Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

5 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Well I was more than happy with the Danes dancing it.  I watched it last night using the link provided by Jane S in the specific RDB streaming thread.

I thought it was good too, Janet.... but NOTHING beats Ashley (lovely to see her at the RDB curtain call - Balanchine certainly knew her strengths when he created it for her and devilishly difficult it is too) and Woetzel (both had that acute laser like attack and musicality through speed) in my opinion.  I was so lucky to see them do it any number of times.  Seventeen minutes of utter bliss.   NEVER to be forgotten.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

I thought it was good too, Janet.... but NOTHING beats Ashley (lovely to see her at the RDB curtain call - Balanchine certainly knew her strengths when he created it for her and devilishly difficult it is too) and Woetzel (both had that acute laser like attack and musicality through speed) in my opinion.  I was so lucky to see them do it any number of times.  Seventeen minutes of utter bliss.   NEVER to be forgotten.  

Thank goodness the likes of YouTube can give us insights into other dancers who were around either before our time or in companies we don't have the opportunity to see live.  And, indeed, to see dancers of whom we have fond memories.

• Like 4

Although it isn't ballet, some might enjoy watching the original play.  I received this from the Globe:

Watch Romeo and Juliet for free on our YouTube channel from 7.00pm tomorrow.

Don't miss the second of six productions that we are streaming for free on our YouTube channel, one at a time, on rotation every two weeks.

On Monday 20 April from 7.00pm, you'll be able to watch our 2009 production of Romeo and Juliet directed by Dominic Dromgoole with Ellie Kendrick as Juliet, and Adetomiwa Edun as Romeo. Subscribe to our YouTube channel now to set yourself a reminder.

Can't join us on Monday evening? The film will be available to watch as many times as you like until Sunday 3 May.

• Like 3

New York City Ballet are offering a host of programmes - both repertory and special events - with each programme being available free-of-charge for 72 hours on NYCB’s YouTube channelFacebook page, and website home page ... .... Core Company rep (e.g., Balanchine/Robbins) will be on Tuesdays and new choreographers (e.g., Peck, Wheeldon, etc.) will be on Fridays.  

The first instalment on Tuesday 21 April, will feature a performance of George Balanchine’s Allegro Brillante that was filmed on 18 January 2017, featuring Tiler Peck and Andrew Veyette in the principal roles, with an introduction by Stafford.

The second night of programming on Friday 24 April will feature the World Premiere performance of Justin Peck’s Rotunda, which took place on 26 February 2020, set to a commissioned score by composer Nico Muhly. 

Additional repertory for the digital season will feature performances by all of the Company’s current roster of Principal Dancers in works by choreographers Kyle Abraham, Mauro Bigonzetti, Alexei Ratmansky, Gianna Reisen, Pam Tanowitz, and Christopher Wheeldon.

Tuesday, April 27
George Balanchine’s Apollo, filmed on January 22, 2019.
Featuring Taylor Stanley, Tiler Peck, Brittany Pollack, and Indiana Woodward. Introduced by Ballet Master Craig Hall.

Friday, May 1
George Balanchine’s Ballo Della Regina, filmed on May 12, 2016, and Christopher Wheeldon's After the Rain Pas de Deux, filmed on October 9, 2012.
Featuring Megan Fairchild and Anthony Huxley in Ballo Della Regina and Wendy Whelan and Craig Hall in After the Rain Pas de Deux. Introduced by Associate Artistic Director Wendy Whelan.

For updates on programming visit nycballet.com/digitalspring throughout the course of the six-week season.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I know we have a time difference with USA but I didn't think it crossed the International Date line - Tuesday is 28th April! 

Good catch ... Guess that teaches me to copy straight over from the NYCB website :) .... 

Being in the vulnerable group several times over - and not having left my flat now for six weeks and four days - I find time somehow melds as it is! ... It will come when it will come.  

• Like 1

I've had an email from Ballet Black:

#BBonFilm
Dear Janet

We are missing our wonderful BB audience! 

So, we decided to beam some BB magic into your homes and onto your phones with #BBonFilm, featuring special viewings of some of our acclaimed ballets and classes taught by our lovely company dancers!

#BBonFilm Schedule 
6390afd0-16a2-441f-9f7d-04282684562f.jpg

House of Dreams (2017) 
by Michael Corder

House of Dreams is a sparkling quartet exploring themes of love and loss set to the delicate music of Claude Debussy with costume designs from Ballet Black’s long-term collaborator, Yukiko Tsukamoto.

Watch Ballet Black on Film
Available Now

SUNDAY 26th April 2020
f428e16c-3cd9-4e9d-b0e1-2759978e49ac.jpg

Captured (2012)
by Martin Lawrance

A four-hander by Martin Lawrancecharacterised by intricate detail and propulsive energy; Captured ebbs and flows to the fiery emotion of Lawrance’s edgy choreography, set to a Shostakovich string quartet.

Available for 7 days from 26 April - 2 May. 

SUNDAY 3rd May 2020
6f8543fd-c01d-4aa2-b68d-b9eb1d6674fd.jpg

Ingoma (2019) 
by Mthuthuzeli November 

Ingoma (song) is by company dancer and choreographer Mthuthuzeli November, who has received nominations from the Critics’ Circle National Dance Awards (Best Emerging Artist) and the Olivier Awards (Best New Dance Production). 
8e1122c8-34b0-4263-9886-5f091101411d.jpg

Ingoma is a fusion of ballet, African dance and singing. Ingoma portrays a milestone in South African history and imagines the struggles of black South African miners and their families in 1946 – when 60,000 of them took courageous strike action, and is inspired by Song of the Pick, a painting by South African artist, Gerard Sekoto (1913-1993), and the poem, Blue Head (2018) written specially for this ballet by Asisipho Ndlovu Malunga

Available for 7 days from 3-10 May.

Subscribe to Ballet Black YouTube

Beginner Ballet Class
0af37577-362c-44dd-ac32-517ad3993ead.jpg

Adult Beginners Balletwith Senior Artist José Alves 

A perfect introduction to a ballet class to get you moving!

SUNDAY 26th April at 12 o'clock (midday BST)

Join via Instagram Live @originalballetblack
  • Like 1

Yet another Sleeping Beauty ... this time a Finish one (https://oopperabaletti.fi/en/stage24/sleeping-beauty-recording/) - replete with a very real hunt at the opening of the second act ... replete with a fleet of deer ... and two Boots (or is that four ... boots that is :) in the third ... ) fighting over the same Puss.  Strangely the Bluebird PDD is adagio only ... but there is a Cinderella who seems to be as infatuated with chocolates as she is her Prince.  Available until October!!! ... 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Hamburg ballet in Death in Venice. Weird and almost wonderful. I do wonder what a ballet by Neumeier made for Ed Watson would have been like. Lloyd Riggins  is totally mesmerising and I noticed that Alexandre Riabko who danced the name part in Nijinsky is in it.Looking forward to their other programmes

New streams by Béjart Ballet Lausanne:

For four days, the following ballets can be streamed for free on the homepage of bejart.ch

Swan Song by Giorgio Madia and Eclats by Julio Arozarena

From Thursday April 30 to Sunday May 3, 2020

Piaf by Maurice Béjart

From Thursday May 7 to Sunday May 10, 2020

Kyôdaï by Gil Roman

From Thursday May 14 to Sunday May 17, 2020

The Béjart Ballet Lausanne On China Tour, a documentary directed by Arantxa Aguirre

From Thursday May 21 to Sunday May 24, 2020

空Ku by Yuka Oishi

From Thursday May 28 to Sunday May 31, 2020 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

I do wonder what a ballet by Neumeier made for Ed Watson would have been like.

Oh I can imagine him in so many Neumeier roles, also as Nijinsky... Cojocaru made a great choice to become guest principal at Hamburg. Neumeier's works may be tedious for some British or American ballet audiences, but they are heaven for dramatic dancers.

• Like 3

I must say how much I've appreciated being able to keep ballets playing in picture-in-picture mode on my screen while I've been working.  Vimeo has that option, and another streaming program, but I don't think YouTube does, does it?  If it does, please do let me know!

Japan's Star Dancers Ballet is currently streaming Ballet Dragon Quest, based on the popular video game. The streamed version was filmed at Japan Expo in Paris last summer, and is a condensed 40 minute version but very enjoyable.

• Like 1