Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some excitement in the new year!

Jan 14 @ 19:30 (CET) - 18:30 UK/13:30 eastern USA:

Vienna State Ballet’s livestream of a triple bill that includes the rarely-seen Liebeslieder Walzer by Balanchine/Brahms; Robbins’ Other Dances; and L. Child’s’ Concerto:

https://play.wiener-staatsoper.at/event/0a2c4bf1-21f0-4992-8635-fe0489d76e31

These are usually available for 24 hrs. after the initial stream. Free. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of Vienna…

We cannot forget the Vienna Philharmonic’s annual New Year’s Day concert, always featuring a couple of works performed by the Vienna State Ballet. Some details in English on this PBS (US) website, including the full list of musical offerings. One of the ballets seems to be the “1,001 Nights Waltz” by Strauss, Jr., filmed in Schoenbrunn.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/great-performance-from-vienna-the-new-years-celebration-2022-about/13282/

Additional info (German) + lovely photos on this site:

https://tv.orf.at/program/orf2/neujahrsko550.html

This is telecast across the world on Jan 1 & streamed soon after. Check your local listings.

Happy 2022! 🥂 

Edited by Jeannette

5 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Speaking of Vienna…

We cannot forget the Vienna Philharmonic’s annual New Year’s Day concert, always featuring a couple of works performed by the Vienna State Ballet. Some details in English on this PBS (US) website, including the full list of musical offerings. One of the ballets seems to be the “1,001 Nights Waltz” by Strauss, Jr., filmed in Schoenbrunn.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/great-performance-from-vienna-the-new-years-celebration-2022-about/13282/

This is telecast across the world on Jan 1 & streamed soon after. Check your local listings.

Happy 2022! 🥂 

Also live on BBC 2 at 10:15 GMT and highlights on BBC 4 at 1900

5 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Vienna State Ballet’s livestream of a triple bill that includes the rarely-seen Liebeslieder Walzer by Balanchine/Brahms; Robbins’ Other Dances; and L. Child’s’ Concerto:

I see Maria Calegari and Bart Cook are responsible for the Balanchine - and Isabelle Guérin is covering the Robbins - which should - in principle at least - give them a certain sheen if their own past performances in these works are anything to go by.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/12/2021 at 14:52, Jeannette said:

Today’s the day! Just a reminder of the free livestream from Vienna. Link in the above post. Enjoy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Many thanks Jeannette for highlighting this. All new to me and fabulous to see. I’m sure I’ll watch it again in the next couple of days (and I’ll fast forward the interval).

Just watched it live. Wasn’t it sublime? Lovely performance, so well filmed.…e.g., knowing when to employ close-ups, medium or far distance. All three works are delights. How lucky can we be?

p.s. Childs’ Concerto is new to me…packing a punch in 10 minutes.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2021 at 19:52, Jeannette said:

This is showing now. There seems to be a gap of nearly 10 minutes at the start, then,  just under 45 minutes,  another intermission of about 7 minutes then it plays on until the end. I haven't had chance to see all of it yet but it looks interesting and most pieces new to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

This is showing now. There seems to be a gap of nearly 10 minutes at the start, then,  just under 45 minutes,  another intermission of about 7 minutes then it plays on until the end. I haven't had chance to see all of it yet but it looks interesting and most pieces new to me.

Yes, it's a very interesting programme, one of Robbins's masterpieces, a short piece by Lucinda Childs that is very exhilarating but just as I was beginning to think it was going on too long it finishes, and a rather untypical ballet by Balanchine, that is rarely danced, at least in Europe.

Before Liebeslieder Walzer starts there is a fascinating discussion of the ballet by the two Balanchine stagers, Maria Calegari, a wonderful dancer in her time, and Bart Cook, one of my favourite NYCB dancers ever, so musical and so 'bendy' that it would have been lovely to see him try Ashton, remarkable in masterpieces such as Four Temperaments.

Very well worth watching.

• Like 3

I've just watched it. Well, most of it. I gave up on the "Concerto" piece after a few minutes. The choreography was doing nothing for me & the relentless music was giving me a headache. I enjoyed the other two pieces. Other Dances seemed a similar idiom to Dances At A Gathering, including various folk-dance-esque steps. The Liebeslieder Waltzes felt a bit like the sort of cutaway videos they do during the Vienna New Year's Concert, with the dancers doing as much ballroom as ballet. I didn't really get why the ladies changed part-way through then were back in their original costumes at the very end. Was the section when they were in pointe shoes supposed to be some sort of fantasy sequence?

Edited by Dawnstar

Dawnstar, in the discussion before Liebeslieder Waltzes is performed, Bart Cook says that in the first part the dances are social, that's why they are mostly more formal, and in the second half the dancers express their emotions and individuality. I imagine your notion of fantasy is not too far off the mark. I think Balanchine's later Vienna Waltzes is initially easier to relate to.

You are right that Other Dances has similarities to Dances at a Gathering, although it was created 7 years later, for Baryshnikov and Makarova, not New York City Ballet dancers, but to Chopin again.

• Like 4

@SheilaC Thanks. I guess I should have listened to the interval discussion, but I didn't start watching until later than I'd intended so skipped through the interval to save time.

I might have thought it was similar to Dances At A Gathering simply because that's the only other Robbins ballet I've seen.

Edited by Dawnstar

17 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

@SheilaC Thanks. I guess I should have listened to the interval discussion, but I didn't start watching until later than I'd intended so skipped through the interval to save time.

I might have thought it was similar to Dances At A Gathering simply because that's the only other Robbins ballet I've seen.

I didn't mean you weren't right, Dawnstar, about it having similarities to Dances, it certainly does- and a clue is in the title 'Other' Dances, and the Chopin piano music. He made several ballets to Chopin, including the hilarious The Concert and the moving In The Night, both of which the Royal Ballet has danced.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

I didn't mean you weren't right, Dawnstar, about it having similarities to Dances, it certainly does- and a clue is in the title 'Other' Dances, and the Chopin piano music. He made several ballets to Chopin, including the hilarious The Concert and the moving In The Night, both of which the Royal Ballet has danced.

Hence: https://trockadero.org/about-us/repertory/ballets/yes-virginia/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SheilaC said:

I forgot The Concert is Robbins. In that case I've seen 2 other Robbins ballets!

Edited by Dawnstar

5 hours ago, SheilaC said:

5 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Whilst we are on the topic of the Trocks, does anyone know whether Chase Johnsey still dances, or is he now a full time artistic director and, for that matter, how successful is he in that role?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am not sure this is the right palace to post but a newly filmed Swan Lake by National Ballet of Ukraine is now available for free. It has been filmed for the Japanese audience as their tour in December was canceled, but of course everyone can watch. The Japanese promoter will collect donations for the theatre which is of course in great danger. 

cast 

Odette/Odile:Anna MUROMTSEVA Siegfried:Mykyta SUKHORUKOV Rothbart:Vitalii NETRUNENKO

Mother Queen:Liudmyla MELNYK

Prince's mentor:Mykhailo ZAGREBA

Pas de Trois:Kateryna DIDENKO,Oleksandra PANCHENKO,Andrii GAVRYSHKIV

Small swans:Tetiana SOKOLOVA,Ievgenia KORSHUNOVA,Inna CHORNA,Kateryna CHUPINA

Big swans:Tetiana MAZNIAK,Oleksandra PANCHENKO,Ielizaveta GOGIDZE,Kseniia STETSENKO

SpanishDance:Inna BUZYLO,Natalia IAKUSHKINA,Sergii KLIACHIN,Dmytro ALEXANDROV

Neapolitan Dance:Oleksandr SKULKIN HungarianDance:Ksenia Ivanenko,Volodymyr Kutuzov

Brides:Iryna BORYSOVA,Ielizaveta GOGIDZE, Tetiana MAZNIAK, Oleksandra PANCHENKO

Conductor:Oleksii Baklan National Opera Theatre of Ukraine Orchestra

• Like 11

K-Ballet Company will stream Tetsuya Kumakawa's Clarimonde - La Morte Amoureuse”  for free but limited on March 5th 0:00-24:00 Japan time.

Sena Hidaka, former principal at Tulsa Ballet is in the title role. 

Based on Theophile Gautier's poem, it was quite an enjoyable gothic love story ballet about an hour long. 

Edited by Naomi M
  • Like 2

This isn't easy watching, but I thought some might find this interesting. It's produced by the Fallen Angels Dance Theatre, company-in-residence at Storyhouse here in Chester, and founded by former Birmingham Royal Ballet and Scottish Ballet dancer and recovering addict Paul Bayes Kitcher. Fallen Angels exist to provide 'exceptional dance theatre experiences for people in recovery from addiction' and are wholly admirable! It's the first of a trilogy of films to be released over the coming weeks that use professional dancers and actors plus Fallen Angels dancers recovering from addiction to trace the journey from addiction to recovery. This first film features Hannah Rudd, last seen by me back in June guesting with BRB.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, ChrisG said:

This isn't easy watching, but I thought some might find this interesting. It's produced by the Fallen Angels Dance Theatre, company-in-residence at Storyhouse here in Chester, and founded by former Birmingham Royal Ballet and Scottish Ballet dancer and recovering addict Paul Bayes Kitcher. Fallen Angels exist to provide 'exceptional dance theatre experiences for people in recovery from addiction' and are wholly admirable! It's the first of a trilogy of films to be released over the coming weeks that use professional dancers and actors plus Fallen Angels dancers recovering from addiction to trace the journey from addiction to recovery. This first film features Hannah Rudd, last seen by me back in June guesting with BRB.

I am very proud to volunteer for Fallen Angels in a small way.  I find Paul and the work he is doing with his company really very inspirational.  As Chris G says it's not an easy watch but very worthwhile.

Kyiv Ballet’s Nutcracker is currently streaming for free provided by Bel Air Classics where a dvd of this recording is issued. There is another full length of Nutcracker online, the same production but the cast is different. Please support this wonderful Ukraine National Ballet. 

the other Nutcracker recording

• Like 3