I can manage 2 within a week!

I know it is a matter of personal taste --- but I saw both in the theatre - and I felt that Jonny Lee Miller had the edge as the Monster.  I'm sure others here will almost certainly have other viewpoints ... but that will be for a theatre board .... and this is - blessedly - Balletcoforum after all :) 

Edited by Bruce Wall

I just received a “Save the Date” email from ABT, with a link to its website. Apparently, there’ll be a special web streaming event via its Youtube channel on May 12 at 7pm EDT:  Together Tonight...”details to follow.”

Edited by Jeannette

2 hours ago, Jeannette said:

I just received a “Save the Date” email from ABT, with a link to its website. Apparently, there’ll be a special web streaming event via its Youtube channel on May 12 at 7pm EDT:  Together Tonight...”details to follow.”

I don't know if its just me, but I find those teaser trailers annoying, as I inevitably fail to remember to tune in to get the trailer for the new thing they are trying to 'sell'! Just tell me in the first place!

• Like 1

Teatro Colon of Buenos Aires is streaming its lovely Sleeping Beauty now (May 3) starring Nadia Muzika as Aurora. Not sure how long it will be up after this initial airing. On its YouTube channel, as well as its web Teatrocolon.org.ar/en-vivo 

7 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Teatro Colon of Buenos Aires is streaming its lovely Sleeping Beauty now (May 3) starring Nadia Muzika as Aurora. Not sure how long it will be up after this initial airing. On its YouTube channel, as well as its web Teatrocolon.org.ar/en-vivo 

The direct link to the above is here.  The production is by the Company's Director, Paloma Herrera, a former ABT principal.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

The direct link to the above is here.  The production is by the Company's Director, Paloma Herrera, a former ABT principal.  

The entire ballet remains on the Teatro Colon’s Youtube channel (until ?). The ballet begins about 10 minutes into the transmission...some preview chat/rehearsal shots during the pre-performance. This bonanza of complete ballets from around the globe,  to savour from the comfort of my living room couch, is the one ray of happiness that has come from this pandemic. Who would’ve thought?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

The entire ballet remains on the Teatro Colon’s Youtube channel (until ?). The ballet begins about 10 minutes into the transmission...some preview chat/rehearsal shots during the pre-performance. This bonanza of complete ballets from around the globe,  to savour from the comfort of my living room couch, is the one ray of happiness that has come from this pandemic. Who would’ve thought?

Correction: No longer the entire ballet, sadly. It appears that, between last night’s “live” transmission and now, the Colon has cut significant sections of the ballet, such as the fairy entourage segment that preceded the fairy solos. It was complete last night. 😔 

Dutch National Ballet have two mixed bills by Hans van Manen coming up. 

Until May 10th

"Trois Gnossiennes is a wonderful pas de deux about surrender, trust and harmony to the quiet music of Satie.

Solo is a raging relay, a 'solo' for three, because, as Van Manen stated at the time, Bach's Violin Partita cannot be danced by one person because of its murderous tempo. Immediately after the premiere, the ballet was already labelled 'a masterpiece in six minutes'.

Adagio Hammerklavier is now truly a classic, inspired by the adagio in Beethoven's music, Van Manen explored how slow a movement can be. Or, as he once typified his ode, 'a wheel that, after a move, just runs, just doesn't fall over'."

https://www.operaballet.nl/en/online/ballet/streaming

Its then Swan Lake from 9th May and a further Hans van Manen programme from 16 May. 

• Like 2

Great to see some Van Manen. Decades ago one of my favourite ballets in the Royal rep was his Four Schumann Pieces and BRB audiences used to find his Grosse Fuge very enjoyable, not to say exciting.

• Like 2

Some information about the one hour ABT programme on Tuesday, 12th May as noted in the BcoF calendar ... and here is some POB dancers during lockdown addressing a touch of Prokofiev's R & J 

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE: TOGETHER TONIGHT

ABT’S FIRST-EVER ONLINE CELEBRATION IN HONOR OF
THE 80
TH ANNIVERSARY OF AMERICA’S NATIONAL BALLET COMPANY® TO STREAM ON YOUTUBE, TUESDAY, MAY 12, 2020, 78 PM EDT, FEATURING ABT DANCERS, THE ABT ORCHESTRA
AND CELEBRITY FRIENDS

SPECIAL GUEST PERFORMANCES BY TONY BENNETT AND CYNTHIA ERIVO, WITH APPEARANCES BY KATIE COURIC, JENNIFER GARNER, KELLY RIPA AND LIEV SCHREIBER

AN EVENING OF NEW AND INNOVATIVE WORK CREATED AT A SOCIAL DISTANCE TO BENEFIT THE ABT CRISIS RELEASE FUND

A SALUTE TO ESSENTIAL WORKERS CHOREOGRAPHED BY MICHELLE DORRANCE

Misty Copeland and Calvin Royal III. Photo: Ruth Hogben.

Bringing the history, artistry and optimism of American Ballet Theatre to homes across the world, ABT presents American Ballet Theatre: Together Tonight, a gala celebration of new work created in social isolation and historical film footage to be streamed on American Ballet Theatre’s YouTube channel on Tuesday evening, May 12 from 7–8 PM EDT. This unprecedented one-hour, pre-recorded presentation will mark ABT’s 80 years through film, music and new choreography representing the Company’s tradition of celebrating the diversity and dynamism of America through the power of world- class dance. In addition, virtual experiences and one-of-a-kind items will be available through an online auction open to all ABT fans and supporters on the OneCause platform. For more information, please visit www.abt.org/TogetherTonight.

Produced by Matador Content and curated by ABT dancers and artistic staff,
ABT: Together Tonight will benefit the ABT Crisis Relief Fund, which provides needed assistance to ABT’s artistsdancers, production crew, rehearsal pianists, ballet masters and education faculty directly impacted by loss of income due to the COVID-19 health crisis. Gala guests will be able to donate online to the fund throughout the evening through ABT’s website.

Headliners and Celebrity Guests

Headliners for ABT: Together Tonight include the legendary Tony Bennett singing Fly Me to the Moon to adapted choreography by Jessica Lang (Let Me Sing Forevermore) performed on location in Central Park by ABT Soloists Catherine Hurlin and Aran Bell, a talented couple who are sheltering in place together. Oscar nominee and Tony Award® winner Cynthia Erivo performs America the Beautiful against a backdrop of ABT artists  and everyday Americans  dancing across the nation and the world as they stay at home, #AloneButTogether.

Special guests scheduled to toast ABT’s 80th Anniversary during Together Tonight include Katie Couric, Jennifer Garner, Kelly Ripa, Renée Elise Goldsberry, Julianna Margulies, Margaret Qualley, Chita Rivera, Deborah Roberts, Liev Schreiber, Al Roker, Nate Berkus, Jeremiah Brent, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Julio Bocca, Roberto Bolle, Alessandra Ferri and Carla Fracci.

80th Anniversary Tribute and New Work

ABT: Together Tonight, narrated by ABT dancers and leaders, celebrities, alumni and special guests, will present viewers with rarely-seen glimpses of ABT’s 80-year history in footage of past performances. Gala guests will also enjoy interviews with ABT artists, celebrity greetings, performances by the ABT Orchestra, and a video montage with members of the ABT Studio Company and students of the ABT Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School introduced by New York Yankees pitcher Adam Ottavino.

Additional highlights of the gala evening will include a tribute to the 20th Anniversary of Kevin McKenzie’s Swan Lake and newly adapted choreography by tap dance legend Michelle Dorrance, created to honor frontline essential workers everywhere. Dorrance’s percussive dance, adapted from her 2018 work Dream within a Dream (deferred), will be performed by the Company’s current roster of dancers, filmed from their home locations, and conclude with footage of the daily 7 PM #ClapBecauseWeCareNYC celebration of health care workers. A new work by choreographer Jessica Lang entitled Our Common Fate, set to David Lang’s the national anthems, will feature ABT dancers and ABT Studio Company members performing from locations across the country.

Online ABT80 Auction to Benefit ABT Crisis Relief

An online auction of unique ABT items and virtual experiences will be available for bidding throughout the evening’s program to benefit the ABT Crisis Relief Fund. Virtual offerings include ABT dancers conducting cooking classes, ballet lessons, conversations, specialized workouts and children’s story times. Guests can bid on items beginning Friday, May 8 through Thursday, May 14, 2020 on the OneCause platform.

For more information on American Ballet Theatre, online offerings and the ABT Crisis Relief Fund, please visit www.abt.org/TogetherTonight.

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

On the whole I've got to say that I am not really interested in who is married to whom...

I don't care who is married or not, but I think a woman (and a dancer) should be identified by her name, not as "wife of x".

• Like 5